Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer dog legging

Hello, my issues with my 22 Solitude 390rkr continue.

This thing is noticeably dog legging down the road. I thought I noticed it when following my husband home from the dealer, but he didn't mention anything (pulled with 20 F350 dually). A couple months later, he brought it home from our seasonal site with his 14 F350 SRW and noticed it more. Now we have a 22 F450 dually that we just hooked up to ahead of a long road trip, and he can only see one side of the trailer, it off tracks that much to the right.

We are supposed to be leaving for a thousand mile trip in a couple of weeks, zero chance the dealer will help us. Any ideas on how we can make this thing more pleasant to pull?
    Last edited by banshee; 12-28-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Hello, my issues with my 22 Solitude 390rkr continue.

This thing is noticeably dog legging down the road. I thought I noticed it when following my husband home from the dealer, but he didn't mention anything (pulled with 20 F350 dually). A couple months later, he brought it home from our seasonal site with his 14 F350 SRW and noticed it more. Now we have a 22 F450 dually that we just hooked up to ahead of a long road trip, and he can only see one side of the trailer, it off tracks that much to the right.

We are supposed to be leaving for a thousand mile trip in a couple of weeks, zero chance the dealer will help us. Any ideas on how we can make this thing more pleasant to pull?
    If you can't get in for the dealer to help you, you may want to find a truck alignment shop and get them to have a look at it to see if it is an alignment issue or something more. If it is only alignment then they should be able to fix it but if it is something more it gives you an understanding and informationt to take to the dealer and Grand Design. You may also want to call GD customer service and see if they would pay for a mobile tech to come and look at it. You would likely have to pay for the service call though.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the axles have an alignment issue. Have you checked the tire wear for any abnormal tread wear? I suspect if you keep it at a seasonal site, you might not have enough miles to really see much on the tire wear.

Another quick check is if you have a long straight edge (needs to be long enough to cover both wheels) and place it against the tires on the ground. The straight edge should be parallel to the trailer while touching both tires (check both sides). This is just a rough check of alignment, actual measurements would be necessary to really understand if there is an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others on checking axle alignment. We had this issue with our 2016 Reflection 337. An accurate way to measure whether or not the axles are perpendicular to the centerline of the frame (if you don't have a Hunter laser alignment system, of course) is to use a plumb line to determine the point on the ground directly below the kingpin. Put a marker there and measure from that point to the end of the spindles on both sides of both axles. If the distance is greater to one side of an axle than the other, the axles are not square with the frame. If they are not, it's likely that the placement of the spring hangers on the frame is not accurate, a locating pin on an axle has sheared, or there is some other related problem. The problem with 19th century suspension technology is that it is not truly adjustable, unfortunately.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015