User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening slide after freeze / snow?

Hey everybody, since we're not at the camper during the week, and this week there's going to be frozen mix / snow in SW WI, i dediced to close the slide, and want to reopen when we get back there this weekend.

In general, before opening up the slide, should i run the furnace for a bit, in case the slide has been frozen stuck to the main box of the camper? Or is that a non-issue?

Thanks,

Roland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would not think of it being much of an issue to open if it was dry or no visible moisture prior to closing. The only real issue I have experienced in any weather is with the seals or slide walls not being properly maintained. Dirt, tree sap, dust, etc.. accumulating on the seals and walls would be more of the issue in my opinion or experience. However, if there is visible ice or snow around the slide it would be a good idea to let it melt or at least be inspected/brushed off prior to opening.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be an issue depending on the type of precipitation. My brother-in-law experienced an ice storm in his GD fifth wheel... while they were inside. They couldn't get the door open without turning up the furnace and cooking themselves. Inspect things when you get there. If there's not ice coating the flanges of the slide where the seals are, you should be good to go. One thing you don't want to do is rip any of the rubber if it is frozen to a solid surface. Plain old snow or sleet is no problem at all.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealRoland View Post
    Hey everybody, since we're not at the camper during the week, and this week there's going to be frozen mix / snow in SW WI, i dediced to close the slide, and want to reopen when we get back there this weekend.

In general, before opening up the slide, should i run the furnace for a bit, in case the slide has been frozen stuck to the main box of the camper? Or is that a non-issue?

Thanks,

Roland
    I actually broke the tooth off of a gear pack in a lippert hydraulic slideout trying to do the same thing after a cold NH winter. If it doesn't go out easy... don't force it [emoji6]

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=TheRealRoland;405860]Hey everybody, since we're not at the camper during the week, and this week there's going to be frozen mix / snow in SW WI, i dediced to close the slide, and want to reopen when we get back there this weekend.

Thanks

I agree with Rob...depends on the precipitation. I think I would run the furnace and get the inside toasty. You will need to run it anyway so I don't think it will hurt and likely it might warm up area where the exterior seals are. The sidewalls are framed in aluminum so there is no insulation there so I think it would conduct the heat quite well to the exterior seals. The only seal might be the top one but I think it would be the right thing to do.

Assuming the top of your slide was clear of all moisture when you rolled it in. Mine has a topper......I would be concerned about that. I can envision it unrolling and then rip!
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Petrovsky;413608]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealRoland View Post

Thanks

I agree with Rob...depends on the precipitation. I think I would run the furnace and get the inside toasty. You will need to run it anyway so I don't think it will hurt and likely it might warm up area where the exterior seals are. The sidewalls are framed in aluminum so there is no insulation there so I think it would conduct the heat quite well to the exterior seals. The only seal might be the top one but I think it would be the right thing to do.

Assuming the top of your slide was clear of all moisture when you rolled it in. Mine has a topper......I would be concerned about that. I can envision it unrolling and then rip!
    It can be a big issue. Mine was stored in NH winter weather...I let the pistons force what I thought was minor icing on the seals and broke a tooth off of the slide gearpack. Lesson learned....keep the gears well sprayed with WD 40 and let it heat up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DECelt; 02-06-2022 at 05:53 AM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel