User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish to address the issue of not being able to get the B&W Companion hitch out of the Turnover ball hole... I installed a B&W Turnover Ball with the Companion hitch on our 2006 F250 and helped my brother install one in his 2018 Sierra. Both of us had the hitch get get stick in the holes. I go both of them released but learned lessons: It was our own faults! My brother's Sierra is a daily driver and he pulled his 40 foot 5er several times a year. Our F250 is used 'only' for towing our Solitude and little else.

What I found is this: You cannot leave the hitch locked into the Turnover Ball part of the hitch forever! The mechanism is under the truck and is subjected to everything the under-side of your truck is, especially in rust-belt states. The problem was because the pin release mechanism slides through a slot with a locking recess at the end. This gets rusty very quickly and will no let the release bar slide through the rust. We had to drive the pins out and then use rotary wire wheels to clean out the slots. Brand name Anti-Seize applied liberally seems to keep everything moveable.

My brother's brother-in-law (I know) bought him a hoist that mounts in his hitch receiver and lifts his companion out of the hole and sets it on a cart for storage. Mine, I take it loose about once a year to make sure the mechanism is still free and loose, pulling the hitch and then putting it back. I mean, I'm supposed to check the torques of the mounting bolts anyway, so why not go the extra mile to keep everything loose and operational?

I don't really care which 5th wheel hitch you use...The B&W makes absolutely NO NOISE while puling our 14k+ Solitude in every situation. Everywhere I can actually hear the puck and pin systems while they're turning corners. It is very simple to hitch and unhitch, and the locking system is very positive and unmistakable when it is locked!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the PullRite Superlite #2600 I love it, it's almost like the AUH but it's made of steel, I was using it when I had my short bed and still using it now, it's a great hitch.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not the same

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Because he is my boss, thats why.
    There are plenty of pics on the net.... Pick some of those to learn from.
    Just as I though. The pics your referring to are from accidents, don`t qualify. Why don`t you ask your boss nicely for the pics and tell him it`s because someone is calling you out on a statement you made.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Just as I though. The pics your referring to are from accidents, don`t qualify. Why don`t you ask your boss nicely for the pics and tell him it`s because someone is calling you out on a statement you made.
    First off... I do not care if you believe me. It is quite apparent that you will refuse to believe that this hitch fails, and no amount of evidence will change your mind..... But any reasonable person will look at the body of evidence to the contrary. There is just too much evidence out there.
    As for my asking my boss to prove it.....You are out of your mind. That will not happen.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    First off... I do not care if you believe me. It is quite apparent that you will refuse to believe that this hitch fails, and no amount of evidence will change your mind..... But any reasonable person will look at the body of evidence to the contrary. There is just too much evidence out there.
    As for my asking my boss to prove it.....You are out of your mind. That will not happen.
    Again just as I thought. I think you missed the point about the accidents. I`m sorry you work for a tyrant. I ran a very successful business for 35 years before I sold it and retired and if a employee of mine asked for this I wouldn`t have a problem with it. But again if a building isn`t designed to with stand a tornado it will fail, I think that was apparent last week. An extreme example but to the point.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly... Would like to see it! I also wonder if it was the 1st generation or the new and improved, better reinforced one! I stand by Anderson... PERIOD!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cstratton73 View Post
    Exactly... Would like to see it! I also wonder if it was the 1st generation or the new and improved, better reinforced one! I stand by Anderson... PERIOD!!!
    Not going to happen he will go away, he`s been called out and just doesn't like it.
    I ran an Andersen for years with 15,238 lbs on it and had enough panic stops to prove the thing works. I changed over to the Pullrites 2600 for a little more bed space and it preforms the same.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also seen the pictures of the badly bent Andersen, no need to impugn the guy's honesty. There's been two instances that I've read about on forums, with the pictures showing the damage, posted by the people who owned them. But, it was the unimproved version. Of course they did brag how strong that 1st version was, and how well it worked. I've heard of no problems with the redesigned hitch.

Why do you think they redesigned the hitch if there weren't a few issues with it? Don't let blind loyalty lead you astray.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Not going to happen he will go away, he`s been called out and just doesn't like it.
    I ran an Andersen for years with 15,238 lbs on it and had enough panic stops to prove the thing works. I changed over to the Pullrites 2600 for a little more bed space and it preforms the same.
    I have no idea which generation he has......BUT, here is the big question........ Did Andersen recall and replace the first generations? Since you all seem to agree that their were failures, then that is what an upstanding company would do..... If one produces a product that is later found to be lacking and dangerous..... They should replace it or fix the flaws...

I have never seen any other brand of hitch folded up like the Andersen,
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP's question was about help choosing a B&W hitch. The thread has gone way off the rails with arguments about the Andersen hitches. It would be sad to have to lock the thread because of this - please keep posts on-topic for the OP.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast