User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 150 Series -- Can they really be towed with a 1/2 ton?

Hello:

We are still in the process of picking out a new unit and have been eying up the new Imagine XLS 23LDE. But then I stumbled on the Reflection 150 Series 22RK, a new smaller fifth wheel that seems to be basically the same floor plan as the 23LDE. And I noted it also is short bed friendly!

Anyhow, I know manufacturers love to use "1/2 ton towable" and "150 series" and similar names, but are they really 1/2 ton towable? Is there anyone on here that's towing a Reflection 150 with their 1/2 ton? We considered buying a 3/4 ton truck, but A: they are about impossible to find in Canada these days, and B: we just preferred the feel of the F150 vs a larger truck and C: The 150 was enough money, never mind moving up! LOL. But I'd also love to have a fifth wheel....

So our truck is a 2021 F150 Supercrew XLT-- Short bed. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost 10 speed, 3.55 rear end, max tow package with an 1852 pound payload. It's just us and the dog -- no kids. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie26 View Post
    Hello:

We are still in the process of picking out a new unit and have been eying up the new Imagine XLS 23LDE. But then I stumbled on the Reflection 150 Series 22RK, a new smaller fifth wheel that seems to be basically the same floor plan as the 23LDE. And I noted it also is short bed friendly!

Anyhow, I know manufacturers love to use "1/2 ton towable" and "150 series" and similar names, but are they really 1/2 ton towable? Is there anyone on here that's towing a Reflection 150 with their 1/2 ton? We considered buying a 3/4 ton truck, but A: they are about impossible to find in Canada these days, and B: we just preferred the feel of the F150 vs a larger truck and C: The 150 was enough money, never mind moving up! LOL. But I'd also love to have a fifth wheel....

So our truck is a 2021 F150 Supercrew XLT-- Short bed. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost 10 speed, 3.55 rear end, max tow package with an 1852 pound payload. It's just us and the dog -- no kids. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    If your referring to the 226RK, with it’s GVW of 9995 lbs I would expect a pin weight of close to 2000 lbs so not a good idea. The only 1/2 ton truck that might handle it would be the elusive HD payload package that can be ordered from Ford, with the max tow as well. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brochure pin is 1231 lbs.

+150 batt+propane
    +300 passengers
    +150 5th hitch
    =1831
    All speculative of course and not including anything in the front cargo bays and in the bedroom. Maybe another 200 lbs of stuff?
    Thats over 2000 lbs added to the truck.
    As usual the "1/2" ton hype is just that, hype. 3/4 ton would be my choice.
    =

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to agree with all the advice above. A former member of this forum pulled one of the smaller GD fivers thousands of miles with a 1/2-ton... but it was one of the F150 EcoBoosts with the HDPP (heavy-duty payload package) and HDTP (heavy-duty towing package - they're different packages) that @tortise mentioned. Any lesser 1/2-ton won't be up to the job in the payload department.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our 295RL dry with our '13 F150 Lariat SCREW 6.2L short bed w/HD Tow. I also have added Hellwig rear anti sway bar, airbags, increased my 6R80 trans cooling capacity with 10 row Motorcraft Saudi cooler and AFE 13qt larger pan, and went with 10 ply Hankook ATs.

Our setup tows flat, straight, and cool. Doesn't have any issues stopping or pulling using the Turning Point pin box. We have pulled it for the last 3 years from the Smokeys to the Rockies. Tows great with no problems.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Unfortunately, we don't have that elusive HD package on our F150 that would give us that additional payload. My gut told me our truck wouldn't do well with a fifth wheel, so I'm back to perhaps that XLS 23LDE, or maybe an Imagine 25RL. SIGH. It is what it is.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it depends on how far you are traveling. I pull my 260RD with a 2012 GMC 1500, load range E tires and Timbrens. It's ok for short trips, I only go 60 miles away. I wouldn't want to go for a long trip with it, for that I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins I will set up for towing to use in retirement.
    2018 Ram 2500 CTD
    2020 Reflection 260RD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 260RD with a SB F350 7.3 gas with 10 speed auto set up to tow from factory, and while it handles, I wish now I had gone for the Diesel when I hit a hill. I really find the I have tothink ahead in hills so that I don’t downshift too much up hill or get into an over rev situation going downhill. Previous ly had a F350 dually with the original Powerstroke with 5 speed and I never knew I had 9000 its behind me.

we actually wanted the 240 but by the time we found an F-350 they no longer made it.
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    I pull a 260RD with a SB F350 7.3 gas with 10 speed auto set up to tow from factory, and while it handles, I wish now I had gone for the Diesel when I hit a hill. I really find the I have tothink ahead in hills so that I don’t downshift too much up hill or get into an over rev situation going downhill. Previous ly had a F350 dually with the original Powerstroke with 5 speed and I never knew I had 9000 its behind me.

we actually wanted the 240 but by the time we found an F-350 they no longer made it.
    Max HP@5500 rpms
    Max TQ@4000 rpms

It's supposed to rev up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks will keep an eye on it. Hate Gas, Hate 4WD, and hate that I don’t need to use my left foot. But didn’t expect to put enough miles on not to kill the Diesel, no one wants to stock RWD, and I guess the truck makers figure no one wants to think about driving. Personally, stick is a good theft deterrent
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast