User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be surprised (read that as "shocked") if a SRW truck will have the payload capacity to handle your Momentum, particularly if your truck is a diesel. I spent a lot of time looking for a truck and I haven't seen a Ford F-350 SRW short-bed diesel with a payload capacity anywhere near 4000 lbs., which is what you'll need to safely pull your rig. That's not to say people don't do it...............
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a SB and a companion hitch, original install had jaws 3” in front of rear axle and I would lightly kiss the cab with tight turn. Had the hitch supports arms reversed, now hitch is 1 in in front of rear axle and it clears the cab. Was advised by dealer not to use Turning Point as it may may hook-up “fussier"
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up going with this hitch
    https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...DM8550038.html

So fingers crossed. Won’t get it till late December. I will update when we get it and try to tow our rig.
    Our truck has towing capacity of 30,000lbs so I think it should be ok.
    Again fingers crossed.
    Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What motor do you have? From looking at the chart, the maximum gross combined weight is 30,000 for a single rear wheel F350 4x4. I do believe I read somewhere that the Tremor package lowers that rating, but I can't remember where I read that.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Concetta711 View Post
    We ended up going with this hitch
    https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...DM8550038.html

So fingers crossed. Won’t get it till late December. I will update when we get it and try to tow our rig.
    Our truck has towing capacity of 30,000lbs so I think it should be ok.
    Again fingers crossed.
    Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.
    I also think you might not have enough truck for your Momentum.

Looking at the Specifications link you supplied in your original post (on the last page of the link) the maximum 5th Wheel towing for a Ford F350 with Single Rear Wheels is 22,000 Lbs, and that is with a 6.7 Diesel with a GCWR of 30,000 Lbs.

If you have a 7.3 Gas Engine then you drop to 20,200 Lbs for a SWR, but only if you have the 4.3 rear end. Any other combination you drop down to 16,000 Lbs. or less.

You can look at your Window sticker to find out which engine and rear end ratio your truck came with.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 6.7 diesel. Our gcwr is 30,000 and our trailer fully loaded is 19,500. So I think we will be ok. We don’t have any toys in the rig and as long as our tanks are dumped and we drain our fresh water when going to a place with water hookups we should be fine.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Concetta711 View Post
    We have the 6.7 diesel. Our gcwr is 30,000 and our trailer fully loaded is 19,500. So I think we will be ok. We don’t have any toys in the rig and as long as our tanks are dumped and we drain our fresh water when going to a place with water hookups we should be fine.
    There is a major difference between "pulling", which I'm sure that your TV will have no problem doing, and "carrying". Your loaded trailer is going to be putting close to 4000 lbs. of downward weight on the pin in the bed of your truck over your rear axle. Add to that the weight of your hitch, your driver, your passengers and anything else you carry in the truck. That is your "payload" and should not exceed the yellow sticker on the drivers door. The rear axle, breaks and suspension of a SRW F-350 just aren't designed to carry that kind of weight.

Attaced is the sticker for my truck which is equiped very similar to yours. My "payload" number is 3390 lbs. If I tried to pull your trailer with my truck, it would be close to 1000 lbs. overweight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 Ford F-350 Yellow Door Sticker.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	38037
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to agree with others that your trailer’s pin weight will probably put you over the GVWR rating of your truck……especially without something in the garage. A toy hauler typically has a high pin weight so that when something heavy is put in the garage the pin weight does’t get too light.

Besides stressing the suspension, a concern would be wheels and tires being overloaded.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this has been my concern from the beginning. It’s a lot to put together. My husband wants to get air bags to help with the weight. So that should help a lot. Thanks again everyone for all the help!!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air bags do not "help with the weight". They will level the truck if the sag gets too bad, but they do nothing to add carrying capacity. All that weight ends up on the axles, nothing will avoid that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast