User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat leaf springs?

Hi all, new to the group but this is our 5th camper. Got a 2018 328M last year and so far it’s been awesome. Only complaint is some occasional sway. The trailer rides a bit nose up; using a 2016 Ram 2500 CCLB with the air suspension at the Alt Trailer height, and a PullRite Superglide on the factory puck system. Can’t lower the front of the camper any so I was thinking of raising the rear. Read previous threads here about the concern with topping 13’6” so that gives me pause.

Anyway, while checking the axle configuration to see if I could use an over-under kit I noticed the leafs don’t have much arch to them. And this is with the jacks down and camper leveled; so the axles aren’t fully loaded. I have my suspicions but wanted to get some more experienced eyes on this before I draw any conclusions.

Also, IF they are flat, what are some recommendations for replacement and/or upgrades? TIA!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	38213

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2067.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	38214

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 351 the kitchen side is 500lbs heavier from the factory. The springs on that side were very flat and sit 1/2 lower on that side. Dexter suggested that I run 4000lb on kitchen side and leave the 3500lb on the other side. I also added sumo springs. The 4000lb's still have good arch after 5000 miles. It pulls good but with the higher capacity and extra leaf on the 4000lb now kitchen side set's about 1/2" higher. I was going to add a spacer on other side to level it but now have decided to put 4000lb on other side. I figure those will be flat after another year. Overall the 4000lb springs and sumo's raised it about 3/4 to 1 In. The Sumo springs help settle the trailer down after bumps. Well worth the money. Dexter 4000lb spring #072-079-00 They are more that double the price of 3500's. Around $125.00 ea.
    Last edited by Cannon07; 12-20-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a frequent topic on the forum (and has been for a long time). Using the search function came up with these threads:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...401#post321401

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...180#post226180

There are more.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I’m familiar with the search function and have read those threads as well as others. What I didn’t see, and what prompted this post, was a lack of Momentum-specific cases, pictures, and solutions (only saw one referenced). No I’m not discounting the relevance of some of the Imagine rigs with tandem axles. Just thought I’d look for more relevant experiences if there are any.

When I get a chance, after this “atmospheric river” is done dumping on the west coast, I’ll load the suspension and measure the arcs. Don’t think I’ll have time to weigh the left/right sides but have never seen any side-to-side imbalances since I’ve had it. So I suspect I’ll be upgrading both sides. Need to do more research on the MORyde shackles/wet bolt kit as well. I’d like to do a disc upgrade too but that might be too much at this time.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 399 had flat springs after about 2 years. I replaced the springs with new ones from Dexter and I ditched the LCI equalizers for Morryde CRE3000 with HD shackles and wetbolts. About 2 years later the springs were starting to go flat again. I did travel almost right at the trailer GVWR. I looked for american made springs, but at the time couldn't find any; I imagine the chinese made springs contributed to the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only upgrade route you have is to run 4,000# packs or go with custom-made springs. There is nothing in the leaf width out there off-the-shelf with more arch or higher capacity. Custom springs are going to take forever in the era of the pandemic, and there are only a small number of spring shops that will truly make them and not order you something from a catalog and call it "custom" or assemble catalog leaves into a stack. Nothing wrong with the latter if the right dimensions of leaves were available to do it right - they are not, I already exhausted that route because I cannot get a custom set till next year with the enormous shortage of the proper steel to make them.

Yes, your springs are relaxing. Consider adding a shock kit to dampen the bumps and slow the relaxation. You may want to upgrade to a better equalizer as well why everything is apart. Heavy duty shackle kit too since you'll need new wet bolts and bushings for a swap. FYI - your M-Class has no different suspension than a Solitude of the same GVW.

A little nose-high with an equalizer in the suspension is no big deal, but your critical height will be at the front end - effectively the top forward air condition to ground. Very likely you could come up a bit at the suspension if you have custom springs made.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Just the info I was looking for. I’ve got the MORyde CRE3000, cross member, wet bolt and shackle kit coming along with replacement 7000# springs.

I thought about getting SumoSprings but with the reports of a rougher ride and dishes falling in cabinets decided not to. Definitely considering the Roadmaster shocks though. I’ll see how the ride is with these upgrades first, then add shocks if I need to. Don’t wont to do too much in case I decide later to go with the 8000# axle upgrade.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_BANE View Post
    Thanks! Just the info I was looking for. I’ve got the MORyde CRE3000, cross member, wet bolt and shackle kit coming along with replacement 7000# springs.

I thought about getting SumoSprings but with the reports of a rougher ride and dishes falling in cabinets decided not to. Definitely considering the Roadmaster shocks though. I’ll see how the ride is with these upgrades first, then add shocks if I need to. Don’t wont to do too much in case I decide later to go with the 8000# axle upgrade.

You will notice quite a difference with the CRE3000. I certainly did! The Roadmaster shocks are one of the best upgrades I did, but you are right in deciding first as they don't have a kit for 8Ks.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got everything installed tonight. Big trip on crappy CA roads this weekend; we’ll see how the ride improves. Measured about 2-3/8” arch on the right (main slide side) and 1-3/4” on the left (fridge and bathroom side). So not terrible. But since I was changing everything else out, I went ahead and installed the new springs, same 3500# as stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast