Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roof Cleaning

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Cleaning

I live in an area where summers produce very high humidity. My trailer is also parked close to a large tree. I usually clean my roof a couple of times a year and find that after summer is over, my roof has accumulated mold, as well as residue from the tree. The only real way I have found to get a clean roof is to use a detergent with a little bleach, scrubbed with a soft bristle brush.

I cringe everytime I use the bleach, and try to do so sparingly. I also rinse off the sides of the trailer immediately.

My questions is: just how detrimental is bleach to the current rubber roofs? Has anyone found a way to remove mold using a different solution?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't list your trailer year and model, it would help. There are a couple different roof types used and each has their recommended cleaning method and cleaners. Myself I use a a hose a couple times through the year. and this spring a bucket of Mr Clean in water and a medium bristle trailer scrub brush. I would stay away from bleach. Mr Clean or Spic and Span floor cleaners seem to work for me.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 Reflection 150 series 273MK. I don't recall any recommendations in the owner's manual. Spic N' Span is the detergent I use but it doesn't do much for the mold.

I probably want my roof to look a lot cleaner than it needs to be!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    2020 Reflection 150 series 273MK. I don't recall any recommendations in the owner's manual. Spic N' Span is the detergent I use but it doesn't do much for the mold.

I don't worry about staining much. Just scrub the crud off. Also, by this fall - if the planets align - I will have a car port for my rig.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

Check out these links.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=it2ZIKs821k

https://www.alphallc.us/product-care/

In the FAQ one of them talks about mold and says that Alpha Systems has a product to clean it off. You might want to talk to Alpha Systems and see what they say.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just get up there and scrub it with a 24" stiff nylon bristle push broom and a bottle of unscented Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then hose it off well.

Scented substances can draw birds which like to peck at anything rubber. Don't need any crows or vultures up on the roof--and they're around.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any good household cleaner, a stiff brush and in your case with mold adding bleach should do the job and no adding some bleach will not hurt anything, just make sure to thoroughly rinse not only the roof but the sides, cap and back of the trailer. I typically use a solution of Simple Green and in the and when needed about a 1/4 cup of bleach.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Any good household cleaner, a stiff brush and in your case with mold adding bleach should do the job and no adding some bleach will not hurt anything, just make sure to thoroughly rinse not only the roof but the sides, cap and back of the trailer. I typically use a solution of Simple Green and in the and when needed about a 1/4 cup of bleach.
    Vinegar is a better way to take care of mold. Bleach just kills the surface growth, vinegar will kill the roots of it.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ficolivor View Post
    That's a good way, but why don't you try covering your trailer with a thick waterproof cloth when it rains?
    Have you tried going on an RV roof to spread a thick waterproof cloth? I stopped putting a cover on several years ago because it's just too much by myself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Vinegar is a better way to take care of mold. Bleach just kills the surface growth, vinegar will kill the roots of it.
    I see you resurrected an old thread I started. I called Alpha systems and they said to put nothing but a mild detergent on the roof. I'd certainly be willing to go with vinegar if I know it wouldn't be detrimental to the roof. I think @geotex1 is in the business so maybe he will pass along advice.
    2020 Reflection 273MK