Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trip to Alaska

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I've always wanted to drive to Alaska, not necessarily to the Anchorage area, but further south like Glacier Bay or so. I've taken a cruise on the inside passage....just like to drive it sometime.
    Not going to for a while, just future idea.

Thoughts from ones that have done it, considered it, said "Hell no".

Thanks

Ray
    I towed my trailer to Alaska 2 years ago. I went alone. I’m thinking of doing it again. I didn’t have any problems. I left the third week in May, it took me 6 days to drive through Canada. I exchanged $100.00 us to Canadian money but mostly used credit cards. All the roads were good and plenty gas stations. Biggest problem Canada don’t have many truck stop size gas stations so had to be careful maneuvering around gas pumps. I would suggest Alaska Highways book lots of good reference material.
    Make sure you have a current passport and if traveling with a pet. Check the rules for shots and pet food. I’ve driven worse roads in the Lower 48. I saw more bear then I could count plus other wild life. Also make sure you have some black out shades 12 midnight and the sun was still out. I go for it and enjoy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve made the trip from southwest Florida a couple of times. The first time there was a very bad piece of highway up near Beaver Creek in the Yukon. It was about 80 miles of complete washout. We drove no more than 20mph. We saw many who were in a hurry with severe damage. The second trip that section of Highway was completely rebuilt and very nice. In fact most of the Alaskan Highway is in better shape than most roads in the US. The piece over the Rockies in Northern BC is a bit winding and bumpy but not bad at all.
    We did a lot of boondocking once in Alaska. It is an RV dream. We traveled just about every road in the state. Stayed all summer. Only hooked up to services one time. Stores and gas stations service RV needs like no other place I’ve been. They have dump stations, water, propane etc. This is the best trip you will ever take. Wildlife everywhere. Salmon runs so thick you would think you could walk across the river on their backs. I bought a fishing license and caught salmon, cod and halibut. We had a bunch flash frozen and shipped home. One note about traveling the Highway. Gas can be 200 miles apart so fill up when you can. Also get the Milepost. It is an absolute necessity for this trip. It documents services, sights and hazards down to the 10th of a mile. I wouldn’t go without it. We started up there in May. There could be some snow that early but nothing serious. We were about 5 months total. Also on the way back consider taking the Casmere (sp) Highway near Watson Lake. It is very remote, beautiful scenery and tons of bears. It passes through an interesting place called Jade City. I could gone on and on. Sorry for the long post. I just get excited thinking about it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petendoll View Post
    We’ve made the trip from southwest Florida a couple of times. The first time there was a very bad piece of highway up near Beaver Creek in the Yukon. It was about 80 miles of complete washout. We drove no more than 20mph. We saw many who were in a hurry with severe damage. The second trip that section of Highway was completely rebuilt and very nice. In fact most of the Alaskan Highway is in better shape than most roads in the US. The piece over the Rockies in Northern BC is a bit winding and bumpy but not bad at all.
    We did a lot of boondocking once in Alaska. It is an RV dream. We traveled just about every road in the state. Stayed all summer. Only hooked up to services one time. Stores and gas stations service RV needs like no other place I’ve been. They have dump stations, water, propane etc. This is the best trip you will ever take. Wildlife everywhere. Salmon runs so thick you would think you could walk across the river on their backs. I bought a fishing license and caught salmon, cod and halibut. We had a bunch flash frozen and shipped home. One note about traveling the Highway. Gas can be 200 miles apart so fill up when you can. Also get the Milepost. It is an absolute necessity for this trip. It documents services, sights and hazards down to the 10th of a mile. I wouldn’t go without it. We started up there in May. There could be some snow that early but nothing serious. We were about 5 months total. Also on the way back consider taking the Casmere (sp) Highway near Watson Lake. It is very remote, beautiful scenery and tons of bears. It passes through an interesting place called Jade City. I could gone on and on. Sorry for the long post. I just get excited thinking about it
    The correct name is Cassiar. (I had to google the correct spelling). It bypasses the Alcan for about 450 miles. It has some very spectacular scenery. If you travel early in the year, there is a lot of wildlife to be seen. When we went in July, most of the trees were in full foliage and the only animals we spotted up close were caught by surprise and were just 1 step away from disappearing into the bush. It had some slower travelling areas than the Alcan, but was not bad at all. You don't want to be in a hurry anyhow.
    When you boondock, keep all food inside your vehicle or trailer. Almost all the big wide spots along the roads that we boondocked in had bear trails from all directions and were strewn with garbage. We kept our pets close also. The porta-potties along the way were not very clean and had "tp landmines" behind them, so watch your step. We quit stopping at them. It is a trip you will remember.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As daunting a trip as it sounds, it is still something we want to do. The folks that have chimed in on this post are awesome.
    I will get the "Alaska Highways" book.....will be fun to research. Another replayed that they were gone 57 days.....THAT is nothing that I want to do, just a nice trip up, stay a while and then home.
    Thanks for your input.

Merry Christmas
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by opandy View Post
    I towed my trailer to Alaska 2 years ago. I went alone. I’m thinking of doing it again. I didn’t have any problems. I left the third week in May, it took me 6 days to drive through Canada. I exchanged $100.00 us to Canadian money but mostly used credit cards. All the roads were good and plenty gas stations. Biggest problem Canada don’t have many truck stop size gas stations so had to be careful maneuvering around gas pumps. I would suggest Alaska Highways book lots of good reference material.
    Make sure you have a current passport and if traveling with a pet. Check the rules for shots and pet food. I’ve driven worse roads in the Lower 48. I saw more bear then I could count plus other wild life. Also make sure you have some black out shades 12 midnight and the sun was still out. I go for it and enjoy.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petendoll View Post
    Your post was so long in a great way and so awesome in the material.
    Thanks so much.....Milepost us in my Christmas wants from grandkids.
    I aa, stocked.

Merry Christmas
    Ray

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk111 View Post
    WARNING.....LONG POST

We drove the Alcan "solo" 3 times from Oregon in 2002, 2004 and 2007. From Homer to Fairbanks. Fishing, clamming, mushroom hunting and all the tourist traps our time allowed. The safety of travelling in a group may appeal to some people, but we usually don't travel with an itinerary. They were some of the best trips we took. The best time for us was July/August and all the services along the way were open. We were a bit nervous on our first trip taking our 6-year-old kid and 2 dogs with us, but all went well. We took over 20 rolls of 35mm film....took a long time to budget getting it developed. LOL
    Have all your maintenance caught up, take 2 spare tires, (we never had a flat tire) and get the "Milepost" magazine. It's about an inch thick and lists all sorts of stops along the way. Rest areas, viewpoints, rv parks, campgrounds, stores, restaurants, shops, points of interest, major side roads...it's a must have for the trip. We boondocked most of the nights, just drove when we wanted, stopped and looked at sites when we wanted and usually called ahead mid-day to an rv park that was advertised in the Milepost if we wanted to get a spot for the night.
    We saw all kinds of wildlife, a lot of them right on the roadside. Mountain bison, black bear, grizzly bear, stone sheep, dall sheep. deer, elk, fox, coyotes. The roads were better every year we went as there were construction areas all along the way. Mostly building a 5 or 10 mile section alongside the old road. Keep an eye out for orange or red flags, cones or poles along the road. If the marker is on the left, the frost heave is on the left, same as right side. You will often see a set of skid marks like a dotted line leaving some of the heave areas, that was someone's tow vehicles rear brakes as they slowed down hard bucking their way thru the bump.
    We put our passports (even before they were required) drivers licenses, vehicle and trailer registration and dog vet health papers all in a big envelope and handed it over to the border guards and let them look at what they wanted. Answered a few questions. It was super easy to go thru customs at that time, not sure about now. We are planning on going again in a few years after things settle down. Its a super nice trip. There is beautiful scenery around every turn. If you are even thinking about it, do it.
    Jik111, that was an AWESOME post. I just to go now.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.......maybe we can drive to Oregon and say hello on our way up.

Ray

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great trip as long as you have the time to go at your own pace. We have traveled to Alaska Three times ,1969 tent trailer, 2008 Class C, 2012 36' 5th wheel, lived in Fairbanks for 4 years and have our 4th trip planned for 2022,36' 5th wheel. All great comments from all the posts. The drive to Skagway is not a problem with the tow haul or engine bake the truck of today have. As mentioned, the Milepost book has a lot of information of the highway as you go along. Two additional books I find of help, The Guide to Alaska Camping by Mike and Terri Church and for those doing the tourist thing the Alaska Tour Saver book gives discounts to many attractions which quickly pays for the cost, www.toursaver.com. Have a great trip and we may see you along the way
    2017 Solitude 321RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are currently in Seward after a long trip from northern Florida. I’ve read through this thread & later I’ll make a longer post but I want to comment on some of the posts made in this thread. Based upon our experiences in July & August of 2023 I would like to say that the roads in Alaska have been far better than the Alaska Highway. They have markings for the centerlines & shoulders & there has been a lot of very good Highway on the trip from Tok to Fairbanks to Denali to Palmer to Anchorage to Seward. There are sections under construction in Alaska & most seem to for improvements such as more lanes & newer bridges. The Alaska Highway has a few sections under construction. However the section from Destruction Bay to the Alaska border is the worst highway I’ve driven in 18 years of rving through all 48 lower US states. There are sections where you must drive at 5 mph. The frost heaves are awful. When we arrived at Tok I met a caravan couple who were finishing their trip to Alaska. The group met & decided to go back through Chicken & Dawson City along Top of the World Highway & the ferry. I called him 2 days later & he told me the route was 130 miles longer & worse than the Alaska Highway from Destruction Bay to the Alaska border. There were 4 tire failures, 2 broken springs & 1 broken shackle bracket among that group when they traveled up through Destruction Bay but they said it was better than the Chicken route. So we are preparing for the return trip the way we came up. However we plan to take the Cassiar highway from a ice Watson Lake to Prince George. Have any of you made that trip recently & what were your experiences?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove to Alaska last year and your observations are spot on to ours. It was an epic adventure that I would do again in a heartbeat.

In answer to your question, we came home down the Cassiar Highway and visited Terrace and Kitimat in BC before heading back to Prince George. The Cassiar highway is not for the faint of heart. The first hundred and fifty miles are pretty narrow and there are no lines on the road (either the sides or the middle.) It isn't bad until a Semi truck or other large vehicle is coming the other way when it gets a bit nerve wracking. Eventually, it opens up and is fine.

There is NO cell service and very, very minimal services along the route so plan accordingly.

Good luck!
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worse roads Destruction Bay to Tok in mid June mostly fox coming back in August, other than that, worse roads are in Colorado!
    We left Tx June 1 schedule home Sept. 1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234