User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas winterizing? A Newbie

Just bought our first RV. A Grand Design Imagine 3250BH Travel Trailer. I normally wouldn't ask this, but after this last winter down here, I'm a bit concerned. Just picked it up less than a week ago. It's sitting out on our property, about 75 minutes from the house. It's uncovered for now.

With winter hitting us soon, do I need to winterize if I'll be staying in the RV EVERY week to 2 weeks?

There is no power or running water out there. It's only powered by generator when we're there, and fresh water tank filled from 55 gallon barrels. Closest town is 25 miles away.

Just concerned.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say what part of Texas you're in (Amarillo is a LOT different than Mission!), but yes, I would still winterize. The water in the lines and P-traps is what you need to worry about. You can search YouTube for methods for winterizing with an air compressor rather than anti-freeze (though anti-freeze is still needed in the P-traps). An RV cover will not affect whether or not you need to winterize the water system, either.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in central Texas, all i do is open the pressure release valve on the water heater and drain both hot and cold water at the low point drains. Also add anti-freeze to the P-traps and flush the toilet a few times to get water out of the flush valve.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to the above while draining the water lines I will leave all the faucets both hot and cold open. I just leave them open till I use the trailer again.

So far no issues.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last thing. The tanks probably have water in them from the dealer testing to make sure everything works. Best to drain them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kconn23 with a small portable compressor you could just blow out the lines. Whether you use anti-freeze or air, don't forget to drain/blow out the spray ports. Farmer's Almanac says this winter Texas "will be bitter cold."
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God bless Texas, we're down in Jamaica Beach now and loving it. Never thought that I'd say that being a Colorado boy
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    Kconn23 with a small portable compressor you could just blow out the lines. Whether you use anti-freeze or air, don't forget to drain/blow out the spray ports. Farmer's Almanac says this winter Texas "will be bitter cold."
    I'm with Jeff. I use air. Set your regulator to 40-50 psi and blow all the lines out until the air comes out dry...and as mentioned, do NOT forget the spray ports. Most on this forum recommend antifreeze from what I've read. The only thing I can think that it helps is keeping all the seals lubed.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXkmpr View Post
    I'm in central Texas, all i do is open the pressure release valve on the water heater and drain both hot and cold water at the low point drains. Also add anti-freeze to the P-traps and flush the toilet a few times to get water out of the flush valve.
    Same here, just NE of San Antonio. All I do (and did during Snowmageddon) is open the low points and open the faucets. Our RV is stored under a carport (open to the weather) and we had no problems. PEX tubing is VERY forgiving of freezes. Zero problems in our RV but my cast iron pressure pump for the house grenaded and they were within 100' of each other. If I was using mine as often as you are I'd just open the low points and faucets and let it ride.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staying in San Antonio this winter. Considering what happened in February, I’m not taking chances. I have blown the lines with an air compressor and winterized with antifreeze.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast