User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Bend trip April 2022

Looking for Big Bend campground recommendations. Full hookup preferred. Electric and water bare necessity. Pulling a 5'er listed below.

Thanks,
    Duthchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman2 View Post
    Looking for Big Bend campground recommendations. Full hookup preferred. Electric and water bare necessity. Pulling a 5'er listed below.

Thanks,
    Duthchman2
    Jim Patricia,
    Search the Terlingua, Study Butte Texas area, there are some 3 and 4 star campgrounds there with full hook ups. Also there is one in Lajitas Texas, right on the border, US side. Even though we lived in Texas over 20 years we never got down there so we have no first hand recommendations, sorry. Fuel will also be scarce, limited options for fuel.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-21-2021 at 05:55 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maverick RV resort in Lajitas. Full hookups with a clubhouse and pool. It is about 20 minutes to the west entrance of Big Bend National Park.

https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/mo..._maverickranch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've stayed at Big Bend Resort in Study Butte. Spaces were fairly level and it wasn't crowded. Gas and a small store right by the road is convenient. Campground is only 5 minutes from Big Bend gate and was the closest the last time we went.

We've also stayed at Rio Grande Village which was OK. We had a smaller TT at the time, you'd need to verify your length will fit and there aren't a lot of spots. It's a pretty good drive to the majority of the park and more popular trails.

Several options towards Terlingua, but we haven't stayed at any of them. Most of them are newer and all seem to be similarly sparse (it IS the desert).

Maverick RV park mentioned above is the nicest of them but adds about 30 minutes drive time. If you plan to visit Big Bend State Park or like golfing, Maverick is perfect.

Make sure you hit the hot springs!

eta: FYI it's pronounced Stoody Butte, if you want to sound like a local. There are several dining options in Terlingua and Study Butte, Starlight Theater has the most diverse menu (fair amount of game meat) but is also MOST popular. Get there EARLY, they only take reservations for groups over 10 and it's EXTREMELY popular. High Sierra was also good and fairly popular. Usually easier to get into than Starlight. Rio Bravo had pretty good Mexican food too.
    Last edited by txarsoncop; 12-21-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: more info on Terlingua
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Terlingua is the area to stay in (or at least on that side of the park). Be prepare for long drives into and through the park where ever you stay.

I would never stay in Big Bend Resorts and Adventures again. There are better choices and places that have better water.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going to be at Paisano Village RV Park & Inn in March - pretty good reviews on campgrounds.rvlife.com
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually just booked a spot at Roadrunners Travelers RV Park for after Christmas 2022 and my dad ended up booking at Roadrunner also. We looked at Paisano Village, but I have a brother staying across the street at Far Flung Outdoors and another at Basecamp Terlingua so we went with Roadrunner.
    bill

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on Maverick Ranch RV park? Both parks listed above look to be good options as well. Looking to go off-season in early May.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned Maverick in my first post. Nicest of the bunch. For a trip in May the pool would be nice. Only downside is it adds 20 to 30 minutes driving to the BBNP gate, it is very close to BB State Park though. There aren't a lot of trails you can access from the Lajitas area but a nice park. Slot Canyon is definitely worth the hike.
    bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have reservations in Feb. at Paisano for a week to be close to the park then moving to Maverick for a few days to play their golf course. Ill try to remember to report back on my observations. Looking forward to the trip as it's blowing and snowing at this moment.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast