User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Support for Slide in when retracted under theater seating.

I’m new to the forum and to my trailer. My slide out has the kitchen appliances (stove/fridge) as well as the theater seating. I noticed as I was packing up today that the retracted slide platform on which the seats are attached bend easily because there is no support on the front edge which sticks out about a foot compared to the appliance section. I think if you sit in these seats while it’s retracted you could damage the platform and if you travel a lot, the vibrations and bouncing could weaken the platform over the years. I’m thinking of having some kind of support … like a 6’ strip of 1” wood to support the structure while retracted. I know Swintek says no supports needed but I think that’s outside only and this scenario was not really looked at.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grand Design 2022 MLE Travel Trailer
    Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model do you have?

Somewhere I saw an MLE owner fab some "wedges" to counter what you describe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLE slide wedge.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	38021
    Last edited by Capt Bob; 12-05-2021 at 07:50 PM.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not knowing you model make it a little to help you out. I suggest creating a signature with your tt and TV. This way you won't have to repeat this info.
    Ours has the stove, fridge and lounge seating in the slide. Our slide has rollers (2 or 3) to help support it when retracted. If you look carefully underneath it, yours should have them as well.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member RazorbackRollin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Lippert because I had the same feeling. Talked directly to a senior tech he said it is built to give a little. But you will not damage it when retracted. Said straight out there was nothing to worry about.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuriHagel View Post
    I’m new to the forum and to my trailer. My slide out has the kitchen appliances (stove/fridge) as well as the theater seating. I noticed as I was packing up today that the retracted slide platform on which the seats are attached bend easily because there is no support on the front edge which sticks out about a foot compared to the appliance section. I think if you sit in these seats while it’s retracted you could damage the platform and if you travel a lot, the vibrations and bouncing could weaken the platform over the years. I’m thinking of having some kind of support … like a 6’ strip of 1” wood to support the structure while retracted. I know Swintek says no supports needed but I think that’s outside only and this scenario was not really looked at.

Thank you!

It's my understanding that you don't want to put weight on the slide outs when retracted.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    What model do you have?

Somewhere I saw an MLE owner fab some "wedges" to counter what you describe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLE slide wedge.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	38021
    22 MLE. This is what I did. I have a couple of rubber foot pads and they fit just right under. I see no way that this isn’t a flaw in the design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supports.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	38131

Last edited by ZuriHagel; 12-12-2021 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Add picture
    Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackRollin View Post
    I called Lippert because I had the same feeling. Talked directly to a senior tech he said it is built to give a little. But you will not damage it when retracted. Said straight out there was nothing to worry about.
    I’d like to believe that but it flexes just too much. The rubber stabilizer foot pads I put under it fit perfectly and the unit doesn’t move when retracted.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Views:	10 
ID:	38130

This is what I did, these have handles and I used them on my old camper as pads for the stablizer. I like them because they flex a bit compared to plastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    It's my understanding that you don't want to put weight on the slide outs when retracted.
    I think that's hard to avoid, it's too easy to fall into the chair or step on the platform when maneuvering inside with the slide in. Also the weight of kitchen has to be at least 400 lbs and that part of the slide is firm on the ground. The rollers fit just right retracted. The theater seating is very light by comparison and it juts out pretty far from the roller support when retracted. I don't think they really had a choice because the rollers would be under your feet when extended. Extended the platform does not wobble.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuriHagel View Post

Views:	10 
ID:	38130

This is what I did, these have handles and I used them on my old camper as pads for the stablizer. I like them because they flex a bit compared to plastic.

Hopefully they are brand new pads and not the ones you were using on the ground under your stabilizer jacks. Used ones will have tiny pieces of dirt, grit, etc embedded in them that you can't see or feel. Those little particles will do damage to the floor caused by slight movement of the pad as you travel down the road.... unless you have the pad securely attached to the floor itself, it's going to move. I noticed the same flexibility on my 337RLS living room slide and questioned the dealership. I was told not to use the slideout until it's fully extended.... I didn't trust that statement so I called GD. The GD service tech that I spoke with said it's ok to use the one recliner that is closest to the rear of the RV for limited usage but not to use the second recliner at all until the slideout is fully extended. They are designed with flexibility for a reason. On my slideout there is enough flexibility when retracted that the very center can slightly rub on the floor. I started to notice a slight "shiny spot" a few inches long on the flooring from the underside of the slideout rubbing while traveling. I now use three of those small flexible plastic cutting boards taped end to end and then taped down to the floor with blue painters tape. It only takes 30 seconds to install them after sweeping out the RV before retracting the slideout....the shiny spot hasn't gotten any worse but I can definitely see where it rubs on the plastic cutting boards.

These are similar to what I use....

Extra Thick Flexible Frosted Clear Plastic Cutting Mats, Set of 6, by Better Kitchen Products https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3NT32S...BY0FYKTHXKY1MK
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 12-13-2021 at 06:00 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast