User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first started looking I was trying to avoid a monster truck (silly me, I love my monster truck now!!), but I asked the same question to the dealer.
    Using 150 in the name is a bit of a misnomer - what those rigs are really setup for is a shorter bed truck (hence the sliding hitch coupling), NOT really a 150/1500.
    Poor naming choice from GD, IMO.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, but my dealer tried to convince me when I explained lack of truck availability. Also encouraged me to buy unit before I had a tow vehicle and they would deliver it to a storage lot (for a fee). My momma didn’t raise no fools.
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can but with a caveat, see my signature below. I'd also advise against towing any fifth wheel or larger bumper pull trailer with a short bed pick up, wheelbase is your friend providing stability.
    To expand on another's comments Heavy Duty Payload Package and Heavy Tow Package are two very different things with differing purposes. An F150 can be built with HDPP and not have a tow package.
    I have replied to this question quite a few times in the last few years so if you do a search you can get my perspective on the question.
    A better place to ask F150 specific towing questions where you would get better informed and more knowledgeable responses is here: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-05-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    When we first started looking I was trying to avoid a monster truck (silly me, I love my monster truck now!!), but I asked the same question to the dealer.
    Using 150 in the name is a bit of a misnomer - what those rigs are really setup for is a shorter bed truck (hence the sliding hitch coupling), NOT really a 150/1500.
    Poor naming choice from GD, IMO.
    Don’t do it! We had the same choice. Decided on a 2500RB trailer. I have the HD F150. Love the truck. Have hauled to Key West, Grand Canyon. Santa Fe, Bryce and across the Great Divide in Colorado. The truck is a beast. But…. I am so glad we went from the Refection 150 5th wheel to the Imagine TT.

You never want to have too little truck! I’m sure my F150 could haul a Reflection 150 most places. I am also sure there would be places I would worry about. I don’t need any more worries! Good luck and enjoy life on the road.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 290 BH. I pull it with a dodge Laramie 2500. 6.7 Cummins. It is almost not enough truck. I definitely would not pull with anything less.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glmflyer View Post
    I have a 290 BH. I pull it with a dodge Laramie 2500. 6.7 Cummins. It is almost not enough truck. I definitely would not pull with anything less.
    A 290BH and a 260RD are two different things completely. I did a lot of homework to get to my decisions on the truck and fifth wheel. All my numbers especially payload are well within comfortable margins. The truck pulls, handles and rides well. I now have over 18000 miles traveling the East Coast from Maine to Florida. So don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Your big lump of a diesel up front takes up all the payload so you are probably towing on the hairy edge.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-08-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To expand on another's comments Heavy Duty Payload Package and Heavy Tow Package are two very different things with differing purposes. An F150 can be built with HDPP and not have a tow package.
    have replied to this question quite a few times in the last few years so if you do a search you can get my perspective on the question.

If you try cannot build with HDPP unless you add the max tow Ford will add it and if you try to delete max tow it will remove HDPP.
    2019 Imagine 3170BH
    2020 F-250 XLT 7.3 Gas
    Carleton, MI 48117

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstreet5 View Post
    have replied to this question quite a few times in the last few years so if you do a search you can get my perspective on the question.

If you try cannot build with HDPP unless you add the max tow Ford will add it and if you try to delete max tow it will remove HDPP.
    Then you are not trying hard enough. Spec one with the 5.0 engine and HDPP. Spec HDPP with a 3.5 Eco engine and the Max Tow package is a forced option.
    EDIT: I take that back, apparently Ford changed the build and price tool to include Max Tow with both engine options for this model year.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-09-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't satisfied even with our F250 gas pulling our 290BH 150 series (about 10K GVWR). The hills killed us. It had a hard time pulling in 6th gear on flats with 15/20 mph winds. Granted, the Ecoboost 150 makes more torque than our truck. All things considered, if the weight stickers and such all work out, it depends on how far from home you are going, what you are comfortable with, and what you can tolerate.

The guy I bought the trailer off of pulled it with his 150 Ecoboost, he only did trips close to home but never had any problems. I've since upgraded to diesel and can't believe the difference in towing, but that's not feasible for everyone and I get that.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2018 F-350 Lariat DRW CC LB 6.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several of the folks who have offered advice to you have been a part of this forum, part of the RV community, for a long time, and are very knowledgeable. Their advice is usually spot on.

We have a 2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL. When we decided to buy it, we were looking at towing it with my 2018 F150 3.5L EcoBoost with a 3.55 rear axle. After looking carefully at the towing capacity, payloads, weights, etc., and seeking advice from experienced RV’ers, we came to the conclusion that we needed a bigger truck; it was more a safety issue than towing capacity. When my wife asked if the F150 would pull the 295RL, the answer was “Yes, ma’am. But I don't think it will stop it coming down a mountain grade.” We wound up finding a 2017 Ram 2500 w/ the 6.7L Cummins diesel. The combination has been great, and having the exhaust brake on the diesel makes handling grades a breeze.

All that said, if I were towing anything other than a GD 150 Series 5’er, I would opt for a 1 ton truck, probably DRW. Upgrading to a larger 5’er, such as a Reflection or a Solitude, would require us to upgrade the tow vehicle as well. If you think you might go larger on your 5’er further down the road, think ahead on your tow vehicle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast