User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the back also returned that was a bonus. The purpose of WD is not to level the truck, but to return the correct weight to the front end to maintain proper steering and reduce wear on tires and the suspension. Some will argue that, I'm not going to go there. A lot of people crank up the WD so the truck looks good, but that is wrong.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a WDH even necessary on a 1-ton truck? Have you tried towing without it? Even fully loaded I would assume your TW would be around 1500 lbs. Doesn't seem like alot for a 1 ton.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    Is a WDH even necessary on a 1-ton truck? Have you tried towing without it? Even fully loaded I would assume your TW would be around 1500 lbs. Doesn't seem like alot for a 1 ton.
    I am sure you could but without the WDH you would remove weight from the front axle which can cause steering or driveability concerns such as light steering. The WDH brings back that removed weight on the front axle providing optimal driveability. Connecting your trailer to the back is very different than loading the same amount of weight to the box. All of the trailer weight is several feet behind the rear axle. Loaded weight will be distributed throughout the box so both behind and in front of the axles, "distributed". My WDH also has built in sway control which I wouldn't have without it.

To each his own but I still wouldn't tow my TT too far without the WDH on my 3500 much like I imagine you feel with your trailer and the 2500.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I am sure you could but without the WDH you would remove weight from the front axle which can cause steering or driveability concerns such as light steering. The WDH brings back that removed weight on the front axle providing optimal driveability. Connecting your trailer to the back is very different than loading the same amount of weight to the box. All of the trailer weight is several feet behind the rear axle. Loaded weight will be distributed throughout the box so both behind and in front of the axles, "distributed". My WDH also has built in sway control which I wouldn't have without it.

To each his own but I still wouldn't tow my TT too far without the WDH on my 3500 much like I imagine you feel with your trailer and the 2500.

Rob
    Very valid points. I've been very curious about this particular question and I decided to give it a try without the WDH to see if I notice a difference. For me, I did not. Many factors can play into this, most importantly the weight of the trailer. I consider our trailer to be on the lighter end which is why I prolly did not notice a difference. Just wanted to give my personal experience but definitely do what makes you feel safe and confident. Safe travels
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12