User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PDI and purchase schedule?

Well, maybe my bubble burst - or not. Which comes first - purchase or PDI and does it vary by dealership? Dealership informs me that they don't perform a PDI until there is an owner. Talked with Grand Design twice today and the first rep said that the dealership 'should' perform a PDI when unit arrives. The second rep said that GD would not reimburse a dealer warranty claim without an owner (though he wants to confirm that).

When my son bought his Imagine, the PDI was done on arrival before he looked at it (it was not an order unlike ours). Same was true with our TT from the current dealer we are working with - the policy changed about 5 years ago so they say.

Just curious what others have experienced.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Well, maybe my bubble burst - or not. Which comes first - purchase or PDI and does it vary by dealership? Dealership informs me that they don't perform a PDI until there is an owner. Talked with Grand Design twice today and the first rep said that the dealership 'should' perform a PDI when unit arrives. The second rep said that GD would not reimburse a dealer warranty claim without an owner (though he wants to confirm that).

When my son bought his Imagine, the PDI was done on arrival before he looked at it (it was not an order unlike ours). Same was true with our TT from the current dealer we are working with - the policy changed about 5 years ago so they say.

Just curious what others have experienced.
    The PDI is before you pay. Always. Some dealers will perform their version of a PDI, but you always want to do your own.

EDIT: To explain further, the PDI is so you, the buyer, know that everything works and is a good shape. It is BEFORE you had the check over to the dealership, or individual. You do this so you have leverage with the dealership too fix any issues you might find.

I sent the PDI checklist to Northgate RV before we went to pick it up so they knew what I was going to be going through. We had two small issues that they took care of before we went in and sat down with the selling agent.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 12-21-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    The PDI is before you pay. Always. Some dealers will perform their version of a PDI, but you always want to do your own.

EDIT: To explain further, the PDI is so you, the buyer, know that everything works and is a good shape. It is BEFORE you had the check over to the dealership, or individual. You do this so you have leverage with the dealership too fix any issues you might find.

I sent the PDI checklist to Northgate RV before we went to pick it up so they knew what I was going to be going through. We had two small issues that they took care of before we went in and sat down with the selling agent.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

It makes sense, but the dealer is unwilling. Too many already sold and being prepped in the shop, snow and ice outside, teens and 20s, no electric, propane, water, batteries unless I purchase it first. Quite a difference between Northgate and the place I ordered from. The salesman told me, if I don't want it, he won't have any problem selling it to someone else.

I do intend on discussing with the management team if they are willing but I'm not optimistic as they could probably sell it for more since the last rounds of price increases.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense, but the dealer is unwilling. Too many already sold and being prepped in the shop, snow and ice outside, teens and 20s, no electric, propane, water, batteries unless I purchase it first. Quite a difference between Northgate and the place I ordered from. The salesman told me, if I don't want it, he won't have any problem selling it to someone else.

I do intend on discussing with the management team if they are willing but I'm not optimistic as they could probably sell it for more since the last rounds of price increases.
    Hopefully you haven't put much money down on it. Me, personally, I would walk away right now. If the dealer isn't willing to let you do your own inspection, what do they have to hide? It would be like buying a car and the dealer not allowing you to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Hopefully you haven't put much money down on it. Me, personally, I would walk away right now. If the dealer isn't willing to let you do your own inspection, what do they have to hide? It would be like buying a car and the dealer not allowing you to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out.

Minimal down so no big loss other than 23% off August MSRP. I don't think they are hiding anything - it's a big dealership conglomerate (Campers Inn) and their inventory is overflowing - every time I go there all their bays are filled prepping newly sold units. Folks I know that have bought from them (including me once before) haven't been unhappy with the delivered product. It's just rubbing me the wrong way. I should have pressed it when I ordered.
    Last edited by ajg617; 12-21-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimal down so no big loss other than 23% off August MSRP. I don't think they are hiding anything - it's a big dealership conglomerate (Campers Inn) and their inventory is overflowing - every time I go there all their bays are filled prepping newly sold units. Folks I know that have bought from them (including me once before) haven't been unhappy with the delivered product. It's just rubbing me the wrong way. I should have pressed it when I ordered.
    Honestly, it's your choice. I don't think I'm the only one that would advise you to for a PDI before you sign and put money down.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, dealers are getting away with murder. Downright abusing the circumstances with the demand. My guess is you are not financing through dealer arranged financing, which detracts any possible motivation.

I can only share exactly what I would do having bought the majority of our RVs new and having intimate familiarity with their construction, how they are delivered, how they have been cobbled together through the unprecedented pandemic demand, and the utterly lousy dealer experience and inept service technicians... Your deposit should have been agreed refundable based on your acceptance - I have never done it otherwise. You are not getting a proper PRE-DELIVERY inspection, and didn't agree on purchase sight unseen. Thus, I would want my deposit check cut and I would walk, and I would file a factual complaint with the BBB. Just have dates,, times,, conversations documented for when they finally follow-up. That way a factual blemish will help other buyers steer clear of unscrupulous behavior as you are facing! The treatment already shows you the dealer experience you are in for. Look at it this way, what car dealer doesn't allow you to have a test drive and check out the car before you sign on the line? What house can you not inspect before buying? If GD cannot get a dealer to give you fair due, that also shows you they have no influence at all with that dealer and that should be a roadmap of how warranty work through the dealer will go for you.

I am truly disgusted for you and disgusted with the entirety of dealer experience that I have personally experienced the degradation of with each new RV we have bought... Conversely, we have had incredible problems with our Solitude, but once I navigated through GD to right folks they have worked hard to make things right.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally agree it's better to perform a PDI before signing and sending the money, however that was not possible for us because we happened to be overseas when the toy hauler was delivered, and agreed to sign and pay beforehand. Our own inspector went to perform a PDI which came back with a couple minor issues that were addressed prior to picking up the rig. Maybe we just got lucky, but we generally had a good experience with the dealership.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Frankly, dealers are getting away with murder. Downright abusing the circumstances with the demand. My guess is you are not financing through dealer arranged financing, which detracts any possible motivation.

Your deposit should have been agreed refundable based on your acceptance - I have never done it otherwise. You are not getting a proper PRE-DELIVERY inspection, and didn't agree on purchase sight unseen. Thus, I would want my deposit check cut and I would walk,
    $500 deposit is refundable and financing through the dealer is still on the table (deliberately to give me a smidge of leverage maybe) - discussing with finance Thursday but I do have other options available.

My initial gut reaction is also to walk. But, the next closest dealer won't even order the same unit without a $10K non-refundable deposit, and I'd likely get the same quality regardless of where I ordered it from and at a higher price.

I am also trying to work my way through GD, not that they can help necessarily, but they do have my name pinned to this Solitude.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in agreement with the others. The PDI is there to help you make the final assessment of yea or ne. This ensures everything works properly, no gross failures, and all systems that are promised are there and in good shape. I think the dealer is using tactics to make you buy without a complete inspection to make a sale.

If you don’t do a PDI, take it home and realize, oops, fridge doesn’t work, out there is a water leak, what do you do then? The PDI protects you.

If the dealer doesn’t want to do it, hire a mobile tech to look it over before you sign. Is the dealer won’t do that, walk, it’s that simple.

Hoping this works out for you and is it does, congrats [emoji323]!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast