User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Higher end brands, what do you get?

My wife and I are going to take a look at a DRV (JX450) this week just out of curiosity. It's around 2X the list price of our current RV, a GD351M. Similar floor plan, so I'm really curious to see what doubling of the price gets you.

Some things I noticed immediately; IS suspension, 17.5in tires, bigger propane tanks, dual pane windows.

However, that said, all that stuff is available now (not when we bought) from GD. The layout is a little different, but, I guess the fundamental question, is there really that much different between a DRV/Luxe/Spacecraft and the next tier down (where I'd put GD)? Seems like it's all the standard Moryde stuff throughout the coach; same awning, same steps, same axles (or IS).

I'm sure many would say "better built" but that's a hard thing to pin down. Our 351M has been pretty darn good as far as build quality. Sure, things have broken, but nothing huge, and frankly, most of it was non-GD stuff (Moryde/Furrion/etc), same stuff everyone else is using.

For those who've owned or looked at the "next level up" RV's, what did you see as the biggest differences? And if someone owned one than then went to GD (or vice versa) love to hear what you perceived as the biggest differences.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    My wife and I are going to take a look at a DRV (JX450) this week just out of curiosity. It's around 2X the list price of our current RV, a GD351M. Similar floor plan, so I'm really curious to see what doubling of the price gets you.

Some things I noticed immediately; IS suspension, 17.5in tires, bigger propane tanks, dual pane windows.

However, that said, all that stuff is available now (not when we bought) from GD. The layout is a little different, but, I guess the fundamental question, is there really that much different between a DRV/Luxe/Spacecraft and the next tier down (where I'd put GD)? Seems like it's all the standard Moryde stuff throughout the coach; same awning, same steps, same axles (or IS).

I'm sure many would say "better built" but that's a hard thing to pin down. Our 351M has been pretty darn good as far as build quality. Sure, things have broken, but nothing huge, and frankly, most of it was non-GD stuff (Moryde/Furrion/etc), same stuff everyone else is using.

For those who've owned or looked at the "next level up" RV's, what did you see as the biggest differences? And if someone owned one than then went to GD (or vice versa) love to hear what you perceived as the biggest differences.
    Step inside one and the difference is obvious. I would have bought one, but their garage wasn't big enough.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HUGE difference from the mass produced models! Frames are outrageously more robust, walls thicker, real wood cabinetry, appliances can be real residential, and so-on. Visit the factories and it will be clear as day to you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice holding tank arrangement too. Be sure to look at that.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DRV was bought out by Thor and they are not nearly as well built from before Thor. Our neighbors here in Florida have one from the last year before Thor. We all went to the Tampa RV show 2 years ago and they went to the DRV units to see how they are now. They noticed right away that Thor has cheapened them up. Fit and finish for one thing is not as good as what they used to be. There was many things they had commented on that they were quite surprised at that had changed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    HUGE difference from the mass produced models! Frames are outrageously more robust, walls thicker, real wood cabinetry, appliances can be real residential, and so-on. Visit the factories and it will be clear as day to you.
    Well, I'm not going to a factory, but I'm hopefully going to see a new DRV in person this week, so I'll report back. I'm willing to pay more to get more, but if the "more" is all trims and finishes, that doesn't have the value to me. If it's instead, as you said, more robust frames/walls, better running gear, better serviceability; that I'd pay more for.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IS suspension,

However, that said, all that stuff is available now (not when we bought) from GD.
    Just one correction so no one gets mislead. You cannot get IS from MorRyde through GD. You could for awhile from what I understand, but no longer. They will help facilitate the transfer over of your unit after it rolls off the line and prior to delivery to the dealer, if you want. You will still need to deal with MorRyde directly to purchase the suspension. I just did mine this past summer. I will say that both the people from MorRyde, and at GD were fantastic at making it happen pretty seamlessly.

As to the subject at hand, My parents had one prior made prior to the buyout and it was a very well built unit. I have heard the same about a decline after the buyout
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this video helpful when looking at the top brands.
    The Audio is good, the video is non sensical.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.

https://youtu.be/WKU2BaArwok
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not going to a factory, but I'm hopefully going to see a new DRV in person this week, so I'll report back. I'm willing to pay more to get more, but if the "more" is all trims and finishes, that doesn't have the value to me. If it's instead, as you said, more robust frames/walls, better running gear, better serviceability; that I'd pay more for.
    More robust frame. Thicker walls (and, therefore, insulation). A lot of things done differently (like the holding tanks, inverter).

I'd suggest you check out their website to check out their construction. Also maybe visit https://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/
    and ask some questions there about DRV.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-06-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, went and saw the DRV tonight. Overall impressions were mixed, I took some pictures and I'll give you the pros/cons I saw compared to our 351M. We toured the LX455, 12' garage, 44' overall, 20K unloaded

Pros:
    Double paned windows, significantly quieter
    Cabinet faces very pretty (see cons for more discussion on cabinets though)
    Layout of the unit we say was very well done
    Quad slides added enough room to notice to the bedroom
    17.5in Goodyear tires
    Disc brakes
    Equalizers have suspension on them (similar, but not the SRE4000's that I installed on my GD, not sure what system is it)
    The basement space was HUGE compared to our 351M
    All the panels to access the wiring/plumbing are slide panels (instead of pulling screws like our rig)
    Ducted AC (didn't run it, but suspect it's quite a bit quieter than our unit, even with the RV Silencers on it)
    Toilets were a marked step up from the GD. In fact, so much so, I'm wondering if I could get them for our unit. Didn't look or feel like an "RV toilet"
    No bunk! Some would consider this a con, but the additional headroom is really nice and the space utilized really well in the garage. I'd love this, my bunk over the garage is just wasted space and lost headroom today
    The shower was pretty spectacular, no way to deny that!
    4 golf cart batteries, inverter already on board
    2 heat pumps! I'd love to have this on my 351M (honestly, I'd like 3!) for cool weather camping
    Power cord reel; the rig didn't have power running, so I couldn't test it, but looks really nice
    Easier service on some wear out parts; the fuel pump for the toys, could change it in 10 mins on this thing. Also, the access panels, mentioned above, would make service easier
    The paint/gelcoat was really pretty
    Many of the walls had a "soft" feel to them. Kept the noise down, but also just felt nice to touch (not hard and thin like my GD). Not all the walls though, some of them were identical to GD, some of them were the nicer/thicker walls

Cons:
    No OneControl?!
    No way to control the RV remotely. I REALLY like this on the GD, and honestly, I think this alone may be a deal breaker. We leave our cats in the unit when we hike during the day, I need to be able to see and adjust if something is wrong
    Drawers were butt jointed. Again, at this level, I expect dovetails, especially in an RV, where things are rocking/rolling and the extra strength of the dovetail would really help
    Some of the wiring was just.. Wow, really type stuff. Just awful, open wires with caps on them under the bed, huh??
    Circuit breakers were labeled with a ball point pen? Again, really guys, get the stickers for the breakers!
    Table in the rear was freestanding, no holes in the floor for it
    Few nails fired in wrong/coming through, again, in pictures below
    This will be hard to see in pictures, but the TV, has the power cord coming through the wall and then into a plug. Plenty of room behind the TV, I have no idea why they would do it like this?!
    All the gutters had the same problem my GD did, where 2 sections come together, no sealant used, so water drips down. An easy fix with a tube of silicone, but, at this price?

And now for the kicker. I talked to the sales guy and asked, "what's the "sell it today" price". He wanted to talk about my trade, but I said, forget about that, I'll sell it privately, I'm looking for the get it gone today number. Hold on to your hats boys and girls. "The best we can do is list". Well, list on this unit is 232K. I paid 72K for my 351M. That's ~3X the price. After I laughed at him, he did come back and say "Let me talk to the manager" to which I said "yeah, probably a good idea" and he's going to call me back tomorrow with a "better" number. He wants to roll the 351M into the deal too, probably because he knows he can sell it for darn near "new" price, especially with all the upgrades we made, and make out on both sides of the deal.

To my eyes, at "mid 100's" I'd consider it. At "mid 200's", no way. Unless you'll give me 100K for mine. Then maybe.

It is a very nice unit, and it would work well for my wife and I. I'd like to see the JX450 as well (slightly smaller garage) and I'll keep my eyes open for one to tour. But if they seriously think there're getting almost a 1/4 mil for of these things with wiring that looks like what I saw.. Well, good luck I guess? Not from me when the first thing I'd have to do is spend a day or two running conduit. And no OneControl, that's a total "dead deal" to me, honestly, I hate the app, I hate how buggy it is, but I also can't live without remote control of the RV when I'm leaving pets in there, not gonna happen.

Oh, one final HUGE pro. No StepAbove on the main entrance!! Just a standard RV drop down step. That almost makes it work 1/4 a mil to me, we hate that system on the 351. HATE it.

Sorry for the length, hopefully someone finds this useful, and love to hear other opinions or questions, I looked pretty hard at this thing so I may have missed things I took note of but failed to mention above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211206_152140.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	38038

Name:	20211206_152157.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	38039

Name:	20211206_152308.jpg