User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing a Solar System in Phases...

The following is in response to a question on the Electrical Wiring forum.

Since this topic is of General Interest, I thought I would re-post my response here in order to let more people see it.

The Question was: Can you install your Solar system in phases?

Here is my advice...

Yes, building your system in phases is a very valid way to keep your wallet happy and to get a really good system in the end.

The key to getting the best system without wasting money is to design your system as a whole and install the components you will need at the end, versus installing the components to match your current (smaller) system. A good example of this is in cabling sizes and Solar Charge Controller, if you are going to have 1,200 Watts of Solar in the end, don't buy a Solar Charge Controller for your smaller 300 Watt Solar panels, buy the Solar Controller for the final 1,200 Watt system.

The way I would approach this would be...

Design the final system completely and decide on the system components from the beginning (plan for a bit of expansion because by the time you purchase the final components they may be cheaper and you can increase the sizes [ie.: Solar panels are getting cheaper and better all the time]).

Once designed, I would start with the Lithium batteries, you can start with one or two and add more over time (I would definitely plan for battery bank expansion regardless).

At the same time, or as near to the start as possible, I would upgrade to a Lithium Converter (unless you plan on installing an Inverter that includes charging capability). I would also prioritize installing a battery monitor as part of the first phase.

The next phase depends on what you and your family want out of your system. Do you want to have extended Boondocking or would you prefer to have access to 120v electricity while boondocking?

If you choose extended boondocking, then Solar will be your next phase. Keep in mind that Solar is only there to re-charge your batteries. I strongly recommend using Residential Solar panels versus using the 100 - 200 Watt Renogy, Grape, or Newpowa type panels. The cost of Residential Solar panels is way better than the previously mentioned panels (on a Dollars per Watt basis). Additionally, you will get much more wattage with fewer panels to mount (i.e.: I have four panels for 1220 Watts versus 12 of your [the OP's current Solar panels] 100 Watt Renogy panels).

Adding Solar can be delayed (indefinitely) by having a Generator or by not boondocking often enough to justify the expense.

The next phase is the convenience of having 120 volt electricity while you are boondocking. I can't overstate how nice it is to have access to your Microwave (or even your Air Conditioning) and all other 120 volt appliances (think Coffee Maker) while stopped for Lunch at a Rest Area, or for a boondocking overnight stop.

Again, this phase can be completed independent of installing Solar.

To round back to the beginning; by planning out your system in advance, you will be able to plan your spacing for the batteries and other system components and by knowing the size of your Inverter, you will be able to install the proper size cables right from the start. Knowing the plan in advance will allow you to make informed decisions about which components to install and which components may need to be replaced along the way.

Note: It takes a very robust Battery and Inverter system to operate an Air Conditioner. I do not want to mislead any one that if you add Solar and a Lithium battery, you will be able to run your A/C. It takes a Lot of batteries and a big Inverter to operate an A/C unit (and this won't come cheap).
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 12-11-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up, thanks for posting it here.
    I
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 12-11-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV thanks for writing this post. I always find your post to be educational and useful. Specially since this subject is new to a lot of us.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a balance between large and small panels. With larger panels, you may have space issues. Yeah, 100w panels will be a lot of work, but 210w Newpowa panels would be just 6 [vs 12]. Slightly more than 4, but those 6 may allow for better placement. If one panel goes out you may loose 25% of your output vs 16% or even 8% [yes, a shorted panel could shut down everything too], Keep all your options open. Sometimes more is less. Same with series and parallel. Research and find out what is best for you.

Having two MPPT controllers does have an option that if one goes south, the other one is still working. A lot like a spare tire. Yes, it does add to the complexities and the more you have, the more that can go wrong. Again, something to think about. Potentially loose 100% or just 50%.

Tilt option will allow you to get the most out of each panel. Tilting may allow for less panels and save you money. Just something to think about because it does add complexities to the build.

Obviously cost is part of the plan, but I've always thought that cost is secondary. If I cannot afford it now, I will after saving a few more months. Purchasing items that fit the budget usually causes me to purchase what I really wanted later down the road. Which ends up costing much more. Research what you want without the cost in mind. Then decide on if what you want is something you can live with/afford. Sure, everyone wants 2 A/C's running 24/7 and that can be done, but in reality, you could deal with less and get satisfactory results.

One good thing about living with the internet, there are several different ways to do anything. There are hundreds of video's and sites that support opinions on what is right. Research and find out what is right with you. Don't accept any one opinion and run with it.
    Last edited by Butcher; 12-11-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, Excellent write up. I own a GD 22MLE and wondering where would be best place to stage the lithium battery. I read in the forum that some one suggest under the dinette sit, but must the video show people placing the battery in the basement (garage). What are your thoughts? Zigman
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zygmunt View Post
    David, Excellent write up. I own a GD 22MLE and wondering where would be best place to stage the lithium battery. I read in the forum that some one suggest under the dinette sit, but must the video show people placing the battery in the basement (garage). What are your thoughts? Zigman
    First, where are your batteries currently?

I usually don't like batteries to displace any of my storage if it can be helped. I see from your post that you live in NC, so Cold Weather will be a factor with your battery placement. If you NEVER camp in the Cold Weather, you can consider placing your batteries on the tongue, realizing that you will not be able to charge them if they are 32 degrees or below ( you can still take energy from the batteries in freezing weather, just not charge them).

Is it possible to place the batteries under the bed, or side tables very close to the front cap? The batteries are sealed and they can be installed on their sides, I have even seen them hung from the ceiling, upside down, in the hold of a fifth wheel.

Here is another "outside-the-box" thought: in your hold, the space between the outside wall and your frame is usually not covered (underneath) by Coroplast. With careful measurement you might be able to cut a hole in the floor of your hold and build an insulated box underneath it to hold your batteries, you can then place the cut-out on top of the box and you will have full access to your hold. I had a camper that installed a tool box with a cover in that space and I originally planned to install my batteries in that space before I switched campers.

Let us know what creative way you came up with to store your batteries.

PS: maybe some of the other readers could let us know of some other creative ways they have seen batteries installed.

PPS: I installed my batteries under the stairs of my 5th Wheel, this was otherwise wasted space and it turned out to be a great centralized location for all the other electronics required to support my system.

You can also consider some unused space under, or behind, a cabinet since, once installed, you should not need to access them regularly.

I'm just trying to get you thinking about all the unusual places the batteries can be mounted because you do not need to perform any maintenance on them and they can be mounted in any orientation.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, where are your batteries currently? I am still in the planning stage and still trying to decided the best to place to storage at least 2 BattleBorn Lithium batteries.

I live near the coast, so the cold weather isn’t much of factor. It might get cold here one or two days. But it doesn’t last long. I am not planning on camping in the cold weather, but you will never know. I was got cold in Texas last year, and it usually doesn’t freeze in that part of the State. It sound like under the bed is the best option, it is close to the cap. The fuse box is next to the dinnette. I notice a lot of people place a board and mount the inverter and controller on it in the basement. But there is plenty of room under the bed for all that stuff. Thanks!
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, where are your batteries currently? I am still in the planning stage and still trying to decided the best to place to storage at least 2 BattleBorn Lithium batteries.

I live near the coast, so the cold weather isn’t much of factor. It might get cold here one or two days. But it doesn’t last long. I am not planning on camping in the cold weather, but you will never know. I was got cold in Texas last year, and it usually doesn’t freeze in that part of the State. It sound like under the bed is the best option, it is close to the cap. The fuse box is next to the dinnette. I notice a lot of people place a board and mount the inverter and controller on it in the basement. But there is plenty of room under the bed for all that stuff. Thanks!
    Placing the Inverter and batteries is a good location, however, some people are bothered by the fans cooling the Inverter while they sleep. This would probably not be an issue if you are not running any large 120v loads while you sleep (usually an issue if you have a Residential Refrigerator). Still the batteries can go under the bed without a problem.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was what I was thinking too. I am not worth about the noise, you can tune it out. Have a Happy New Year!
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was what I was thinking too. I am not worth about the noise, you can tune it out. Have a Happy New Year!
    I'm planning on placing mine exactly where David placed his. Under the pantry and dinette bench beside the pantry. Here's why, it's wasted space, it's right beside the converter/charger so cable runs are short, right where the shore power comes in, and fans noise should be minimal heard from the bed.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast