User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailun recall

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two Sailuns I had installed in July that fall into the date codes for recall. I called Sailun and was told to take it to any Sailun dealer for free replacement and balancing, but I checked with one dealer so far and he hadn’t heard about it. I have not checked with any other dealers. Sailun and their USA distributor, TBC Corp. need to notify their dealers ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 5 tires from Simpletire last month. When I complained that 3 were over a year old (DOT 3320) and the other 2 were right at one year old (DOT 4420) they told me they considered anything less than 4 years old to be a new tire. Geesh!!!! So I had them installed.

Now Ive got at least 3 tires on a recall list on the rig with no miles and the stickers on them.

When I asked Simpletire to replace them they blew me off and said call Sailun. Nice folks over there at Simpletire - all polite and lovey-dovey until something goes wrong. Then they don't know you.

Today I stopped by my local Tire Kingdom shop and they will take care of things. They just can't mount and unmount them so I have to take them to another non-Sailun dealer who is OK with mounting and unmounting.

Tire Kingdom had another customer in a day ago looking to get replacements but their warehouse doesn't have new tires in yet. So the wait is on. I'm pretty confident that TK will get things taken care of.

I don't plan on using any mail order tire shop anymore. Too many things can go wrong.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    When I asked Simpletire to replace them they blew me off and said call Sailun. Nice folks over there at Simpletire - all polite and lovey-dovey until something goes wrong. Then they don't know you.
    Wow, sorry for your troubles.

Make sure to let Sailun know about SimpleTire blowing you off. When I talked to Sailun awhile back they told me that SimpleTire is one of their "official" distributors. So if one of their "official" distributors isn't willing to help you, they need to know about it.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Copied from SOF

Sailun Tire Americas, Inc. (Sailun) is recalling certain Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk, and Ironhead brand tires, sizes ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16 with DOT codes 2020 through 4120. Due to a manufacturing issue, the tires may experience a belt separation. Belt separation could lead to loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Sailun will replace the tires, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed in December 2021. Owners may contact Sailun customer service at 1-844-281-9696.
    I experienced two Sailun tread separations that fall into this batch, 4200 miles on one and around 4500 miles on the second. I'll give them a call to see if I can get a refund but I will never use another Sailun...they can keep that crap tire. Hankook Vantara has been a much better experience.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    I experienced two Sailun tread separations that fall into this batch, 4200 miles on one and around 4500 miles on the second. I'll give them a call to see if I can get a refund but I will never use another Sailun...they can keep that crap tire. Hankook Vantara has been a much better experience.
    Jeff, Ally,
    Maybe wait and see. I had a set of Sailuns before my current set and they went for over 15,000 miles before I wore them out. I even had a flat in one that got patched and ran for another 6,000 miles before I wore it out.

So maybe just hang on, get the free replacements (if that's still and option). Ya want to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.....

I don't think there is another 16" tire I'd use. I was going to put on some 17.5" Continental HTL2's but am going to go with new Sailuns when they are available.
    Larry KE4DMG

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Let's hope they have the problem solved, and the next batch of Sailun's will be back to their normal high standards.
    Still from China...staying off my trailer...
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Still from China...staying off my trailer...
    Actually, my two Sailuns that fall under the recall were made in Vietnam.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Jeff, Ally,
    Maybe wait and see. I had a set of Sailuns before my current set and they went for over 15,000 miles before I wore them out. I even had a flat in one that got patched and ran for another 6,000 miles before I wore it out.

So maybe just hang on, get the free replacements (if that's still and option). Ya want to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.....

I don't think there is another 16" tire I'd use. I was going to put on some 17.5" Continental HTL2's but am going to go with new Sailuns when they are available.
    It's a fair point Larry, I think they were really good before the Vietnam manufacturing transition. Have you checked out the Hankook 16" Vantara? They just started these and I only have 1k miles on them but they seem to be holding up very well. One other thought I wanted to add, I always kept my Sailun at 110 psi and this was during very hot weather (100+ degrees in Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada) so perhaps I just ran them beyond their max pressure in the heat. Look forward to hear how they evolve and love your idea of stepping up in size as an option B.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    Actually, my two Sailuns that fall under the recall were made in Vietnam.

Oh OK. A couple three years ago I was in the market for new trailer tires and my research at the time said they were made in China. Which took them off my list.
    While it is hard to avoid everything China, I try to buy products made in democratic countries.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    It's a fair point Larry, I think they were really good before the Vietnam manufacturing transition. Have you checked out the Hankook 16" Vantara? They just started these and I only have 1k miles on them but they seem to be holding up very well. One other thought I wanted to add, I always kept my Sailun at 110 psi and this was during very hot weather (100+ degrees in Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada) so perhaps I just ran them beyond their max pressure in the heat. Look forward to hear how they evolve and love your idea of stepping up in size as an option B.
    I always ran mine at about 105 PSI. I tried about 95 PSI for a short time but didn't like that. The tire temps never got overly hot even in those 100 degree days out west. At least they ran a lot cooler than the Westlake which I didn't keep very long.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast