User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sealant turning to dust on top front cap

So, I cleaned off the bugs from the front of the RV a couple weeks back (light dawn soap and warm water only), and that included wiping down the sealant on the top of the front cap attaching it to the roof. Today I went to clean off some debris and noticed white chalky powder coming from the seal area. I touched the sealant and it dusted my fingers like I just ran it down a chalk board.

Did I just screw up majorly, or why is it doing this and what can/should I do about it?
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While a chalky, powdery residue is common with the lap sealant and roofing materials, dishwashing detergents are not recommended for use on RVs. They are designed to cut grease and can strip away protective coatings such as wax, etc. That said, with one-time use, I doubt you "screwed up majorly." In the future, use mild car wash products on the roof. Wash Wax All is great for the rest of the RV. There should be a section in your GD manual on roof care (you can download a PDF copy from the GD web site - very handy!).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rob. I appreciate the info and putting my mind at ease as the rain starts in 1h.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateritter View Post
    So, I cleaned off the bugs from the front of the RV a couple weeks back (light dawn soap and warm water only), and that included wiping down the sealant on the top of the front cap attaching it to the roof. Today I went to clean off some debris and noticed white chalky powder coming from the seal area. I touched the sealant and it dusted my fingers like I just ran it down a chalk board.

Did I just screw up majorly, or why is it doing this and what can/should I do about it?
    You should have an Alpha Systems roof. Check out these links.

https://alphallc.us/product-care/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=it2ZIKs821k

If your sealant is chalking you probably want to look into it more. My sealant collects a lot of dirt but cleans up pretty good with soap and water but does not chalk. Wash it good then watch it to see if it chalks.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 12-24-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually