User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2970RL Gray Tank Overflow

Hey everybody. Have run into an issue with my bathroom gray tank when it runs full, where I get water leaking outside the trailer. Not sure if anybody else has run into this.

Talked to GD the other day and they gave me some ideas. I did remove the coroplast this morning, hoping to find the smoking gun. No such luck, which is good and bad I suppose. After running all the possibilities through my head, I’m going to go with vent line connection or pipe itself. Impossible to validate, as the vent line runs up through a closed wall and you can’t see above the tank, even when underneath. Wasn’t coming from the tank inlet or drain, because you can see those connections through the bedroom drawers and underneath.

Just wondering if anybody else has seen this issue. I’m filing it away as low stress, as I only accidentally overflowed the tank. Just need to be more vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that there is an issue where a drain pipe or vent pipe enters the top of the tank. It could be a problem with a seal at that point. The new fiberoptic scopes that work with your smartphone or their own monitor are great tools for visualizing these areas.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, my black tank would start leaking every Sunday (we were only weekend camping). I could not trace the source. I decided to check the valve and found problem. The waste valve has a rubber ring/gasket on both sides. The tank side rubber ring was not fully seated (thus pinched) between flange and valve body, at the top-most point. That means once the tank filled enough, it put hydraulic pressure on the valve and pushed water thru the very small gap created by pinched gasket. Not so easy to explain, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Hey everybody. Have run into an issue with my bathroom gray tank when it runs full, where I get water leaking outside the trailer. Not sure if anybody else has run into this.

Talked to GD the other day and they gave me some ideas. I did remove the coroplast this morning, hoping to find the smoking gun. No such luck, which is good and bad I suppose. After running all the possibilities through my head, I’m going to go with vent line connection or pipe itself. Impossible to validate, as the vent line runs up through a closed wall and you can’t see above the tank, even when underneath. Wasn’t coming from the tank inlet or drain, because you can see those connections through the bedroom drawers and underneath.

Just wondering if anybody else has seen this issue. I’m filing it away as low stress, as I only accidentally overflowed the tank. Just need to be more vigilant.

2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a intermittent leak that was hard to find. It would leak about every third trip. Turned out to be the connection between the piping and the front gray tank. They are not glued connections, just caulked. The tank had slid forward on the supports about an inch. I put some more caulk on it, slid it back and tightened it up. No more leaks.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had this same problem on two trailers. Seems the waste pipe enters the top of the tank and uses a foam rubber seal. Notorious for this type leak. Don’t know if GD uses such a seal, however. Good reason to avoid overfilling.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    Jim, my black tank would start leaking every Sunday (we were only weekend camping). I could not trace the source. I decided to check the valve and found problem. The waste valve has a rubber ring/gasket on both sides. The tank side rubber ring was not fully seated (thus pinched) between flange and valve body, at the top-most point. That means once the tank filled enough, it put hydraulic pressure on the valve and pushed water thru the very small gap created by pinched gasket. Not so easy to explain, but you get the idea.
    I get exactly what you are saying. I was thinking maybe even a crack that would only open under the pressure of a full tank. Taking my lesson to never let the tank get full and put this one in the rear view mirror. Hope it stays there.

Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Have had this same problem on two trailers. Seems the waste pipe enters the top of the tank and uses a foam rubber seal. Notorious for this type leak. Don’t know if GD uses such a seal, however. Good reason to avoid overfilling.
    Never overfilling again!

Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my grey tank fills up it overflows through the shower drain.
    Harry C
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2015 F350
    Formerly: Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryc View Post
    That means the seals on the top of your tank are good.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryc View Post
    This is also when we know our gray tanks are full...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast