User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole situation, IMHO, is unacceptable. Parts shortage is one thing, but mfg. are obviously getting parts or they wouldn't be building units. Shortage...of course.

Bringing it into a dealer to just have it sit is totally beyond the pale. I would think that is the whole reason for an "appointment"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gearguywb View Post
    This whole situation, IMHO, is unacceptable. Parts shortage is one thing, but mfg. are obviously getting parts or they wouldn't be building units. Shortage...of course.

Bringing it into a dealer to just have it sit is totally beyond the pale. I would think that is the whole reason for an "appointment"
    I fully agree, a appointment means you will look at it that day or the next. When I had to wait 2 weeks for my appointment then it sat in their lot for 3 more weeks without it being addressed I thought when they do look at it they’ll need to order parts. Then the waiting game starts all over again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you make an appointment the dealer can't guaranty when they'll have time to look at your RV. They have other owners RV's ahead of your that need evaluated then parts ordered then repaired. If a dealer needs more time to evaluate whats wrong with an RV then that pushes the time for your RV out further. Now times that by X amount of RV's ahead of you. Then when the parts finally come in they need to fix those RV's, ythat pushes out your RV even further. Couple that with an increasing amount or RV's sold each year and dealers that only have so much room and so many techs and you have backup problems.

Think about this, 5 RV's with water leaks of various types. How can a dealer determine how long it will take to evaluate and fix each different type of leak?

Everyone ahead of you gets priority and with no definitive timelines it's impossible to have a precise repair schedule.

The MFG also needs to be called and the dealer needs authorization. That takes days to happen.

As too the shortages it's not just no parts, it's also not enough parts from demand. Some parts suppliers are making the normal or even higher than normal amount of parts but due to record demand they simply can't keep up.

Look at it this way. An RV mfg needs 100 mattresses and the mattress company has the ability to make 110 mattresses a day. Now RV demand is up and 140 mattresses are needed. So there's a shortage of 30 mattresses a day.

Or a parts supplier is having trouble getting parts because they can't find enough help and are behind in production.

And finally there's the incompetence part. The dealer simply dropped the ball.
    Last edited by goducks14; 12-05-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My real issue with this is that many (all, frankly) of the problems I've had that would be warranty work take about 10 mins to figure out what's wrong. So make an appt, let me bring the RV in, have someone ready to walk through and look at the issues and order the parts. Then call me (months later) when they are in and I'll drop the RV off for a few days/week for you to install them. There's simply no reason for the RV to sit there for weeks waiting to be looked at and then weeks/months more waiting for parts (for anything but a repair that makes the RV unusable, of course).

My RV, pre-COVID, was at the dealer for about 2 months. Month 1 was waiting to get looked at. Month 2 waiting for parts. Should have been two trips to the dealer and MAYBE an overnight there (once the parts were in to install).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overtaxed View Post
    my real issue with this is that many (all, frankly) of the problems i've had that would be warranty work take about 10 mins to figure out what's wrong. So make an appt, let me bring the rv in, have someone ready to walk through and look at the issues and order the parts. Then call me (months later) when they are in and i'll drop the rv off for a few days/week for you to install them. There's simply no reason for the rv to sit there for weeks waiting to be looked at and then weeks/months more waiting for parts (for anything but a repair that makes the rv unusable, of course).

My rv, pre-covid, was at the dealer for about 2 months. Month 1 was waiting to get looked at. Month 2 waiting for parts. Should have been two trips to the dealer and maybe an overnight there (once the parts were in to install).
    exactly!!!!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    My real issue with this is that many (all, frankly) of the problems I've had that would be warranty work take about 10 mins to figure out what's wrong. So make an appt, let me bring the RV in, have someone ready to walk through and look at the issues and order the parts. Then call me (months later) when they are in and I'll drop the RV off for a few days/week for you to install them. There's simply no reason for the RV to sit there for weeks waiting to be looked at and then weeks/months more waiting for parts (for anything but a repair that makes the RV unusable, of course).

My RV, pre-COVID, was at the dealer for about 2 months. Month 1 was waiting to get looked at. Month 2 waiting for parts. Should have been two trips to the dealer and MAYBE an overnight there (once the parts were in to install).
    I wish everyone thought like this....

Most people want to bring it in and let it see for free storage while waiting on part's. Doesn't seem like many want to haul it home again and then bring it back when parts are here.

Hence, we have almost 150 units just sitting on our lot for Service/Body work.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afyer the sale, dealers are pretty much useless. Not to mention overpriced.
    I had a toilet water valve fail on a trip to a local park.The dealer charged me $60 for a Dometic water valve. On my next trip to that dealer, I told them I found the same valve online for $20. Their response was "well, there's the middle man". That same dealer was going to charge me $150 to remove a spinning lug nut. The cap was spinning on the nut. I was able to slip a 6pt. socket over it and spin it off.
    I have a local repair tech that I use for everything who does great on-site-work and won't rip me off. Anything beyond warranty work, I'm done with dealers.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among the relatively minor issues that I've had, it took one year to get the decorative fridge door panel replaced that was noted during my PDI. Someone had opened the fridge door while the glass door for the entertainment center was down and put a hole in it. Overall, we are very happy with our rig, there are no major issues. I know there are parts supply problems, but to compound the problem let me just say that I am not impressed with my dealer's service department. In the year that I've had it I have been assigned four different service advisors.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The warranty/service issue is really getting interesting. Folks willing to pay inflated prices for trailers with little quality control manufacturing.

We have read of owners on this forum that have issues on brand new trailers that prevent them from camping. I wonder how many dealers are explaining to buyers that if they have an issue with their new trailer it could set at the dealership for several months waiting for service, even if they have only used it once.

The new concept in the RV industry seems to be dealers denying warranty work unless you purchase the trailer from them. So, the customer, in order to enjoy the convenience of this service (or lack of), is locked into the price of that local dealer. Were I to be buying a new trailer today, I think I would forget the one year warranty and assume I would just pay for any service needed from day one. That way I could travel to a dealer that offered the best price and use that savings for needed repairs from a dealer or mobile tech that could do the work within a reasonable time period. Of course that doesn't address the problems of a parts shortage.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealers denying service from buyers who bought elsewhere in not new. It's been going on for years. It's one of the slimy sales tactics that force gullible buyers into thinking that if they have problems with their trailer that it can only be fixed where they bought it. Thing is most all RV builders will allow a mobile tech to come out and fix your RV.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast