Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We heard from our insurance friday afternoon. the appraiser in west virginia says it is repairable.
    Our adjuster then said for us to find a local shop to do the repair and make arrangements for towing it. the nearest grand design dealer is about 20 miles away, called them and they don't do axles. the local rv dealership service manager is supposed to let us know if they can repair it. If
    Anyone happens to know of a repair company near Barboursville West Virginia we would appreciate a recommendation.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandaddy View Post
    the frame is what concerns us. We are hoping they total it.
    We are still waiting for insurance to make a decision, don't know why it takes so long.
    First off sorry for your troubles. I have dropped my right side into shoulders because of curvy roads and bad drivers, fortunately for me no damage.

Sometimes it's hard for the insurance company to find an adjuster that knows anything about RV's. When I busted my big picture window while mowing the lawn and filed an insurance claim the adjuster was slow to respond, never came to look at it, but did contact a nearby GD dealership to get information. Unfortunately the dealer gave him the incorrect information so the estimate he gave me was way low. It took about 4 iterations before they got close to the actual cost of the repair.

If I was in your place I would get someone to do a detailed estimate of repairs. That way you have real information to counter the insurance companies estimate should they be lax in their duties.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @grandaddy

Wow that sucks that this happened to you... but glad you are okay!

In 2017 I was in SC and sheared an axle and it was recommended I use Walker Welding in GA. This guy came to the camping world where my RV was towed to with a rolling shop and replaced both axles right there. Two new axles, 1 hub, brake assembly, rim, & tire, 1 new stabilizer jack, all installed for around $930. Not sure if he's in business still or if he would travel that far but it might be worth a shot... even if you have to get it flatbeded down to him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211206-113435_Photos.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	38028

Name:	Screenshot_20211206-113441_Photos.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	38029
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    First off sorry for your troubles. I have dropped my right side into shoulders because of curvy roads and bad drivers, fortunately for me no damage.

Sometimes it's hard for the insurance company to find an adjuster that knows anything about RV's. When I busted my big picture window while mowing the lawn and filed an insurance claim the adjuster was slow to respond, never came to look at it, but did contact a nearby GD dealership to get information. Unfortunately the dealer gave him the incorrect information so the estimate he gave me was way low. It took about 4 iterations before they got close to the actual cost of the repair.

If I was in your place I would get someone to do a detailed estimate of repairs. That way you have real information to counter the insurance companies estimate should they be lax in their duties.
    thanks; this is what I want to do. we just got a copy of the adjuster's report. He clearly states it is a preliminary estimate and that the trailer needs to be elevated for a detailed inspection.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @grandaddy

Wow that sucks that this happened to you... but glad you are okay!

In 2017 I was in SC and sheared an axle and it was recommended I use Walker Welding in GA. This guy came to the camping world where my RV was towed to with a rolling shop and replaced both axles right there. Two new axles, 1 hub, brake assembly, rim, & tire, 1 new stabilizer jack, all installed for around $930. Not sure if he's in business still or if he would travel that far but it might be worth a shot... even if you have to get it flatbeded down to him.

Name:	Screenshot_20211206-113435_Photos.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	38028

Name:	Screenshot_20211206-113441_Photos.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	38029
    thanks for the info,if we can't find some closer iI'll contact him.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We heard from our insurance friday afternoon. the appraiser in west virginia says it is repairable.
    Our adjuster then said for us to find a local shop to do the repair and make arrangements for towing it. the nearest grand design dealer is about 20 miles away, called them and they don't do axles. the local rv dealership service manager is supposed to let us know if they can repair it. If
    Anyone happens to know of a repair company near Barboursville West Virginia we would appreciate a recommendation.
    When I needed to get my tandem axle boat trailer repaired I couldn't find anything in my area by searching for "trailer frame alignment", "trailer repair", etc., so I called an automotive body shop and asked about it - they were able to refer me to a shop that specifically did trailer alignment and repair about an hour away. It was a little shop with no web presence. You might try a local auto body shop and see if they can direct you if need be.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

The insurance company has decided to total the camper. So the hunt starts for a replacement.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

The insurance company has decided to total the camper. So the hunt starts for a replacement.
    Probably the best outcome in the long run, but such a disappointment that you have to deal with it all. Best wishes for getting back on the road in the future!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Headed to beechfork state park in WV. Very narrow, curvy road. oncoming vehicle close to centerline I moved over too far, no shoulder on road, camper went into ditch, there was a set of concrete steps with a pad at the bottom of steps, broke both axles off on that side
    towing company had to use 2 wreckers to raise camper off ground so they could tow it. This happened fri. afternoon before thanksgiving. waiting on insurance to determine if camper is repairable.
    To make the situation more complicated we live in FL. Had to rent a uhaul to get all the stuff in trailer home, we bought trailer in oct. used it 6 nights. Imagine 2600 RB was by far our most comfortable camper.
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I can see where that would happen. We visited Beech Fork in September. We took Long Branch Rd to get to the park. I read about the narrow road, low hanging tree branches and hairpin turns. All true. Fortunately, traffic was light. I took my time and used all of the road when there was no oncoming traffic. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We left early on Sunday morning so we beat the rush. Beautiful park and lake. Great hiking. We've already made reservations for two trips 2022.
    Hope everything turns out well for you and your rig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12