Crew Cab
    6.7L PS V8
    10 Speed Auto
    20" OWL Tires
    3.55 Axel
    12,400# GVWR Package
    176" Wheelbase

Yellow sticker on door shows not to exceed 4097 lbs

...and I currently pull a Reflection 31MB.

I am looking at moving to a Solitude 378MBS. A new truck is not an option.

I want to add a Generator and Washer Dryer and when we camp its been 2 weeks to 3 months working remotely.

I generally stay on the easter seaboard up and down the I95 corridor down from DC to FL 4-5 times a year. Average 3-4 people in TV 2 of us pretty beefy in weight. I will have about 75 pound of tools in the bed in a box.

From what I can calculate after reading specs, calling my Ford Dealer and Grand Design I should be just at that limit...but that's all theoretical. I have read all the DRW comments/threads and I can't disagree in any way with any of those comments but again a new truck is not an option.

Question is can I pull the 378MBS safely and legally?

Thanks,
    Bill

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just depends on how seriously you take the yellow door stickers. You'll most likely be over the 4097 lbs. The hitch weight will be around 3200-3500 lbs., that leaves about 500 lbs. for 2-4 people, hitch, and 75 lbs. of tools in the bed. Oh yeah, you'll be over the "not to exceed..." sticker. What you do is up to you then.

Legally? Where does legality enter into it? You're not commercial, so mostly a non-issue. As long as you're not towing over your state's registered figures.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @Hoopy Frood. My calculations show that the pin weight will be closer to 3,700 - 3,800 lbs. loaded - especially with a generator and W/D, though. IMHO, the Solitude 378MBS is a dual rear wheel truck trailer and I wouldn't pull it with a SRW truck.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put your faith in the payload sticker, choose a lighter trailer or buy a dually. The truth is, if nothing is going to break at one pound under GVWR, nothing is going to break at 200 pounds over. That 12,400 pound GVWR is not a magic number. It's not like you are perfectly safe with nothing to worry about at 12,399 and the wheels fall off at 12,401. My guess is that you will be under every rating but GVWR/payload and you will only be slightly/modestly over on that. My biggest concern is always stopping. The brakes on your truck are designed to stop your vehicle up to the GCWR. Will you be under that? Keeping your speed down, staying focused behind the wheel, and diligent maintenance have a much greater impact on safety than staying within your available payload rating. As was stated previously, legality is a non-issue, although someone will chime in soon speculating about liability and insurance companies refusing to pay.

All that being said, you are the only one that can decide if you are comfortable with any particular setup. Plenty of folks wouldn't consider towing that trailer with anything less than a F-450 while other would be fine with an F-250 with airbags.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    The brakes on your truck are designed to stop your vehicle up to the GCWR. Will you be under that?
    I don't think that is correct, maybe in a pinch but not consistently. Unless you speaking in conjunction with trailer brakes.

My brakes completely failed on my new solitude a few minutes from my destination. It was brand new and almost empty so I was well below my GCWR. It was an adventure, no way it could do it on a regular basis, It would fry the truck brakes in short order. It pushed the truck hard. The trailer should have enough brake to stop itself.

A hydraulic line came loose and was damaged dragging on the ground. I lost pressure to all the brakes. Talk about pucker factor the first time I hit the brakes I limped it to our destination a couple more miles by going much slower and allowing a huge stopping distance. If someone had pulled out in front of me forcing a quick stop I would have been in trouble. Was able to cap the line and came home on 3 brakes. Had to take several trips that way until Dexter was able to get the parts out I needed to fix it.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I don't think that is correct, maybe in a pinch but not consistently. Unless you speaking in conjunction with trailer brakes.

My brakes completely failed on my new solitude a few minutes from my destination. It was brand new and almost empty so I was well below my GCWR. It was an adventure, no way it could do it on a regular basis, It would fry the truck brakes in short order. It pushed the truck hard. The trailer should have enough brake to stop itself.

A hydraulic line came loose and was damaged dragging on the ground. I lost pressure to all the brakes. Talk about pucker factor the first time I hit the brakes I limped it to our destination a couple more miles by going much slower and allowing a huge stopping distance. If someone had pulled out in front of me forcing a quick stop I would have been in trouble. Was able to cap the line and came home on 3 brakes. Had to take several trips that way until Dexter was able to get the parts out I needed to fix it.
    I am just thinking that from a liability standpoint, any manufacturer would consider the ability to stop a load up to the GCWR. I have no clue if they actually take into account trailer brakes and I certainly wouldn't want to find myself in your situation without them!
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I am just thinking that from a liability standpoint, any manufacturer would consider the ability to stop a load up to the GCWR. I have no clue if they actually take into account trailer brakes and I certainly wouldn't want to find myself in your situation without them!
    I am not sure how that is figured either but all I can say I would have not traveled home without getting the 3 remaining brakes working.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for all the info...kind of confirmed what the little voice in my head was saying....

Now to find a new truck...

Bill

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyandMinnie View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the info...kind of confirmed what the little voice in my head was saying....

Now to find a new truck...

Bill
    Oops. I never contributed to your original question.

FYI, I pulled my 377 (the precursor to the 378) for 4 years with my 3500 SRW and mine didn't carry a payload rating nearly as high as yours. I upgraded the tires to make sure they had excess capacity (3860lbs ea.) and added air bags to stiffen the suspension while loaded. It ran level without the bags, I only run the minimum of 25PSI. I pull our new 375 with it also. Though, the next truck will probably be a dually but I'm in no hurry to try and buy a truck in this market. I really have/had no issue what so ever. I believe my pin weight in the 377 was around 3700 loaded for travel.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you believe that being over GVWR isn't illegal you need to book hours time with a accident attorney and have him explain how manufacture specs play in civil court. I did and had my eyes open to how insurance works and the need for additional insurance in the forum of umbrella policy. These forum lawyers don't have a clue and give out a lot of bad information. The yellow sticker says "Should" which isn't legally binding but the tow guides and owners manual states "You must Not Exceed" and that is legally binding. My attorney stated that 99% of over weight cases are settle out of court because no attorney with his clients welfare in mind would allow him to go court if there is proof that he was towing over GVWR. You never know what kind of award a jury my impose. The accident attorney told me that a F250 pulling a 5er or a 350 SRW pulling a large 5er is red flag then he showed me an article in a legal magazine that quoted RVSaftey and talked about baby boomers towing over weight.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast