User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F450 new tire time; 225/70-19.5

Should be a no brainer right, just go to your trusty tire store and get new tires. Let the saga begin....

19.5 tires are not easy to find, tires that fit most light trucks and SUV's cannot be found in 19.5 size.

I like to research a bit before spending a few grand, 6 F450 tires are going to cost a bit. My 2019 F450 came with Continental HD3 tires. I had mega issues with them cupping until they where rebalanced and the front end aligned, then they smoothed out and with frequent rotation have been doing well. I just rolled over 60k on the F450 and the tires still have some tread on them, but, I am at my winter home, a ski resort. That means snow and ice, and I would like a little better traction, I was kind of sliding a little coming over the pass last night.

I also prefer to buy American made products. I have used Michelin LTX's on my Chevy's for many years and have years and have been happy with them. But they are not made in a 19.5. When I got my new Goodyear G614's put on the MO the truck tire store I was at (in Denver) recommended Goodyear G622's. Cooper makes a tire also, Discoverer AT3 4S.

So lots of review reading; The Michelin XDS came out on top as the best pick, the Goodyear G622's appeared to be a little noisy, and I couldn't find much on the Cooper Discover AT3 4S. I have called 4 different tires stores here in the Salt Lake area and nobody can get the Michelin XDS. The Goodyear web page says that the G622's are not available. There are a bunch of other brands available. But I am a tire snob and lean towards keeping my money spent locally, as much as possible. I can get Hankook DH35's tomorrow.

So I would love to hear about others who have F450 and what tires they are running and how they like them. Snow traction is important to me, but I don't want tires that sill sing to me all summer long. I'm 90% highway, 5% dirt, and 5% snow.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking at commercial truck truck tire places.

I run 19.5s on my 250 and I go to McCarthy Tire which is one of regional medium and heavy truck tire chains.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with looking at commercial places.

Back when I had my mh, I got Firestone FS560’s also made in USA. Had them on the mh for nearly 5 years before I sold it, they still looked great with zero issues. Had about 20k on them when I sold it. Cost me about 2k for 6 of them in 2015.

Good Luck with your purchase. Let us know how it goes.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Coopers are what came on my 2012 F350 and they were an excellent tire. Never had an issue with them, they were quiet, wore extremely well (aged out before they wore out).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blew through the stock Conti Hybrid HD3's in 20Kmi on front of our 2019 F450- no discernible tread left on both edges of both sides of the fronts. Rears are doing OK, but notices a few chunks of tread are now missing but still should get at least double what I did out of the fronts. I didn't want the closed shoulder of a true steer tire, so looked hard at the 19.5in Michelin XDS2, the Bridgestone M704 and the Toyo M920. All 3 are "All position", 87MPH speed rating and 3-Peak tires. Seems plenty of feedback on the Michelin & Toyo - both with stories of them being out of round. I wanted to go Bridgestone but couldn't find much in the way of reviews or inventory and ended up with a fairly decent price on the Toto M920 with local inventory. Have a little over 2K on the M920 now and liking them - about 600mi of that with the Mo on hitch. Not much in the way of noise, no vibrations (but also have Centramatics) and no issues in the rain, but have yet to test on snow or ice. Go to a truck shop that specializes in commercial tires.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have the Centrimatics on for all of the first 20k?

Contemplating having them on hand for when my truck is delivered.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, installed at vehicle delivery.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add some to the discussion ..

2 weeks ago I replaced my OEM Conti's with a set of Goodyear G622 225/70R19.5 for all 6 tires.
    https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...sell_sheet.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221202_090058.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	44262

I was in a bit of a hurry to get these since I was heading out for a work trip. I was able to get them in 2 days at my local Discount Tire. As an added bonus, they matched a price I found online - so I go the whole set mounted and balanced (beads) for a little over $2.6k.

Anyway, on the work trip, I drove unloaded from northern Colorado to Peoria, AZ to pick up my 349M at my cousin's house. From there, I pulled the Momentum to Mesquite, NV, loaded it full of food, fuel, and water, then went to a camp location at the end of 3 miles of pretty bad BLM road.

My surprise was that road had about 3/4 mile of pretty soft sand. I didn't stop to check it out since, once in it, I was pretty focused on not getting stuck - meaning not stopping. My buddy coming behind me said the tracks looked to be about 6" deep.

Using 4 high, Deep Snow/Sand drive mode, and being as steady as I could on the throttle I was able to pull the 349M into that location and back out 5 days later the same way.

The next test was the trip home pulling the 349M with a couple of motorcycles, toolbox, and misc gear. Basically, that was Las Vegas, NV, back to Peoria, then to Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and north on I25 home to Loveland, CO. On flat or downhill, I pull at 70-75 mph. No issue with the tire temps or pressure as reported by my TST507.

The final test was the snow in town. The final 8 miles into town I pulled the Momentum on mostly plowed but patchy deep slush and packed snow roads. The final 4 blocks was unplowed 4" of snow in my neighborhood and slightly uphill to my house. Again, no problems with the G622s.

Today with no trailer, I purposefully drove around my neighborhood in 4wd and 2wd trying to break loose cornering, accelerating and braking. Being a F450 w/475HP and ~9K lbs empty, of course I could get it loose. But I can definitely say that these Goodyears have much better snow traction than the stock Continentals.

In all, I'm extremely happy with these tires for what I use them for. They do "sing" a little on the road, but it's kind of a high pitch whine that (to me) isn't that loud or bothersome.
    signature