User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Companion 3500 Height/Horizontal suggestions?

Hi,
    We're about to buy a first 5th wheel (Grand Design 278Bh). I went ahead and bought the B&W Turnoverball hitch to be used with the B&W Companion 3500. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Lariat 6.7 diesel 4x4 with 6'4" bed, stock springs with 18"rims. I got under the truck bed and looks like turnover ball is about 1in forward of the axle (toward cab). Based on the Companion 3500 instructions I would set hitch in Position 1. My question is; based on my vehicle and 5th wheel we would be buying, what do you guys recommend I set the height and horizontal positions at? (see diagram). Wanted to set this up to best positions before we were to go and pick it up. This would be first time I've towed a 5th wheel with the 2016 Ram.

Thank for all your help & suggestions
    Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Companion 3500.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the position 1 combinations would put your kingpin aft of the axle.

You do not want that.

I would do position 2 left column.

That will put pivot in front of axle.

If your ball is significanlty more than than 1" forward I'd go position 2 middle.

best way to tell is pull the ball out and drop a plumb bob through the turnoverball mount.

Mine is about 2 inches forward of the axle but I have a companion slider
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, Yea, makes sense. I'll see what I can do tomorrow on getting a Plumb Bob and give my results.
    What do you recommend in the height? 16, 17, or 18in? I would assume 18in, to make sure I'm clearing.
    Thanks
    Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats probably best place to start and if you have tons of clearance and the trailer is nose high then adjust down.

There really is no one size fits all measurement for that.

There is too low (say less than 6 inches over bed rails to camper underside) but too much is really only governed by the rig being level or not.

How I set mine up. Dead flat parking lot.

Hooked up camper. Adjusted air bags until truck bed was level. (50 psi for me]

Then put level on trailer frame. It was slightly nose down. I have a 2WD so it sits lower than a 4WD.

Raised arms to the upper hole. Truck stayed level (same weight so it should) and trailer was then within 1/8 bubble of level on my 6 foot level on the frame.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was able to do the plumb bob tonight. It's 2in forward of rear axle (Toward cab). If I'm reading everything right, you suggest Position 2 @ 18in (top left corner settings based on diagram)? Thanks for all the great info this helps out alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 2" forward, top left or top center, position 2.

I'd lean towards center, as that still puts your pin 1" forward of axle.

Forward is 3" just check cab clearance in sharp turns and it will put a little more weight on the front axle.

Either should be a good starting point.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    22 Ford F-450
    Va Beach, VA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Thanks so much for all your help!