User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chucking with B&W Turn-Over Ball

I've got a B&W Turn-Over ball in my 2009 Dodge and a brand new Reece Goosebox on our Reflection 367BHS. I've noticed the first couple of times out that the truck and trailer will chuck forwards and back when the pavement isn't just super great. My only thoughts are that it is attributed to the fact that this hitch and truck have almost 200K miles on them and maybe the insert and receiver in the bed are worn enough to have some slop. This B&W has towed tons of weight over the years from equipment to hay to cattle.

I've been meaning to put my camera on it while towing to see if I can see where the movement is coming from but I haven't got around to it.

Has anyone else had issues with B&W getting worn or is there something I'm not thinking of?

And, no, I don't want an Anderson. I don't want to take stuff in and out of my bed every time I swap trailers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2593[1].jpg   IMG_2592[1].jpg  
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but if you've pulled with a B&W and it's been fine, and now you've added the Goosebox, and it's not fine, I know where I'd be focused.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger that. They put the goosebox on it the day I picked it up so I can't say I've pulled this trailer without it.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    I've got a B&W Turn-Over ball in my 2009 Dodge and a brand new Reece Goosebox on our Reflection 367BHS. I've noticed the first couple of times out that the truck and trailer will chuck forwards and back when the pavement isn't just super great. My only thoughts are that it is attributed to the fact that this hitch and truck have almost 200K miles on them and maybe the insert and receiver in the bed are worn enough to have some slop. This B&W has towed tons of weight over the years from equipment to hay to cattle.

I've been meaning to put my camera on it while towing to see if I can see where the movement is coming from but I haven't got around to it.

Has anyone else had issues with B&W getting worn or is there something I'm not thinking of?

And, no, I don't want an Anderson. I don't want to take stuff in and out of my bed every time I swap trailers.
    Have you tried adjust the amount of air pressure a few pounds either way?
    There is the GooseBox owners group on Facebook you might want to join to get more input.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    Have you tried adjust the amount of air pressure a few pounds either way?
    There is the GooseBox owners group on Facebook you might want to join to get more input.
    Thanks for the lead. I'll try to find the group.

I have seen a mod to the inflation block where a guy drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT and inserted a pressure gauge. I may do that so I can see exactly what the pressure is while trying different settings. The inflation valve is a PITA to use with an air chuck.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Thanks for the lead. I'll try to find the group.

I have seen a mod to the inflation block where a guy drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT and inserted a pressure gauge. I may do that so I can see exactly what the pressure is while trying different settings. The inflation valve is a PITA to use with an air chuck.
    Which is another reason why, in my opinion, the goose box is inferior to the GEN Y torsion flex which does'nt use air

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
    Which is another reason why, in my opinion, the goose box is inferior to the GEN Y torsion flex which does'nt use air
    I considered both for several weeks. Both have pros and cons. The issue with the Gen-Y is once it wears out, it's done. I guess the same can be said for the Goosebox, but it is adjustable when tongue weight changes. Lots of things considered I made a choice...which good or bad....who knows at this point.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GEN Y offers a lifetime warranty for and additional 99.00 when purchased... regardless of brand parts should be replaceable

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joined the goosebox owners group on farsebook. Several have mentioned they have toyed with the pressure and from what I read, most all of them are in different spots on the bag indicator. I'll play with pressures the next few trips and see if I can dial it in. Most have stated theirs does what I mentioned when there is too little pressure in the bag.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too little or too much air can create what you have experienced.
    That little air bag does not need much air. I started with no air, then I over filled it (the bleed feature kicked in, air blowing out as I tried to air-up).
    You need to let ALL the air out and start fresh. Set your air compressor max closer to 20 psi than the 80 psi I had it set for trailer tires. At 80, I maxed it out real fast.
    Just got done with a 1500 mile trip with my 367BHS and Gen2 GooseBox. Yes it will chuck a little at (bad) bridge joints, but not nearly as bad as when it was maxed out or with no air!

Ford puck system with a B&W goose ball.

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast