User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Residental Solar Panels on Your Camper

I have often advocated for using Residential Solar panels on your camper instead of the more common brands like Renogy, Grape, NewPowa, etc.

My main reasons are price (Dollars per Watt) and performance (latest technology, more efficient). Additionally, the Residential panels are usually higher Wattage so you need to install fewer panels.

Recently, on another thread someone asked if there were any drawbacks to using Residential Solar panels versus the aforementioned brands. They also asked about weight and installation complexity.

Here is my response to those questions:

The biggest issue with any Solar panel is: Will it fit on my roof?

I recommend that you make a cardboard cut-out the same size as any prospective Solar panel you intend to install and get up on your roof to see how they fit. You can plan your layout and also determine the max number of panels that will fit.

As far as weight goes, all Solar panels are constructed in the same manner, a glass panel surrounded by an aluminum frame, the internal electronics don't weigh very much at all. Consequently, it makes sense to install the most efficient panels you can find.

I would start my search with the 325 Watt Solar panels, panels around that size are very common and usually bargains can be found. Additionally, I would not rule out the possibility of getting a single panel in the 500 Watt range if that would fit your needs better.

One Note: there are used Solar panels starting to show up on the market and you might be able to find some killer deals in the used market, especially if the facility/warehouse is somewhat near your location.

As far as mounting the Solar panels, since the construction of the panels is similar, I presume the mounting choices are similar as well. I used the "Renogy" "Z" brackets (generic version from Amazon) and screwed them directly into the roof. I did however chose to use 3 pairs of "Z" brackets per panel versus only two. This required me to drill an extra mounting hole in the Solar panel itself, trust me, the pucker factor was high during this operation (be sure to use a wood block behind your drill).

As far as fragility goes, all Solar panels are made with Tempered Glass and they all meet an International hail rating (1 inch Hail stone falling at 50 mph). Solar panels are built pretty tough.

Residential Solar panels also have an advantage when it comes to being the most efficient and having the latest technology. For example: many newer panels have been re-designed to minimize the effects of shading by either (electrically) isolating a portion of the panel (usually these panels look like there are two panels inside one physical unit) or by doubling (or tripling) the number of internal connections. When you are looking into the specs of the panels you are considering, this information will become obvious. For example: the panels I chose, perform 11% better in low irradiance conditions than standard Solar panels, an advantage on cloudy days or when parked under a few trees at a campsite.

The best way to compare Solar panels is to look at the Dollars per Watt and at the efficiency rating of the panels themselves.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I have often advocated for using Residential Solar panels on your camper instead of the more common brands like Renogy, Grape, NewPowa, etc.

My main reasons are price (Dollars per Watt) and performance (latest technology, more efficient). Additionally, the Residential panels are usually higher Wattage so you need to install fewer panels.

Recently, on another thread someone asked if there were any drawbacks to using Residential Solar panels versus the aforementioned brands. They also asked about weight and installation complexity.

Here is my response to those questions:

The biggest issue with any Solar panel is: Will it fit on my roof?

I recommend that you make a cardboard cut-out the same size as any prospective Solar panel you intend to install and get up on your roof to see how they fit. You can plan your layout and also determine the max number of panels that will fit.

As far as weight goes, all Solar panels are constructed in the same manner, a glass panel surrounded by an aluminum frame, the internal electronics don't weigh very much at all. Consequently, it makes sense to install the most efficient panels you can find.

I would start my search with the 325 Watt Solar panels, panels around that size are very common and usually bargains can be found. Additionally, I would not rule out the possibility of getting a single panel in the 500 Watt range if that would fit your needs better.

One Note: there are used Solar panels starting to show up on the market and you might be able to find some killer deals in the used market, especially if the facility/warehouse is somewhat near your location.

As far as mounting the Solar panels, since the construction of the panels is similar, I presume the mounting choices are similar as well. I used the "Renogy" "Z" brackets (generic version from Amazon) and screwed them directly into the roof. I did however chose to use 3 pairs of "Z" brackets per panel versus only two. This required me to drill an extra mounting hole in the Solar panel itself, trust me, the pucker factor was high during this operation (be sure to use a wood block behind your drill).

As far as fragility goes, all Solar panels are made with Tempered Glass and they all meet an International hail rating (1 inch Hail stone falling at 50 mph). Solar panels are built pretty tough.

Residential Solar panels also have an advantage when it comes to being the most efficient and having the latest technology. For example: many newer panels have been re-designed to minimize the effects of shading by either (electrically) isolating a portion of the panel (usually these panels look like there are two panels inside one physical unit) or by doubling (or tripling) the number of internal connections. When you are looking into the specs of the panels you are considering, this information will become obvious. For example: the panels I chose, perform 11% better in low irradiance conditions than standard Solar panels, an advantage on cloudy days or when parked under a few trees at a campsite.

The best way to compare Solar panels is to look at the Dollars per Watt and at the efficiency rating of the panels themselves.
    I will play devils advocate here:
    The advantage of using more/smaller panels is that you do not need as much open space on the roof. It is easier to get more total watts being able to work around all the things in the way on the roof, while leaving a suitable walkway for maintainence, and there is an advantage to having panels distributed fairly evenly across the roof.... You are more likely to get some sun benefit more often. Being as these are moving campers we are talking about, one will probably not always be in a perfect solar situation. Residential panels are larger because they can be. Since the residence doesn't move, the amount of solar will not change due to that, and since there is generally a LOT more unobstructed space on a residence, larger panels make for a faster install. Large panels have no downsides on a residence.

I have a total of 10 panels totalling 1380 watts from the front to the back on my 398M. It works very well.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great counterpoint.

What works well for some, does not mean it works well for everyone. Everyone should look into what they want and ignore the sales hype. Everyone says their products are the best and prove it will their sales pitch. If I lived in a place that does not hail, then having that strength does me no good. Having a smaller trailer that will not allow me to put 4 large residential panels may not work either. I certainly would rather have a smaller panel that I can work around than tripping and falling into a large one.

Smaller panels does not always mean better. I have yet to order my panels, but I have looked into this and it's a lot like playing Tetris. Using large pieces of cardboard seems to be ideal. Spread out the cutouts and see what works best. Maybe less large residential does work better, maybe more smaller panels work better. In the end, if you like doing your own work or maintenance, come up with a lay out that works well for you. More panels means more work, more connectors, more well.... everything. But it just might be a lot less hassle in the end. Remember, installation is only a one time thing. Maintenance is forever.

Again, small panels have their issues too. So, get educated. Research. Understand that all the sites will let you know theirs are better and will spell it out for you. Do any of those 'advantages' really apply to you? By the time you find out what works for you, you should be fairly knowledgeable and if someone says you should have done it this way, you can say "I looked into that and I did not choose that way because of this...."
    Last edited by Butcher; 12-16-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great points made by all.
    That is why these forums are so awesome.
    Thank you!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    If I lives in a place that does not hail, then having that strength does me no good.
    All Solar panels meet the Hail Standards.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Butcher's comment that laying out Solar panels on an RV roof "Is Like Playing Tetris". This is so true. Using cardboard cut-outs the size of your prospective Solar panels to determine the layout of your panels is a really good way to help you decide between the various Solar panel options.

PS: I never meant to say that Residential Solar panels are the only option, just that they should be given serious consideration when choosing which Solar panels to buy.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not think you were but with the internet, there are so many options to research without leaving your keyboard. Many times when people get "ripped off" I find it odd that people made it easy so they could be. Once you're educated enough, even if you do not install them yourself, you can easily see which installer has your best interest in mind. Maybe a flex panel is right for your needs. Maybe large panels, maybe small. I certainly am leading down a path that I hope works for me. I'm reading and watching a lot of installs. I critique everyone I see. When I do start drilling into my roof [yes, screws is the only option for me], I will not be wishing I though of something else. If there is a blame, I will be going to the mirror and yelling at that guy.

Everyone needs to make a living, including business'. Finding a business that wants your money that gives you exactly what you want is a good thing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue with Residential solar panels that I am seeing is the panels just keep getting physically larger (with more wattage) and discontinuing the smaller sizes that many have used for RV's.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    The biggest issue with Residential solar panels that I am seeing is the panels just keep getting physically larger (with more wattage) and discontinuing the smaller sizes that many have used for RV's.
    Yes, Industrial panels in the 500 to 700 Watt range are larger, however, some RVs might be able to take advantage of that size ( I know my 310 GK only had one rooftop vent so there was a lot of room to play with).

That is why I suggested looking at panels in the 325 Watt range, they are usually based on the smaller form factor of 65 x 39 inches.

My panels are 305 Watts and measure 65 x 39 inches. This is how I laid them out, note that I have plenty of room to walk between the panels:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solar Panels Installed (1).jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, Industrial panels in the 500 to 700 Watt range are larger, however, some RVs might be able to take advantage of that size ( I know my 310 GK only had one rooftop vent so there was a lot of room to play with).

That is why I suggested looking at panels in the 325 Watt range, they are usually based on the smaller form factor of 65 x 39 inches.

My panels are 305 Watts and measure 65 x 39 inches. This is how I laid them out, note that I have plenty of room to walk between the panels:
    Unfortunately I have 3 A/C units, two fans, a Winegard 360-thing, TV antenna and the plumbing/attic vents. Looking at <300w panels to fit between AC units and edge which puts me out of residential panels. Possibly can work two residential panels into mix if I can match up the amps specs across all panels for a S/P setup (using factory 10ga and a single controller). Tetris indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast