User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Alaska

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    We are hoping to caravan to Alaska summer of 2024. We like the idea of traveling in a group, leaving the planning and reservations to a pro, etc.. We’ve looked at several caravan outfits on the internet and read some reviews. I’d be very interested to hear from anyone here who can personally recommend a particular caravan.
    We did Canada/Alaska with Fantasy RV tours. Highly recommend them. The price includes many tours/activities in the various stops. Since we were fairly new at RVing, we felt a lot more comfortable traveling with others.

While we were a caravan (18 rigs), we were not required to travel together (as in one behind the other). In fact, in Canada they don't want you being more than 3 rigs together. We got a daily road plan (much like the AAA TripTiks). It would show places we could stop (or not, as we wished) enroute from campground to campground.

I will also mention that MANY campgrounds in Canada and Alaska are only 20 or 30 amps (some only 15), and the sites are quite tight, so larger rigs can be an issue.

Yes, the roads can be an issue, but if you watch your speed, it's fine. And, unlike the US, when there are frost heaves or other pavement issues, there are markers (flags, signs) right at the problem spot.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We did Canada/Alaska with Fantasy RV tours. Highly recommend them. The price includes many tours/activities in the various stops. Since we were fairly new at RVing, we felt a lot more comfortable traveling with others.

While we were a caravan (18 rigs), we were not required to travel together (as in one behind the other). In fact, in Canada they don't want you being more than 3 rigs together. We got a daily road plan (much like the AAA TripTiks). It would show places we could stop (or not, as we wished) enroute from campground to campground.

I will also mention that MANY campgrounds in Canada and Alaska are only 20 or 30 amps (some only 15), and the sites are quite tight, so larger rigs can be an issue.

Yes, the roads can be an issue, but if you watch your speed, it's fine. And, unlike the US, when there are frost heaves or other pavement issues, there are markers (flags, signs) right at the problem spot.
    Thank you so much. This is helpful.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the AlCan in 2003 with no real issues and want to go back 8n 22 or 23. (Road closure in Denali) The Canadian roads we mostly fine. "No news is good news" seems to be the rule.

I'm curious about the notion of RVing in the southeast. There are darn few roads and fewer campgrounds that can handle a large rig. We have planned out a truck only trip with some car camping, but haven't made firm plans. Border issues are still changing!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW & I did it from upstate NY in 2019 pulling a 25' TT. 11 weeks, 12,000 miles. We traveled across the country on Rt 2 to avoid Chicago, Detroit etc. We are dry campers, 2 - 12V wet batteries & a generator.
    None of our worst fears were realized. The roads were not too bad as long as you're careful & learned not to be in a hurry. We had little trouble finding dump stations and fresh water but you should plan your travels around them. My practice was to try and run with a full water tank and an empty black tank. Gas was not a problem as long as you realized that you should never pass by a gas station on the Alcan as the "next" one may no longer exist. Paying $7.00 a gallon in the Yukon (back when gas was cheap) was a real shock at first but after a couple times it was just another day at the pump.
    The only reservations we had were for 10 days at Denali. We found that campgrounds in the towns were often crowded gravel lots. Being able to unhook our TT we tended to look for destination campgrounds 10-15 miles out of town where the sites were often much more spacious and much less crowded.
    Probably one of the most enjoyable parts of our trip was that we had no schedule other than our reservations at Denali. If we liked a certain spot we would stay put. Once we had seen enough, we would hook up and move on.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning a 2023 trip to AK for 8 - 10 weeks. Not planning to caravan with others although that would be fun with the right people. We retired youngish so the friends we have that RV are still working. I say research, plan, and prep and it will be fine. There are plenty of YouTubers out there that have documented their experiences and so far they've all come back alive. There's a tire blow out here and a broken spring there, but nothing that can't be overcome if you have the time and patience.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Planning a 2023 trip to AK for 8 - 10 weeks. Not planning to caravan with others although that would be fun with the right people. We retired youngish so the friends we have that RV are still working. I say research, plan, and prep and it will be fine. There are plenty of YouTubers out there that have documented their experiences and so far they've all come back alive. There's a tire blow out here and a broken spring there, but nothing that can't be overcome if you have the time and patience.
    Thanks Chad....i hate being the same age as old people.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks Chad....i hate being the same age as old people.
    Ray
    LOL! Okay, that's not what I meant. We're mid-50's so not that young. But young enough that all of our friends are still talking about working 10 more years and no fun for us when it comes to an extended trip.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be concerned about the toll that bad road vibration would have on your rigs.
    With the flooding this year the roads my be considerably worse than "normal".
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We RVed to Alaska in 2019 and traveled the state for 3 months. Canadian roads are much better than Alaskan roads (they are always under construction). We joined a Facebook page called RVing to Alaska 2019 (this year it will be RVing to Alaska 2022 original). If you want good information join the group. You do not travel in a group, you do your own thing. There is a great book they recommend that you can get on Amazon in early spring that is about $20. It shows each mile marker throughout Canada and Alaska along with what is there (RV campgrounds, food, gas, touristy things to see and do. Go for it - we drove from Glacier NP east side up to the Alaskan Hwy to Dawson Creek where it begins. Traveled across Canada, down the Kenai peninsula, up to Denali, Fairbanks, and the Arctic circle.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ve done Alaska on our own six times

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    I would be concerned about the toll that bad road vibration would have on your rigs.
    With the flooding this year the roads my be considerably worse than "normal".
    The two times in the small jet I flew don’t count for this thread, but twice in a truck camper, once on a Motorcycle, and lastly with our 29RS in 2018. With a little bit of research and the milepost it’s way doable on your own. Road conditions have not been a issue. The motorcycle was best for avoiding potholes but even with the fifth wheel just slow down and enjoy the trip. Reservations for Denali area are a must but no problems doing them a day or so ahead of time elsewhere. Bring a generator and you’ll always have dry camping options which often turn out the most memorable.
    The flexibility of being on your own along with the cost savings are reasons enough to go for it. I did have Good Sam travel insurance and used it twice on the last trip. Bearing went out on the fifth wheel on the way to Homer and my Duramax wouldn’t start because the fuel filter came loose. So stuff happens but it’s part of the adventure. We’re going again in 2023.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast