Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question About Material Used on Roof and Underbelly

In looking at the 17MKE at a dealer, I noticed the material used on the roof and underbelly seems to be very thin. I checked with the Grand Design. He told me the material on each area is very durable and that they know of no problems with debris hitting the underbelly and tearing it. I just wanted to check with others to see if this is true.

In addition, I was also told starting in Jan of 2022, GD will use a thicker material on the roof, (1 and a half times thicker than what is currently used.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had no issues with neither the TPO roof or the coroplast underbelly. I clean and inspect to roof 3-4 per season and visually inspect the underbelly before each trip.
    If the new tpo roof comes thicker then that would better.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My roof has been fine so far, and the only issue with the coroplast has been when the dealer cut a big hole in it to access a faulty grey tank valve and tried to tape it up with what appeared to be duct tape or something - it lasted one trip. But the coroplast itself has been great so far with about 15k on the unit.

I did notice gd has increased the roof warranty on the new units so perhaps the thicker membrane is why.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlAJ View Post
    In addition, I was also told starting in Jan of 2022, GD will use a thicker material on the roof, (1 and a half times thicker than what is currently used.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both working fine on ours. Going on 1.5 years and about 3K miles. No rips or bubbles as yet.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 Reflection that has developed a 1.5 inch hole in the roof about 2 inches from the edge. The repair shop is pushing me to file an insurance claim and replace the entire roof. Any recommendations to repair or replace? If repair, what are the best options? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jottohedrick View Post
    We have a 2019 Reflection that has developed a 1.5 inch hole in the roof about 2 inches from the edge. The repair shop is pushing me to file an insurance claim and replace the entire roof. Any recommendations to repair or replace? If repair, what are the best options? Thanks in advance.
    One suggestion would be to use Eternabond Tape. It comes in different colors, widths, and lengths. Do an internet search to get install YouTube’s, places to purchase etc. One caveat, once it’s down it’s not easily removed.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jottohedrick View Post
    How did this hole develop? Low hanging branch, or something else dug into the roof? Or just basically appeared? How it came about may determine the best way to proceed.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 05-14-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S