User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I am just thinking that from a liability standpoint, any manufacturer would consider the ability to stop a load up to the GCWR. I have no clue if they actually take into account trailer brakes and I certainly wouldn't want to find myself in your situation without them!
    You are correct manufactures use GVWR for braking performance not GCWR The graphic below is from the Ford User Manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weight-1.jpg  
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the same sort of lawyer also got a $300k judgment against me after his client killed my dog (poison) used hydraulic bolt cutter to break into the conex box i stored dirtbikes in, then crashed on the street and required skin grafts over most of his legs and needed a new face.

So I'm a screw the lawyers guy.

I got the judgment overturned because the dumb fool was caught breaking into my parents garage a week after he got his first payment.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Well the same sort of lawyer also got a $300k judgment against me after his client killed my dog (poison) used hydraulic bolt cutter to break into the conex box i stored dirtbikes in, then crashed on the street and required skin grafts over most of his legs and needed a new face.

So I'm a screw the lawyers guy.

I got the judgment overturned because the dumb fool was caught breaking into my parents garage a week after he got his first payment.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Yep. Civil court has little to do with the illegal/legal and even less with right and wrong.

Think your safe even when your minding your own business and completely legal?? Think again.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/busi...suit-from-2015
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you believe that being over GVWR isn't illegal you need to book hours time with a accident attorney and have him explain how manufacture specs play in civil court. I did and had my eyes open to how insurance works and the need for additional insurance in the forum of umbrella policy. These forum lawyers don't have a clue and give out a lot of bad information.
    If you believe that you're going to avoid being sued in civil court because you're "under" your stickers, I'd suggest you go talk to an attorney as well. If you're at fault in the accident, you're getting sued. And towing these big rigs, you can do a shocking amount of damage; you're 2nd recommendation, I could not agree more; I don't think I'd leave my yard with the RV without a sizable umbrella policy in place.

That said, the real problem with being overweight isn't an attorney. The real problem is getting into an accident in the first place, an accident that you could have avoided if you had more truck. If you get into an accident that's your fault, you're going to get sued. Over or under weight, does not matter. It MAY impact the judgement; especially if it can be proven that you knew you were over. But driving my F450 with my 351M around, I'm certainly not immune to prosecution. Given the cost of these rigs, anyone you hit is going to see (obviously) the $$, if you can afford a 100K+ rig, you can sure afford to throw some money my way for my pain and suffering.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    If you believe that you're going to avoid being sued in civil court because you're "under" your stickers, I'd suggest you go talk to an attorney as well. If you're at fault in the accident, you're getting sued. And towing these big rigs, you can do a shocking amount of damage; you're 2nd recommendation, I could not agree more; I don't think I'd leave my yard with the RV without a sizable umbrella policy in place.
    I agree its not going to stop a lawsuit but presenting to jury anything like speeding, drunk driving, tailgating or be over weight adds to the settlements. If you don't believe it's become a legal issue do a google search for accident attorney RV accidents. see pages of attorneys advertising for cases involving RVs.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I agree its not going to stop a lawsuit but presenting to jury anything like speeding, drunk driving, tailgating or be over weight adds to the settlements. If you don't believe it's become a legal issue do a google search for accident attorney RV accidents. see pages of attorneys advertising for cases involving RVs.
    Absolutely, anything you do that increases your "fault" in an accident, which would include being overweight, certainly does factor in. Another good reason to have a large and comprehensive umbrella policy. But you could be towing with a semi, look down at your phone for a second, hit someone, you'll be just as sued.

I don't encourage nor think people should pull overweight. I have, and I sold my truck to get "in weight". But I didn't do it because I was afraid of the law or being sued, I did it because if I did get in a wreck and that wreck wouldn't have happened or would have been avoided with a bigger truck, I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself. Of course, there are levels to that too, there are accidents that I'd avoid in a semi that I wouldn't be able to control my 450 in, so, for me, it was a balance, what was the biggest truck I could live with on a daily basis. For me, the answer was a 450, for others, it's probably a 150 (450's aren't even allowed in some communities apparently). For others a semi will work for them, so that's what they get (and they are unquestionable safer than I am in a 450).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Absolutely, anything you do that increases your "fault" in an accident, which would include being overweight, certainly does factor in. Another good reason to have a large and comprehensive umbrella policy. But you could be towing with a semi, look down at your phone for a second, hit someone, you'll be just as sued.
    We think a lot alike. When I had my 310GK-R we put tray in the basement and new memory foam mattress and loaded for trip from Kansas to Tucson for our winter get away. We called ahead and made arrangements for a washer and dryer and Omen generator. I had 1 ton SRW with 37XX payload and GD factory sheet said 23XX pounds and just knew I was under my GVWR. A trip to the scales showed me that I was over GVWR and weight of the generator and washer and dryer would put over my GAWR. I don't knowingly tow over GVWR. I went looking for a DRW and drove couple and just didn't like them and didn't want to be only mode of transpiration when RVing. We drove my truck and 310 onto a dealer lot and drove off a 40 foot Class A DP with 7,220 payload. The level of 5er that my wife and me liked are all in the DRW territory.

I do believe a SRW can handle a 310 "IF" you load light but that not the way we travel and didn't want to watch every pound we put in the RV. I do love the Solitude lineup and if I every went back to 5er the GD would be number on my list. I have a friend that has a 450 and that is one impressive truck.....
    Dennis & Ellie

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One risk I see in knowingly towing when you exceed weight limits is having the insurance company void your policy and deny coverage. The operative word is knowingly. But then again, I am not a lawyer; I don’t even play one on television.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am towing a 22 310 solitude with a 2021 SRW F350 with 7.3 gas and 430 gears.
    I am a good experienced driver and consider this the max I would tow. I consider disc brakes on the Solitude a must.
    I have felt very comfortable on the road.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It always blows my mind when the Dually lovers get on here and rip on the the SWR for not having enough brakes to stop your trailer. That is why trailers have their own brakes. No one seems to consider that. Now think about this if you Dually Lovers are going down the road with a trailer only a Dually should be pulling do you think your truck will stop it on its own if your trailer brakes fail. I think you better stop and think again. More weight and more problems.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast