User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer110 View Post
    I wasn't satisfied even with our F250 gas pulling our 290BH 150 series (about 10K GVWR). The hills killed us. It had a hard time pulling in 6th gear on flats with 15/20 mph winds. Granted, the Ecoboost 150 makes more torque than our truck. All things considered, if the weight stickers and such all work out, it depends on how far from home you are going, what you are comfortable with, and what you can tolerate.

The guy I bought the trailer off of pulled it with his 150 Ecoboost, he only did trips close to home but never had any problems. I've since upgraded to diesel and can't believe the difference in towing, but that's not feasible for everyone and I get that.
    Two things you may not have considered are the final gear ratio in the rear housing and in that transmission 6th gear is an overdrive gear. Downshifting to 5th or even fourth on hills you would have seen a difference. Locking out the overdrive altogether would have been better.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not that it adds much to this discussion, since I have/had older models, but...
    My 2012 F-150 has the HDPP and Max Tow, with the 3.5 Eco. (Mandatory 3.73 gearing) I towed a Jayco 26.5RLS 5th all over. Went to all three coasts and over many high mountain ranges. Could always stay up to speed, and pass any semi laboring up long, very high, passes that I wanted to. Going down multi-mile 6-7% grades was never an issue. MPG was 10.5 averaged over 14,000 miles. Payload for the truck is 2166. At the scale, with wife, dogs, and all gear came in right at that number. A tree branch put an unseen tear in the roof, and subsequent rain on the 2 month trip caused delamination to start. Insurance totaled it.
    At the time I went shopping for a replacement, ALL similar sized 5ths had gained weight. GD had just came out with their 150 series, which pretty much matched the other brands. The math came back indicating that I would be 200-500 lbs over weight, depending on how I ran the numbers, and depending on the brand/model. Not willing to do that, so I got the Imagine in my signature.
    A new, aluminum body f-150 properly equipped will be able to handle one, but it won't have much excess of capacity. Would I do it again - buying the fifth and the F-150 to match? If I still needed the truck to be a daily driver, and the costs fell in line, YES! But if the "daily driver" part is less of a concern, then I'd start looking at other "bigger truck" options and weigh the needs of care/feeding/cost of one vs. getting an F-150 that would be close to the edge.
    While the Imagine 2670MK suits our camping to a "T", the irksome issues are: Much longer overall length for the same interior space, making finding appropriately sized sites a bit harder (and a bit harder to back in to!). And due to terrible aerodynamics, mpg is now around 8, which really gets to me, even though I know that that cost is more than offset by not buying a different truck or much more expensive 5th.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ace, thanks for the insights, you are correct on both counts. I was just giving some perspective on how the towing went for me with real-world examples. It had a 3.73 rear which isn't the best for towing already, I would lock out 6th based on recommendations from this forum in other posts before we even started rolling. My choices would be to creep up hills at 40 mph or less on the highway, or have the truck screaming in 3rd gear for the duration of the incline. It was nervewracking for us, and I hated having to "manage" every hill we came upon. My genius math didn't work out in that instance! I thought 3/4 ton truck, 150 series trailer, piece of cake. Not so much.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2018 F-350 Lariat DRW CC LB 6.7

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie26 View Post
    Hello:

We are still in the process of picking out a new unit and have been eying up the new Imagine XLS 23LDE. But then I stumbled on the Reflection 150 Series 22RK, a new smaller fifth wheel that seems to be basically the same floor plan as the 23LDE. And I noted it also is short bed friendly!

Anyhow, I know manufacturers love to use "1/2 ton towable" and "150 series" and similar names, but are they really 1/2 ton towable? Is there anyone on here that's towing a Reflection 150 with their 1/2 ton? We considered buying a 3/4 ton truck, but A: they are about impossible to find in Canada these days, and B: we just preferred the feel of the F150 vs a larger truck and C: The 150 was enough money, never mind moving up! LOL. But I'd also love to have a fifth wheel....

So our truck is a 2021 F150 Supercrew XLT-- Short bed. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost 10 speed, 3.55 rear end, max tow package with an 1852 pound payload. It's just us and the dog -- no kids. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    I don't recommend it.

We have the exact same setup. Truck and Trailer except I upgraded to LT tires. While the F-150 can pull the trailer I don't find it comfortable at all. Truck feels 'light' and the trailer will wonder a bit when being passed by semis. Didn't do any mountain driving, so can't comment on that. Fuel economy wasn't great either, averaging 20-25 l/100kms.I scaled both truck and trailer and truck alone, and my listed payload of 1792 was only around 1500. With about 8000 on the trailer, I was 400 over on the truck's GVWR of 7050.

Also, with the 5.5 box and the Turning Point active, I still managed to smash the high mounted rear brake light on the back of the cab ($350).

The 2022 F-350 is getting built the week of March 28th.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20% is the optimum pin weight. 15-25% recommended by truck manufactures.
    7200lbs loaded will be over 8,000 lbs. 8,000lbs x20% = 1600 lbs. Add the wife and gear and you're in the 2,000lb load for the truck.
    Doesn't look doable.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing with a 2-21 F350 FX4 7.3 gas, 3.73 SB a bit of a dog uphill, does not pull like my 95 7.3 Power Stroke but not putting enough miles on it to justify a Diesel. When we bout the truck in Mar of 2021 it was one of only 2 F350s within 50 mi radius of St. Louis, we had been shopping since Oct of 20 for truck.

Companion puck hitch. Dealer originally had mounted 5th wheel pivot 3 inch in front of axle, dimpled both side of cab with tight turn, took it back to consider turning point active or slider. Instead reversed arms of hitch, now 1 inch in front of axle no problems with contact.

Have not yet weighed since I have no used it much waiting for parts for a door warranty issue.
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone looked at a price difference in a 1/2 ton with all the top towing adders that can be added to the truck -vs- 3/4 ton.
    Jill and Mark
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Silverado LTZ HD Duramax
    (Previously Salem Hemisphere 286RL)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado2016 View Post
    Has anyone looked at a price difference in a 1/2 ton with all the top towing adders that can be added to the truck -vs- 3/4 ton.
    If you do a build N price on the Ford site then an F150 XLT with the Heavy Duty Payload Package, tow mirrors and 3.5 EcoBoost with no other trim options, just a base XLT it comes in at $56,255.
    An F250 XLT with the 7.3 gas and no other trims addons comes in at $53,165.
    Both were 4x4 CC and 6.5 beds.
    Even though the F250 starts higher it already has what the F150 needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado2016 View Post
    I posted this in 2019, but maybe still somewhat true ??

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ck-Information

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go on the Ford site and order up an F150 and an F250 both Super Crew, 6.5" bed 2wd in an XLT without anything at all just the base on those body configurations are as follows.
    F150 $44,695
    F250 $46,630

The F150 jumps dramatically just by going to the Super Crew 6.5" bed in an XLT. Thats why unless you savor a softer and not really that much softer 1/2 ton ride and a little better MPG's you are paying for it.
    An HDPP option F150 won't be all that much better riding than an F250 and the 3.73 gears that come with the HDPP option hurt the mpg's.

Now add the options to make the F150 more capable and you'll need to spend
    $5500 more.
    3.5 Eco=1600
    Heavy Duty Payload Package+Max Tow=$5500
    Tow Mirrors=$450
    Last edited by goducks14; 03-03-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast