User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I never "assume" anything. I have however done a lot of looking under the hood of different manufacturers before plunking down my cash...While it is true that Lippert makes the Momentum frames, they are noticeabley stronger than the other mass produced units. Case in point, GD states that the entire carrying capacity payload can be loaded in the garage.... The others all state a lower garage weight limit that is less than the total payload CC. That means a stronger frame for GD.
    But as I alluded the pin box is the limiting factor anyway, so I am not advocating exceeding that.... And the important thing in my eyes was the better brakes the 8K axles have
    The Mo frames are Lippert designs, which is what I was driving at. The frames Lippert builds for Luxe are totally the design of Luxe, and Luxe actually inspects them (visual only though) when they come in. As for brakes, that's Dexter running gear, unless the pandemic has caused GD to revert. The only differences are stud size and much heavier outer bearing, but I get what you are saying as GD is only offering discs on 8K package. I put 8K discs on my 7K Dexter axles aftermarket just for the peace of mind of those bearings...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The Mo frames are Lippert designs, which is what I was driving at. The frames Lippert builds for Luxe are totally the design of Luxe, and Luxe actually inspects them (visual only though) when they come in. As for brakes, that's Dexter running gear, unless the pandemic has caused GD to revert. The only differences are stud size and much heavier outer bearing, but I get what you are saying as GD is only offering discs on 8K package. I put 8K discs on my 7K Dexter axles aftermarket just for the peace of mind of those bearings...
    I looked hard at the Luxe.I Particularly their frames. If their garage was bigger, I would have bought one..... But I do not believe there is much difference in the frames between the two. At least not as much as there is between the Momentums and the rest of the mass produced THs. My 398M has 4600# of CC, and GD states I could load it all in the garage. The other mass produced units have a weight limitation for garage loading. I never saw any statement from Luxe on the issue. A garage limitation of 2000,3000# etc. to me means a weaker frame.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My curiosity on the subject comes down to cargo carrying capacity. My 350G is at capacity (axles and GVWR) with 2 Harleys in the garage, and only 18% weight on the pin after moving everything else as far forward as possible. When I upgrade to a triple axle fiver (397TH if I go with GDRV) I am hoping for a lot more wiggle room. The CCC (GVWR - UVW) for a 350G with 7k axles is 3,850 lbs, and a 397TH with 8k axles is 4,750 lbs, however that extra 900 lbs will go quick with just a few additional options.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 F250 6.7 Powerstroke HCTP
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With our 397th we carry one RZR and two quad in the garage. Axle weight is 16K and hitch weight is 6K. Gross weight is 22K. That is with 150 gals of water. Don't see where 8K axles would gain me anything.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Supremo View Post
    My curiosity on the subject comes down to cargo carrying capacity. My 350G is at capacity (axles and GVWR) with 2 Harleys in the garage, and only 18% weight on the pin after moving everything else as far forward as possible. When I upgrade to a triple axle fiver (397TH if I go with GDRV) I am hoping for a lot more wiggle room. The CCC (GVWR - UVW) for a 350G with 7k axles is 3,850 lbs, and a 397TH with 8k axles is 4,750 lbs, however that extra 900 lbs will go quick with just a few additional options.
    Keep in mind the mass producers target the majority use. In doing so, they keep their 5er offerings within the capabilities of tow vehicles. Definitely not perfect in that regard, but there is conscious attempt and it is why you find GVW where they are on the heavy end. The boutique builders have way more flexibility in this regard with SpaceCraft with the absolute highest I have seen since they are geared toward HDTs. Luxe was willing to do a lot of customization as well since their suspensions are MORryde, at least when we were at the factory just when COVID-19 took hold in the US.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanshee View Post
    With our 397th we carry one RZR and two quad in the garage. Axle weight is 16K and hitch weight is 6K. Gross weight is 22K. That is with 150 gals of water. Don't see where 8K axles would gain me anything.
    6k on the hitch? That seems like an awful lot, even with 1,200 lbs of water! Looks like your TV can handle it.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Keep in mind the mass producers target the majority use. In doing so, they keep their 5er offerings within the capabilities of tow vehicles. Definitely not perfect in that regard, but there is conscious attempt and it is why you find GVW where they are on the heavy end. The boutique builders have way more flexibility in this regard with SpaceCraft with the absolute highest I have seen since they are geared toward HDTs. Luxe was willing to do a lot of customization as well since their suspensions are MORryde, at least when we were at the factory just when COVID-19 took hold in the US.
    This seems plausible, and more inline with the paper de-rate you see on some trucks. More a matter of keeping the GVWR/GCWR within legal limits for road and tax purposes. After all, if 4K is on the hitch and the UVW is around 17k fully optioned, that’s only 13k on the axles. Add 2k for the Harleys and you’re still only at 15k, well below the real-world capacity of 7k or 8k axles.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12