User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Solar Uplift Problems

I am trying to understand the pre-solar wiring and function on my RV so I can upgrade it to using solar - but having issues.

It seems to be acting like the RV doesn't pull power from the batteries at all, beyond starting the generator. I replaced my lead acid with a new lithium that I confirmed was fully charged, yet when I turn off the generator, the whole RV loses power. I understand 1 battery won't run it very long, but it was a test before I added more batteries. I expected the RV would have continued to run at least a few minuets.

I think the inverter only kicks in when the generator has been on a few seconds. My thought was the inverter would pull from batteries if the generator was off.

Am I on track here thinking that normal wiring just doesn't allow for running from batteries?

Thanks for any input!
    Semi-Retired
    2021 3500 Dodge Ram
    2021 Momentum 320G

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicv View Post
    I am trying to understand the pre-solar wiring and function on my RV so I can upgrade it to using solar - but having issues.

It seems to be acting like the RV doesn't pull power from the batteries at all, beyond starting the generator. I replaced my lead acid with a new lithium that I confirmed was fully charged, yet when I turn off the generator, the whole RV loses power. I understand 1 battery won't run it very long, but it was a test before I added more batteries. I expected the RV would have continued to run at least a few minuets.

I think the inverter only kicks in when the generator has been on a few seconds. My thought was the inverter would pull from batteries if the generator was off.

Am I on track here thinking that normal wiring just doesn't allow for running from batteries?

Thanks for any input!
    What kind of inverter are you using? Also, when you say your whole rig loses power, are you losing 12v power as well? The inverter shouldn't be on at all when generator is going as the idea of the inverter is to supply 120v when there is no other 120v sources (i.e. no shore power or generator).

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a WFCO 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter (WF-5110RS). Yes, I lose everything (except the refrigerator oddly). All the 12v lights go as well as everything else. My thought was the dealer had set it up this way so I have to go to them for a solar uplift, but maybe I am just misunderstanding how this works.
    Semi-Retired
    2021 3500 Dodge Ram
    2021 Momentum 320G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for any input!
    Welcome to the forum.

If you are talking about the factory installed inverter, it is probably wired to only run your refrigerator. You may have to buy a new, more powerful inverter to run the rest of your rig. That is of course after spending another $3k to $4k on a bank of batteries...

Upgrading your battery bank is usually the first step.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a WFCO 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter (WF-5110RS). Yes, I lose everything (except the refrigerator oddly). All the 12v lights go as well as everything else. My thought was the dealer had set it up this way so I have to go to them for a solar uplift, but maybe I am just misunderstanding how this works.
    I can tell you that you are "prepped for solar" only and I'm guessing it's a residential fridge. Your inverter is ONLY wired to your refrigerator from factory because it's a 1000w inverter. Factory solar prep only means you have wiring and a conduit to add solar later on. If you inverter was wired into other things from factory you'd have a solar panel on the roof and a 2000w inverter.

So that's why your refrigerator remains on... resi fridge and solar are not interconnected.

Now as far as for you losing power when gen-set is off, that's a separate issue and I'm going to say your battery disconnect is the cause and is engaged. I would double check to make sure your battery disconnect is securely disengaged (not a loose handle and is firmly turned and locked). Your lights, fans, slides, etc. (basically everything except you A/C, microwave, and wall outlet plugs) are run off 12v from your battery. With your generator running, it powers your converter (120v to 12v) which would power the RV regardless of battery disconnect status. Fuses would not be my guess because you have power when running the generator.

Hope that helps.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch
    Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 12-08-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for any input!
    Make sure your battery disconnect switch is turned on (key is not loose and cannot be removed).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't the inverter kick-in only when the external AC source has been removed?

If the fridge run's off AC normally then I would think it would draw from the external AC source until the AC source is removed and then it switches to the inverter for AC. A 1000W inverter can only supply a little over 8 amps AC.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a switch to turn the inverter on and off. I don't have a built in generator, so maybe there is an auto transfer switch with the built in generator. It sounds like you battery disconnect is off or your battery is only connected to the inverter and not to the rest of the rig.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA