User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV parts and 3d printing

Hi all, I just wanted to share this and see how much interest there was...

My wife, kids, and I fulltime in our Momentum, so there are things that need repairing and replacing frequently. A lot of those parts seem to be little plastic doodads of one flavor or another. Over the past few months, I've discovered that it's easier to fix small things on my own, especially since we have a 3d printer in the rig as part of a business venture with a friend. I end up doing a lot of CAD design for our products, so making replacements for miscellaneous broken plastic parts isn't particularly complicated. This has saved a ton of time and hassle for us.

Anyways, to the point... I have saved and shared all of the designs I've made on a free file sharing website called thingiverse, (I'll link it below.) so if anyone wants to use them to print parts, please feel free. I've also made several organization type designs as well that have come in handy.

What I was wondering was if anyone was interested in or needed specific parts designed or printed? I'm just trying to see if there is an interest for that kind of thing, and see if I could help folks out some if there was. It would be limited to plastic parts (of course), and it is difficult to make anything that won't fit in a 23cm cube.

If anyone is interested, reply or send me a PM. I'd also love to know if anyone else in the community has 3d printers?

Here is the link to the thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/lightsnsiren79/designs

Here is a link to the website for the company my friend and I run, for anyone who is curious: [Commercial link deleted]

Cheers

Josh
    Last edited by Second Chance; 12-03-2021 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Delete commercial link
    Josh Ward
    2022 Momentum 395 MS-R, 8k axles
    2020 Ram 3500 4 door, DRW, 4wd, diesel, 4:10, Airlift bags, Reese 27k hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    Hi all, I just wanted to share this and see how much interest there was...

My wife, kids, and I fulltime in our Momentum, so there are things that need repairing and replacing frequently. A lot of those parts seem to be little plastic doodads of one flavor or another. Over the past few months, I've discovered that it's easier to fix small things on my own, especially since we have a 3d printer in the rig as part of a business venture with a friend. I end up doing a lot of CAD design for our products, so making replacements for miscellaneous broken plastic parts isn't particularly complicated. This has saved a ton of time and hassle for us.

Anyways, to the point... I have saved and shared all of the designs I've made on a free file sharing website called thingiverse, (I'll link it below.) so if anyone wants to use them to print parts, please feel free. I've also made several organization type designs as well that have come in handy.

What I was wondering was if anyone was interested in or needed specific parts designed or printed? I'm just trying to see if there is an interest for that kind of thing, and see if I could help folks out some if there was. It would be limited to plastic parts (of course), and it is difficult to make anything that won't fit in a 23cm cube.

If anyone is interested, reply or send me a PM. I'd also love to know if anyone else in the community has 3d printers?

Here is the link to the thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/lightsnsiren79/designs

Here is a link to the website for the company my friend and I run, for anyone who is curious: [Commercial link deleted]

Cheers

Josh
    Josh, you just volunteered for another full time job! I would imagine the momentum (no puns intended) you are going to start here.

I've been considering getting into 3D printing, but with all of my other hobbies, plus our plan to go full-time next August, kinda put that on hold.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Second Chance; 12-05-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Commercial link deleted
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice going Josh and thank you. I have seen a thread or two involving people looking for window parts, latches and locks. You might be able to help. Thanks again.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Nice going Josh and thank you. I have seen a thread or two involving people looking for window parts, latches and locks. You might be able to help. Thanks again.
    Thanks! I actually had a couple of latches fail on our glass garage doors, so I made a model for those. It’s on the thingiverse site I shared. I also made copies of the corner pieces that hold aluminum frame together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Ward

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Josh, you just volunteered for another full time job! I would imagine the momentum (no puns intended) you are going to start here.

I've been considering getting into 3D printing, but with all of my other hobbies, plus our plan to go full-time next August, kinda put that on hold.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Hah, that’s exactly what I wondered- is there that much of a demand for those kind of parts? As for 3d printing, it’s almost as expensive and time consuming as fly fishing or wood turning [emoji13] But, it’s a lot of fun and makes you learn a lot of new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Ward

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How UV stable are the plastics used in 3D printing these days? That would be a concern for window clips, etc.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our son use his 3D printer to create the plastic piece at the lower corner of the nose of our fifth wheel. He did use the UV stable thread. It's only been on about a month, but looks good.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    How UV stable are the plastics used in 3D printing these days? That would be a concern for window clips, etc.
    PETG, ABS, and a few other types of filament have rather robust UV resistance. We make products that attach to rotomolded coolers, which sit out on fishing boats in the sun constantly. My buddy and I have had some of our stuff sitting out in the weather on the coast for a few years with no issues.
    Josh Ward

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    PETG, ABS, and a few other types of filament have rather robust UV resistance. We make products that attach to rotomolded coolers, which sit out on fishing boats in the sun constantly. My buddy and I have had some of our stuff sitting out in the weather on the coast for a few years with no issues.
    I retired earlier this year from the plastics industry. I developed many UV stable resin systems mainly for interior or exterior automotive applications. PETG and ABS can be stabilized well for outdoor use. Other resins not so much.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use PETG almost exclusively. ABS is more difficult to work with using an FDM printer, and it tends to have some nasty off-gassing at melting temps. We do have some issues with moisture affecting PETG filament quality, but nothing insurmountable…

I would love to experiment with some of the carbon fiber blends or (name?) vinyl alcohol materials. It is just not cost effective for us currently.
    Josh Ward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast