User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by Kconn23 View Post
    Just bought our first RV. A Grand Design Imagine 3250BH Travel Trailer. I normally wouldn't ask this, but after this last winter down here, I'm a bit concerned. Just picked it up less than a week ago. It's sitting out on our property, about 75 minutes from the house. It's uncovered for now.

With winter hitting us soon, do I need to winterize if I'll be staying in the RV EVERY week to 2 weeks?

There is no power or running water out there. It's only powered by generator when we're there, and fresh water tank filled from 55 gallon barrels. Closest town is 25 miles away.

Just concerned.
    I am in Galveston county and during the big freeze, I had only drained from the low points and left the faucets open. My trailer sits at a storage unit uncovered. The damage I had was my plastic shower head cracked where it was screwed into a stainless hose, and my brass water pressure regulator stored in my wet bay also cracked with no water in it. Up to you how much you want to do but I would think much more is needed.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are 30 minutes north of San Antonio. It did not take long to drain the rig and use air to clear out water lines. We add antifreeze to the p-traps and to the toilet to keep the seal from drying out. An ounce of prevention.....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just do it.

Winterize. I'm in the Hill Country and you can bet there will be at least one cold "snap" in the coming year. You just paid "how much" for your new second home? And you worry about spending 90 minutes and $10 on anti-freeze to protect that investment?
    When I blew out the lines this year, after draining at the last campground and later draining again at my storage location, I still blew out a significant amount of water from every outlet, including a thorough soaking from the washer/dryer lines (that we had never used) and the two outside spray lines.
    Retired US Army, Retired Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2019 F-350 Platinum SRW w/ B&W Companion
    And a great wife….

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2016 Winnebago Ds2106 the last 5 winters here in the DFW area. We store it in a covered storage unit, but it is not airtight for sure. I never "winterized" it to the extent of adding antifreeze. But I do make sure the Gray and Black tanks are drained and also open the faucets when stored. Never had any freezing issues. Now we have a new 2022 Imagine and we may just do the same since it will be parked in the same storage unit and it is easy to drain all the water at the low point drains underneath. If it was going to be below freezing continuously for more than a few days, which is a very rare occasion here, I would probably drain the hot water heater as well. But to each their own.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in South MS, (about 70 miles north of the gulf) and all the winterization I have ever done to our last trailer was open low point drains, drain the tanks and open ALL faucets inside the trailer. I haven't had any problems. The issue we face in MS and in TX alike is not the cold but the prolonged cold. If several nights were going to be well below freezing, with daytime highs around 40, I'd take a small space heater and run inside. We don't leave our trailer connected to shore power when not in use. Antifreeze in the pea traps certainly wouldn't hurt though.
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    2020 Chevy 2500 HD Crew, 6.6L Duramax, Z71, 4X4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12