User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try and fabricate a support attached to the cross arm and extend out under the inner edge of each wheel loop. Possibly a 1½" tube steel attached to the cross bar using a unistrut "U" bracket.

Genuine Unistrut Brand P1047-EG 5 Hole"U" Shaped Connector Bracket for All 1-5/8" Strut Channel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IASG7BA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Yakima Long Haul foldable bike rack on my 303 RLS Reflection. It connects to the receiver with a bolt and is rock solid when installed. The receiver is welded to the frame - this is not some thin steel tube mounted bumper setup. I've used it to transport my bikes on various long haul trips and they arrive unscathed. It carries 4 bikes - I put the heaviest bike on first.

Do a google search on this rack - you will find videos of one being used behind a class C. https://yakima.com/products/longhaul...720.1639569884
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    I use a Yakima Long Haul foldable bike rack on my 303 RLS Reflection. It connects to the receiver with a bolt and is rock solid when installed. The receiver is welded to the frame - this is not some thin steel tube mounted bumper setup. I've used it to transport my bikes on various long haul trips and they arrive unscathed. It carries 4 bikes - I put the heaviest bike on first.

Do a google search on this rack - you will find videos of one being used behind a class C. https://yakima.com/products/longhaul...720.1639569884
    A class C is nothing compared to the forces generated by being on the back of a trailer. The geometry of the axles allows for much more extreme movements on a trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A class C is nothing compared to the forces generated by being on the back of a trailer. The geometry of the axles allows for much more extreme movements on a trailer.
    Whatever - I didn't do a physics study - I just answered the OPs question. I trust the rack I quoted with my expensive bikes. As I stated, the rack is solid, the bikes arrive unscathed. I'm coming at this from experience, not conjecture. But I guess my rack - on the back of my fifth wheel, stands up to those forces you mention just fine.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    Whatever - I didn't do a physics study - I just answered the OPs question. I trust the rack I quoted with my expensive bikes. As I stated, the rack is solid, the bikes arrive unscathed. I'm coming at this from experience, not conjecture. But I guess my rack - on the back of my fifth wheel, stands up to those forces you mention just fine.

That does look like a fairly stout rack. The weakest points are usually the parts where they fold. That's why I like this Swagman 5 bike rack... I decided to replace the pivot pins with 1/2 hardened bolts and nylon locking nuts. In conjunction with an Anti Rattle clamp it doesn't budge at all. I could have also welded it but in all the years I've had it there's never been a reason to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211114_154339.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	38145
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 1up (yes, that's a one up) and its pricey but solid. A beautiful piece of hardware. Solid, carries two bikes on the back of our 5th wheel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345