User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a 2022 fully loaded 310 gk-r

Hi guys,

I have searched, and imagine that this topic has been discussed already. I could not find it.

We just got our new 2022 310gk-r. We fully loaded it with every option other then the full body paint. With the 8k axles, generator and pull out kitchen. This is a heavy rig! We wont take possession till spring.

Hitch weight empty is 2768 lbs. Trailer weighs 13316lbs empty

Looking at payload hitch weight of a 2022 2500 gmc denali diesel is only 2655lbs.

My questions are....the only option is to go with a 3500? Not sure of pin load rating. Do we go with dual rear tires? Single rear tires may be more convenient when not towing the trailer since we will only be part time rver's.

Because it only has a standard 6'10" box....do we need a slider hitch or is it worth the extra weight and price to go to an auto slider? Our 5th wheel is equipped with a moryde cushioned pin box.

Thanks in advance. We are new to having a 5th wheel. Had a motorhome just prior.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a graphic that explains loading. I sat down with a Accident Attorney for sole purpose of exceeding the GVWR and the legal problems. It can be problem if you are ever in a accident and it can increase the amount of the settlement size. The attorney told me that the yellow sticker says "Should" and that is not legally binding but the words "Must Not Exceed" is legally binding and that what the user manual and towing guides state.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight all.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	38091
    Last edited by CWSWine; 12-08-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This note at the bottom of the graphic is probably some of the best advice you can get and it's from the Ford User Manual.

Attachment 38092
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bet is to look at the GVWR of the trailer, and figure you'll be very close to, or over, 3,000 lbs. on the hitch when the trailer is fully loaded. The Grand Design 5th wheels tend to run right up to, and over, the GVWR when loaded up and ready to travel. With a payload of 2,655 lbs., you'll be quite a ways over that figure by the time you add people, hitch, and any incidentals. 15,000 lbs. is a pretty good chunk to pull behind a SRW truck. I would be looking at a dually, but that's JMO.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can just about promise you that your hitch weight of 2655 lbs is NOT going to be enough.

A SRW 3500 would likely get the job done but, of course, a DRW is the best.

In my case a DRW is not going to happen, but I am upgrading to an F350 long bed, SRW to increase my payload weight and so I can loose my 331 lb slider and just use a goose ball.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacya View Post
    Hi guys,

I have searched, and imagine that this topic has been discussed already. I could not find it.

We just got our new 2022 310gk-r. We fully loaded it with every option other then the full body paint. With the 8k axles, generator and pull out kitchen. This is a heavy rig! We wont take possession till spring.

Looking at payload hitch weight of a 2022 2500 gmc denali diesel is only 2655lbs.

My questions are....the only option is to go with a 3500? Not sure of pin load rating. Do we go with dual rear tires? Single rear tires may be more convenient when not towing the trailer since we will only be part time rver's.

Because it only has a standard 6'10" box....do we need a slider hitch or is it worth the extra weight and price to go to an auto slider? Our 5th wheel is equipped with a moryde cushioned pin box.

Thanks in advance. We are new to having a 5th wheel. Had a motorhome just prior.
    From my experience pulling my 310 GK, I would strongly recommend the F-350 Dually, Long Bed and a 20k Reese GooseBox. With your 8k axles your 310 GK can be loaded even heavier than mine.

With the combination of the F-350 Dually and Reese GooseBox, I often don't even feel the camper behind us.

PS: Driving the Dually without the camper hitched up is not a problem, it is something that you get used to.

PPS: I Love my Truck and I Love my GooseBox !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacya View Post
    Hi guys,

Here is a recent thread about the Dually vs SWR that discusses all the pros and cons:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...tude-5th-wheel
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    From my experience pulling my 310 GK, I would strongly recommend the F-350 Dually, Long Bed and a 20k Reese GooseBox. With your 8k axles your 310 GK can be loaded even heavier than mine.

With the combination of the F-350 Dually and Reese GooseBox, I often don't even feel the camper behind us.

PS: Driving the Dually without the camper hitched up is not a problem, it is something that you get used to.

PPS: I Love my Truck and I Love my GooseBox !!!
    @SolarPoweredRV
    I was looking to go to Reese Goosebox when my LB arrives. Hopefully you can answer a few questions....

1. Why did you choose a 20k instead of a 16k? My scale weights puts my rig at 14.5k lbs so I figured a 16k would be OK; I thought a 20k would be too much dampening and negate some of the effect of the dampening/shocks/air bag - whatever.

2. Do you have any kind of bed cover? If so, which one. I'm hoping to use a Roll-n-Lock but just had a guy tell me he hit the rails on his Retrax.

3. Which hitch ball did you choose?

Thanks!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my first and only setup thus far, so have nothing to compare it to, but I really like my Anderson UH. It's only 40lbs and rated for 30k, so it's a nice weight-saver. AFAIK, chucking isn't bad, only bounces a bunch when the road is uneven.

You'll see I do pull a 310 with a SRW, however it's the newest-gen 3500 with the 10-speed Cummings tranny and cargo capacity on my door is 3909. That said, we are just getting into the swing of things this year and only part time a week or two at a time so far, 2 standard led acid batteries, and total stock setup on the truck and rig, so we're still running fairly light and I've been comfortable with everything thus far. If we add a generator and washer/dryer, I'll probably start looking at a DRW. One of the reasons we stuck with the 310 is for the specific reason that it's just - barely, I know!! - light enough for a current-gen SRW, IMO, of course.
    Last edited by JM0397; 12-10-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our last trip across the scales revealed our pin weight (W/D, but no generator, LiFePO4 batteries at less than half the weight of lead-acid) was 3,280 lbs. The Solitude 310 is not a 3/4-ton truck trailer. A properly equipped 1-ton SRW would be OK... I'm much more comfortable with a DRW truck with this trailer for reasons of stability and safety margin. I have towed a fifth wheel with 3,000 lbs. pin weight with a SRW truck and, though I was within the ratings on the truck, there were some times where I would have felt much better with the dually.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 12-13-2021 at 05:23 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast