Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fully Loaded 382WB-R vs Goosebox 20k

Hello GDRVer's,

I'm within a month or two of receiving a maxed out 382WB-R and am really leaning toward a Goosebox 20k, just so I don't have to unload a Companion in order to pull a cattle trailer. I do have concerns about the 4000 lb pin weight limit though.

For reference, GDRV publishes a base model, dry pin weight of 3052 lbs. But once you add in all of the build options plus 300lbs for a generator, 110lbs for propane, 450lbs for batteries/victron/cable, and with the majority of the weight distributed toward the front of the rig (estimate 65-70% to the pin, 30-35% to the axles), we're still under the Goosebox 4000 lb limit.

However, if I'm wanting to do some extended dry camping and travel with more fresh water than usual, it's possible to blow past the Goosebox 4k limit. So I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions even though I know we're really shooting in the dark due to currently unknown variables such as cargo weight aft of the axles. If anyone has a 380FL/382WB with added options & cargo, I'd love some empirical weight & balance data. Finally, without fully triggering the weight police, what scenarios are to be had by slightly overloading the pin on a Goosebox? As an engineer, I'm sure they're more concerned about elevated dynamic load blowing an airbag or shock absorber than total catastrophic hitch failure.

Thanks much,
    Matt
    Matt & Danielle
    2022 F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
    2022 Solitude 382WB-R, 8k Morryde IS/Disc, DPW, FBP, 5.5kw Onan, 1kAh BB, Victron MPii 2x120
    Engineer, Cattle Rancher/Grass Farmer, Aviator

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to check with GD on your model, but on most of the Solitudes, the fresh water tank is over the axles, so that shouldn't affect the pin weight. You will, however, be pushing the 4,000K limit for the GooseBox - especially with the 8K axle upgrade (I think that's what you meant in your signature instead of 18K?) and increased CCC. Most 5th wheel hitches come apart in one way or another to make it easier to remove from/replace in the bed... still not as quick and easy as the GooseBox would be, though. With my PullRite OE series, the head comes off of the base and four twist-lock anchor pins hold the base in the pucks. Mine stays in the bed, but it would probably take me 15 minutes either direction to get it in and out. If you have a barn or a shop, a lot of people just rig a hoist and lift the hitch out of the truck and leave it hanging for storage. That way, you just have the four anchor pins to deal with... and no strain on your back.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio1791 View Post
    Hello GDRVer's,

I'm within a month or two of receiving a maxed out 382WB-R and am really leaning toward a Goosebox 20k, just so I don't have to unload a Companion in order to pull a cattle trailer. I do have concerns about the 4000 lb pin weight limit though.

For reference, GDRV publishes a base model, dry pin weight of 3052 lbs. But once you add in all of the build options plus 300lbs for a generator, 110lbs for propane, 450lbs for batteries/victron/cable, and with the majority of the weight distributed toward the front of the rig (estimate 65-70% to the pin, 30-35% to the axles), we're still under the Goosebox 4000 lb limit.

However, if I'm wanting to do some extended dry camping and travel with more fresh water than usual, it's possible to blow past the Goosebox 4k limit. So I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions even though I know we're really shooting in the dark due to currently unknown variables such as cargo weight aft of the axles. If anyone has a 380FL/382WB with added options & cargo, I'd love some empirical weight & balance data. Finally, without fully triggering the weight police, what scenarios are to be had by slightly overloading the pin on a Goosebox? As an engineer, I'm sure they're more concerned about elevated dynamic load blowing an airbag or shock absorber than total catastrophic hitch failure.

Thanks much,
    Matt
    Take a look at the Gen-Y Gooseneck hitch. It has a higher pin weight rating. Genyhitch.com.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a long bed, the Gen-Y would be my hitch. Looked at the Reese, and it looks like a great hitch, but I am not interested in the air bag. The Gen-Y is rated to 25K lb trailer, and 6.5K pin. This is the web page for it: https://genyhitch.com/product-catego...-torsion-flex/
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles