Likes Likes:  0

Thread: low lines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

low lines

HI there to all
    My low line drains out the bottom of trailer are not foamed to keep crud out, should they be, dealer says grand design says no, none of them are. doesn't seem right,
    any thoughts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're concerned about it, use Great Stuff foam sealant. I've used this before in the areas where I cut the coroplast clearance for the Sumo shocks that I mounted on our rig.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

It would help to know which model trailer you have. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

low lines

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    If you're concerned about it, use Great Stuff foam sealant. I've used this before in the areas where I cut the coroplast clearance for the Sumo shocks that I mounted on our rig.
    thank you very much , i will get some

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, I've never seen a trailer where the low point drains aren't foamed in. Just bought our '21 Reflection and they are foamed in. As mentioned, just grab a can of foam and fill the hole.

These low point drains frustrate me to say the least. For one, they hang outside where they could freeze. Not sure if the interior heat is enough to keep them from doing it, depends on the outside temp I guess. Two, those screw on caps require both hands to loosen, meaning you have to get at least partially under the trailer. Three, when you get under the trailer to take them off, you get sprayed when they start to drain.

Surely there is a better way. I'd think a remote cable activated 3-way valve would be better. It would keep the water in the lines inside where the heat is. The 3-way would allow the tube from the valve to the outside to drain out once the valve is closed to stop flow from the lines above.

I've been thinking about modifying mine. I might try a pair of 12V 3-way solenoid valves for the drains. I can run them both off the same switch.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    OP, I've never seen a trailer where the low point drains aren't foamed in. Just bought our '21 Reflection and they are foamed in. As mentioned, just grab a can of foam and fill the hole.

These low point drains frustrate me to say the least. For one, they hang outside where they could freeze. Not sure if the interior heat is enough to keep them from doing it, depends on the outside temp I guess. Two, those screw on caps require both hands to loosen, meaning you have to get at least partially under the trailer. Three, when you get under the trailer to take them off, you get sprayed when they start to drain.

Surely there is a better way. I'd think a remote cable activated 3-way valve would be better. It would keep the water in the lines inside where the heat is. The 3-way would allow the tube from the valve to the outside to drain out once the valve is closed to stop flow from the lines above.

I've been thinking about modifying mine. I might try a pair of 12V 3-way solenoid valves for the drains. I can run them both off the same switch.
    Several posts on this very topic of relocating the lower drain lines and adding drain valves. A quick search may give you some ideas what others have done.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Several posts on this very topic of relocating the lower drain lines and adding drain valves. A quick search may give you some ideas what others have done.
    Ya, I just threw that out there. I'll search around on it when I get to the point of having time to do it. Thanks.

I may just remove them all together as some have done. I use air to winterize anyway. It will blow out.
    Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-30-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here