User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke a Thule RV-rated Bike Rack - Need another option!

On a cross-Canada trip this past summer, we covered over 24,000 kms in 5 months. We had brought 4 bikes with us, all loaded onto a Thule Range 4-bike hitch 2" mounted rack that is rated for RV use on the back of our Reflection 367BHS. About 2/3 of the way through the trip, that rack collapsed due to the mechanism failing that allows it to fold when not in use. Thule is replacing it for us under warranty, but I am hesitant to continue using this model given this experience. Thankfully the back of our rig was not damaged when it failed.

I have looked through most of the posts I can find here on the forum, but can't really see anything that really fits what we're looking for. Just wondering if any of you have any gems to suggest that I may have overlooked - they would need to hold at least 3 bikes that weigh 40lbs each and of course be RV-rated.

Thank you!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_bc_ View Post
    On a cross-Canada trip this past summer, we covered over 24,000 kms in 5 months. We had brought 4 bikes with us, all loaded onto a Thule Range 4-bike hitch 2" mounted rack that is rated for RV use on the back of our Reflection 367BHS. About 2/3 of the way through the trip, that rack collapsed due to the mechanism failing that allows it to fold when not in use. Thule is replacing it for us under warranty, but I am hesitant to continue using this model given this experience. Thankfully the back of our rig was not damaged when it failed.

I have looked through most of the posts I can find here on the forum, but can't really see anything that really fits what we're looking for. Just wondering if any of you have any gems to suggest that I may have overlooked - they would need to hold at least 3 bikes that weigh 40lbs each and of course be RV-rated.

Thank you!
    I have read of countless problems when transporting bikes on the rear of a towable RV.
    That location takes a lot of stress. The best solutions do not use the rear of the RV.
    If your truck is a crewcab, perhaps a roof mounted rack would work.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a cheap rack from walmart that used an adapter to fit a 2" rec. The adapter got tossed in the trash and I welded a tub on to it so it fits in the 2" adapter. Little black spray paint and wolla. The fold down option is gone, but I've not folded it down once the entire time it was on our old trailer. When we got this new Reflection, I just modified it and welded it. Not going to break on the back of the RV.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think any 4 bike rack, any folding rack, or any hanging style rack is going to work on the back of an RV.

4 bikes is a lot of weight and it gets extended out from the hitch. Any folding joint is a weak point. The hanging style has significantly more length applying torque to the rack when it bounces.

I’d consider moving at least two bikes to a roof or front hitch rack on the truck, and maybe two on a platform style rack on the rear.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 12-03-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a cheap $130 two bike rack on the back of a TT. Been there for 2.5 years. What I did was install a removable brace thats pinned to the bumper and the upright bracket on the bike rack. That removes all the up and down bouncing.
    I then added a couple eye bolts to the ends of the bumper and use some lightweight ratchet straps hooked to the inside bike to stop the side to side movement. I have a rear camera on the TT and can see the bikes while traveling.
    Zero movement. So it's not really the rack or that it's hanging off an RV thats the issue it's how everything is connected to the RV. Lots of unnecessary movement can be mitigated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check into Hollowood bike racks rated for 5th wheels. But avoid anything foldable. We've got one for our 2 ebikes and they did OK on one of their racks, but it was just 2 ebikes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three bikes at 40# each a rack at least 50#, that's a lot of weight to be bouncing back there.
    I've paired down our bikes to just three. Two heavier aluminum mountain bikes ride on a rack on the front of the truck in a 2 inch receiver. I use bungies to stop all movement. The carbon fiber bike rides on the bed in the 5th.
    I use to carry two bikes on the roof of the truck with a Yakima rack. Never had a problem with it in 5 years, just got too old to want to heft them up there.
    Thought about a rack on the 5th, but bouncing down some crappy road, I would probably lose the rack, the bikes, hit the car behind me with both, & screw up my trailer. I have a camera back there, but don't stare at it, & it would be too late anyway.
    With the bikes off the front bumper, I would hopefully see it if something started to go sideways.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swagman makes RV rated racks. Have the XP4 myself. Use it for a very heavy beach cruiser + 2 mountain bikes. Better than the Yakima I had before which bent.
    2022 F450 Lariat
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend showed up with a Swagman rack on the back of his 5er a year or two ago. I couldn't believe how rock solid it was. Truth be told I'm pretty much a diehard Thule fan but this Swagman was next level. I liked it so much I sold the Thule racks for the roof of our car, installed a hitch on it and bought a Swagman for it. It is just great. The idea is we can use it on the back of our 5er too, if we needed to. But we're lucky in that we can get four bikes in the rear bay of our 380, or three bikes and two kayaks stacked. But it's good to have options.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an older Swagman bike rack similar to this one I linked below. The only difference is mine was designed for use only in a 2" receiver so there's no 1¼" tubing with 2" adapters. I removed the pin, and replaced it and the other bolts with heavier hardened bolts and nylon locking nuts. Thought about welding it but it was never necessary. I've used it on the rear of my previous TT for 13 years and now on the 5th wheel for 3 years. No problems what so ever. I do also use an anti rattle clamp at the receiver to lock the hitch in tight. The best part about this rack is the single bar with the bike clamps you can rotate. Once you have it setup for your bikes it's fantastic, and no additional cross bars are needed on my wife's bike.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swagman-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast