User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Possibly buying out of state

    Hello, 1st post of what I'm sure will be many. We are looking at upgrading form our old 05' KZ 2405 TT to a 2021 GD 28G toy hauler. To be honest we haven't made the move in the past because we hear many stories of quality issues with the newer trailers and our old girl has been reliable and rock solid. Not to mention it's set up with every mod you could want in a TT but, it is time to upgrade to a toy hauler. We are going to take a leap of faith and buy new(-ish). Now the fun begins... We have come to the conclusion that we will not find what we are looking for without buying out of state. By "out of state" I mean across the country. With that being the reality it will be too far to drive. We are looking for advise from others who have done this. Specifically, what steps have you taken to safeguard yourselves from potential issues.
    Did you fly in to see the trailer in person? or just rely on pictures?
    Before buying did you rely on facetime walk through of the trailer or a video?
    Who did you go through to have the Trailer shipped to you?
    Once you purchased the trailer, how did you handle the "walk through" seeing if everything is in working order prior to delivery?

    Thank you for any advise you can offer.

  2. #2
    Site Team D2Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Somewhere, USA
    Posts
    2,591
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are an experienced RV'er and a capable mechanic, having done many mods to the old trailer. I would never take posession of a new-ish RV without personally inspecting it, but that's me. I would make the drive...

    Google RV inspectors, you will get several options to pay a trained inspector to survey your purchase, make it part of the sales contract. It's not a guarantee that things won't be wrong, but I believe it's the next best thing to having eyes on it. Ditto with RV transportation, there are several companies that transport rV's.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

  3. #3
    Paid my dues 😁 FT4NOW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    3,265
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. If you're talking about buying a used RV across the country, or even local, I would hire a private RV inspector wherever the RV is located and see what you're dealing with. After you get the report, you can then figure out delivery. If a seller wont allow the inspection, it's not the RV you want to buy anyway.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    2018 F350 CC/LB/Firestone bags/Reese Goose Box

    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH
    SOLD - 2016 F350 CC/LB/DRW/Curt Q24/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000

  4. #4
    Rolling Along huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notTobyG View Post
    Hello, 1st post of what I'm sure will be many. We are looking at upgrading form our old 05' KZ 2405 TT to a 2021 GD 28G toy hauler. To be honest we haven't made the move in the past because we hear many stories of quality issues with the newer trailers and our old girl has been reliable and rock solid. Not to mention it's set up with every mod you could want in a TT but, it is time to upgrade to a toy hauler. We are going to take a leap of faith and buy new(-ish). Now the fun begins... We have come to the conclusion that we will not find what we are looking for without buying out of state. By "out of state" I mean across the country. With that being the reality it will be too far to drive. We are looking for advise from others who have done this. Specifically, what steps have you taken to safeguard yourselves from potential issues.
    Did you fly in to see the trailer in person? or just rely on pictures?
    Before buying did you rely on facetime walk through of the trailer or a video?
    Who did you go through to have the Trailer shipped to you?
    Once you purchased the trailer, how did you handle the "walk through" seeing if everything is in working order prior to delivery?

    Thank you for any advise you can offer.
    I have done this. In 2009 I bought a 2010 Palomino Sabre in Ohio. I am in Arizona.

    I would only do this on a new unit. Used just has too many variables. Mainly condition. Pictures will be taken showing one in the best possible manner, and any defects will be glossed over.... then you drive halfway across the country and see somrthing that was not what you bargained for. That happened to a buddy of mine.. He ended up buying it anyway, but was really disappointed in it.
    With new, you know what the condition should be....But even then be prepared to drive away without it if need be.

    My transaction was flawless with the dealership treating us like kings. The best I have been treated on any deal. They of course knew how far we came, and let us know that they appreciated it. All American Coach in Sylvania Ohio. Back then it was a family run buisiness for 75 years. Good people. I hope that hasn't changed.

    On the paperwork side of things, my credit union handled it all. From the plates/taxes to the dealers payment, it went without a hitch. I highly recommend enlisting such help if it is available to you.

    The walk thru was done it their shop. They had it all setup with all sytems operational. I found one item, a strut that had come loose under the bed. It was fixed immeadiatly.

    The power jack I had requested arrived at the dealer with a broken light switch. They were up front about not being able to get the prt in time. It was ageed that they could mail it to me, as it was a simple fix. Then when hitching up, the jack broke. stuck in the raised position. I asked about swapping it out for an Atwood, as I had good luck with them previously. They quickly agreed. Done deal.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1380 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  5. #5
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV inspector? I didn't know that was even a thing. LOL Great advice thanks

  6. #6
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Sounds like you are an experienced RV'er and a capable mechanic, having done many mods to the old trailer. I would never take posession of a new-ish RV without personally inspecting it, but that's me. I would make the drive...

    Google RV inspectors, you will get several options to pay a trained inspector to survey your purchase, make it part of the sales contract. It's not a guarantee that things won't be wrong, but I believe it's the next best thing to having eyes on it. Ditto with RV transportation, there are several companies that transport rV's.

    Making the drive would be ideal but, work and family life make a 6k mile round trip adventure not a reality currently. Definitely going to look into an RV inspector. thanks

  7. #7
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    769
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have done this. In 2009 I bought a 2010 Palomino Sabre in Ohio. I am in Arizona.

    I would only do this on a new unit. Used just has too many variables. Mainly condition. Pictures will be taken showing one in the best possible manner, and any defects will be glossed over.... then you drive halfway across the country and see somrthing that was not what you bargained for. That happened to a buddy of mine.. He ended up buying it anyway, but was really disappointed in it.
    With new, you know what the condition should be....But even then be prepared to drive away without it if need be.

    My transaction was flawless with the dealership treating us like kings. The best I have been treated on any deal. They of course knew how far we came, and let us know that they appreciated it. All American Coach in Sylvania Ohio. Back then it was a family run buisiness for 75 years. Good people. I hope that hasn't changed.

    On the paperwork side of things, my credit union handled it all. From the plates/taxes to the dealers payment, it went without a hitch. I highly recommend enlisting such help if it is available to you.

    The walk thru was done it their shop. They had it all setup with all sytems operational. I found one item, a strut that had come loose under the bed. It was fixed immeadiatly.

    The power jack I had requested arrived at the dealer with a broken light switch. They were up front about not being able to get the prt in time. It was ageed that they could mail it to me, as it was a simple fix. Then when hitching up, the jack broke. stuck in the raised position. I asked about swapping it out for an Atwood, as I had good luck with them previously. They quickly agreed. Done deal.

    I totally agree, I'd never buy any trailer without visiting it in person, and a thorough inspection. We bought our last trailer from a dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee, but it was a new unit, and we had the option to refuse delivery if things weren't as we had hoped. Everything worked out just fine, and all issues were dealt with immediately. An excellent experience all in all.

    But a used trailer is a completely different kettle of fish. Even if the seller is scrupulously honest, he'll still present it in its best light with photos and such. An in person inspection is an absolute necessity. And you have to be mentally prepared to walk away if not completely happy. Sometimes what looks to be a little annoyance, can turn into a major PIA.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2001 Dodge Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  8. #8
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have done this. In 2009 I bought a 2010 Palomino Sabre in Ohio. I am in Arizona.

    I would only do this on a new unit. Used just has too many variables. Mainly condition. Pictures will be taken showing one in the best possible manner, and any defects will be glossed over.... then you drive halfway across the country and see somrthing that was not what you bargained for. That happened to a buddy of mine.. He ended up buying it anyway, but was really disappointed in it.
    With new, you know what the condition should be....But even then be prepared to drive away without it if need be.

    My transaction was flawless with the dealership treating us like kings. The best I have been treated on any deal. They of course knew how far we came, and let us know that they appreciated it. All American Coach in Sylvania Ohio. Back then it was a family run buisiness for 75 years. Good people. I hope that hasn't changed.

    On the paperwork side of things, my credit union handled it all. From the plates/taxes to the dealers payment, it went without a hitch. I highly recommend enlisting such help if it is available to you.

    The walk thru was done it their shop. They had it all setup with all sytems operational. I found one item, a strut that had come loose under the bed. It was fixed immeadiatly.

    The power jack I had requested arrived at the dealer with a broken light switch. They were up front about not being able to get the prt in time. It was ageed that they could mail it to me, as it was a simple fix. Then when hitching up, the jack broke. stuck in the raised position. I asked about swapping it out for an Atwood, as I had good luck with them previously. They quickly agreed. Done deal.

    I agree, buying used long distance can be tricky but, I'm hoping for the same luck I've had in the past. Depending on the cost of an RV inspector, it might be worth the cost of a airline ticket to check it out in person.

  9. #9
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I totally agree, I'd never buy any trailer without visiting it in person, and a thorough inspection. We bought our last trailer from a dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee, but it was a new unit, and we had the option to refuse delivery if things weren't as we had hoped. Everything worked out just fine, and all issues were dealt with immediately. An excellent experience all in all.

    But a used trailer is a completely different kettle of fish. Even if the seller is scrupulously honest, he'll still present it in its best light with photos and such. An in person inspection is an absolute necessity. And you have to be mentally prepared to walk away if not completely happy. Sometimes what looks to be a little annoyance, can turn into a major PIA.
    I would agree with that. I have done that in the past with a car and a motorcycle. The car was unseen bought off ebay some 20 years ago. (don't think I would do that now.) the bike was in 2018. I flew out, met the guy at his bank and test rode it up and down the block, finished the paperwork and rode it back home 500 miles. The whole time telling myself if something was off don't hesitate to walk. It's been a great bike ever since. Being the trailers we are looking at are 2021 I would expect a few small blemishes but, mostly like new condition. My biggest concerns are road worthiness, structurally sound and the operation systems. Cosmetic items I can live with at the right price.

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor SolarPoweredRV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    1,174
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Sounds like you are an experienced RV'er and a capable mechanic, having done many mods to the old trailer. I would never take posession of a new-ish RV without personally inspecting it, but that's me. I would make the drive...

    Google RV inspectors, you will get several options to pay a trained inspector to survey your purchase, make it part of the sales contract. It's not a guarantee that things won't be wrong, but I believe it's the next best thing to having eyes on it. Ditto with RV transportation, there are several companies that transport rV's.
    I would add that the Inspector should be chosen by you and they should be a Certified RV inspector. If you are buying from a Dealer, don't go with the Inspector they might recommend, find them your self.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.