User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Water Pressure Regulator Hookup Location Question

Greetings All:

Just curious to know if there is a problem with adopting a practice of connecting the water pressure regulator at the Nautilus bay, as opposed to attaching it at the spigot from whatever external source used for city water hookup?

Assuming the regulator is attached correctly, in terms of water flow direction into the rig, does it really matter which end of the hose you put the regulator on? Might it reduce or increase the pressure significantly if hooked up at the rig? I’m too chicken to test it without more insight.

FYI, I currently use an “el cheapo” brass regulator, and I attach it at the external water source spigot, but I recently began to wonder if it would work equally well if attached to my 90 degree elbow in the wet bay?
    On a side note: For what it’s worth… we have no water pressure “problems,” but I will say that we get “better” pressure when using the fresh water tank and the water pump.

Rationale: I’ve inadvertently left one or two regulators attached to an external spigot at a camp site, while distracted by nice but “chatty” camp neighbors during tear-down, so my thought was… if I always leave it attached at the elbow in the bay, I could mitigate that little blunder in the future. However, I don’t want to risk damaging my plumbing system over such a simple and cheap (but necessary) device.

Thoughts? Concerns? Horror stories?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Cheesehead Travelers 🧀 2021 Solitude 390RK, 2021 RAM 3500 6.7 HO/Turbo Diesel
    Patty: Head Cheese
    Bobby: Cheese Whiz (USMC Veteran)
    Brooke (Yorkie): Cheez-it

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Mesa View Post
    Greetings All:

Just curious to know if there is a problem with adopting a practice of connecting the water pressure regulator at the Nautilus bay, as opposed to attaching it at the spigot from whatever external source used for city water hookup?

Assuming the regulator is attached correctly, in terms of water flow direction into the rig, does it really matter which end of the hose you put the regulator on? Might it reduce or increase the pressure significantly if hooked up at the rig? I’m too chicken to test it without more insight.

FYI, I currently use an “el cheapo” brass regulator, and I attach it at the external water source spigot, but I recently began to wonder if it would work equally well if attached to my 90 degree elbow in the wet bay?
    On a side note: For what it’s worth… we have no water pressure “problems,” but I will say that we get “better” pressure when using the fresh water tank and the water pump.

Rationale: I’ve inadvertently left one or two regulators attached to an external spigot at a camp site, while distracted by nice but “chatty” camp neighbors during tear-down, so my thought was… if I always leave it attached at the elbow in the bay, I could mitigate that little blunder in the future. However, I don’t want to risk damaging my plumbing system over such a simple and cheap (but necessary) device.

Thoughts? Concerns? Horror stories?

Thanks for any feedback!
    My adjustable regulator is connected permanently inside the bay, just before the water filters.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 38004
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 12-04-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I winter at ski resorts, it would be difficult for me to keep my pressure regulator from freezing, therefor it is mounted inside at the water connection. The only issue I have had with this is the poor quality crimped hose connections would leak. All of my hoses have replacement ends with stainless steel hose clamps on them. It is also possible to burst a water hose in places with very high water pressure (100psi) and hot sun, but that is rare.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was using the "el cheapo" regulators as you put it, I always put them on the spigot, left a few there, found a couple-I now have three.
    When I went to the adjustable regulators, I put it in the wet bay. As D2Reid said the hose could burst, but I'll take my chances.
    I turn off the water at the spigot when I leave the trailer.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    My adjustable regulator is connected permanently inside the bay, just before the water filters.

Attachment 38004
    Can you show us a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I winter at ski resorts, it would be difficult for me to keep my pressure regulator from freezing, therefor it is mounted inside at the water connection. The only issue I have had with this is the poor quality crimped hose connections would leak. All of my hoses have replacement ends with stainless steel hose clamps on them. It is also possible to burst a water hose in places with very high water pressure (100psi) and hot sun, but that is rare.
    It could burst but not likely, you don’t put a water pressure regulator on your house when you use a water hose. So I agree with you, I put my regulator in the bay… I needs to be or it will freeze.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countrysiderving View Post
    Can you show us a picture?

Apparently the attachment is no longer in my post? I've attached it here, again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211204_113322.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	38074

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countrysiderving View Post
    It could burst but not likely, you don’t put a water pressure regulator on your house when you use a water hose.
    I agree not likely, but possible. In my old sticks and bricks in Florida I would not leave the garden hose on while laying in the sun. 55 psi at the house vs 100 psi in some RV parks.

Our RV water hoses are on all the time, and typically sitting in the sun. They tend to split and leak before they "burst", so I exaggerated some. Thank you for keeping things in perspective.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Apparently the attachment is no longer in my post? I've attached it here, again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211204_113322.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	38074

Caution, I’ve had those spring hose things separate from the fittings. Makes a mess when they do.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    Caution, I’ve had those spring hose things separate from the fittings. Makes a mess when they do.
    Yeah, I'm looking to change them out to Pex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast