User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best water supply hose?

We usually just use it for filling rather than hooking up, but recommendations would be appreciated. With thanks
    2021 Reflection 28BH Fifth Wheel
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really like the flexzilla hoses, they make a potable water version for drinking water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Best" in what terms?
    Back in my foodservice days, it HAD to have certifications from the National Sanitary Foundation (NSF) - a third party testing organization that ensured it complied with all standards to be free of hazardous materials (plasticizers transferring to the water, lead from the fittings, etc.) If it didn't have the NSF seal and could be found in their listing of products, I couldn't use it. Many companies either say they comply, or just say they are safe, with no verification.

A couple of years ago, I used the "Zero-G" drinking water safe (so they say) hoses. They are not certified, and do not claim to be. They stood up very well over a few years, and folded up into a very small bundle. BUT, after seeing "chunks" come out into a pail, I cut them open to find the inside was completely coated with a thick layer of mold. I would never use a collapsing hose again.

My decade old white cheap Camco was sacrificed, and was clean as a whistle inside. The white Camco's do say they comply with NSF standards, but it is unclear whether they actually have been certified. But, they get stiff in colder weather and can kink. The ends are rolled instead of cut, and some can leak/not screw on well. Luck of the draw with any particular one. I wouldn't count on them being a forever hose, but are cheap.

I currently have this: https://www.camco.net/hoses/camco-ev...ter-hose-22594. Very well made ends. Very flexible, even in cold weather, and does not kink. Stores well, better then their white version, but not near as well as the Zero-G. They make no claims about NSF at all for it though. Just say it is drinking water safe. Haven't cut one open yet, to see if there is anything growing in it. They also make a version with a braided outer layer, that should be tougher - have not seen it though, so can't say what else may be different.
    Last edited by sande005; 12-28-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thank you for so much information and you’re right I didn’t really clarify my post at all.
    I had a Camco one a white one for many years and last year started tasting a very plasticky taste when I filled up my water tanks so one trip I tried using my brothers brand new hose and the plastic taste went away completely. Was just looking at options as I look to replace mine . Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey28bh View Post
    We usually just use it for filling rather than hooking up, but recommendations would be appreciated. With thanks
    I like this one, it is hard to kink it. Teknor Apex 8602-25 NeverKink RV/Marine Hose - 5/8" x 25'. We full time and I consider a rv water hose as a consumable and replace it every 18 months. As Sande005 said rv hoses will grow stuff in them. I have had what looks like mold, red alge, green alge growing in them.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to burst the bubble, but I have a number of products bearing NSF and it really is not rigorous to obtain. In fact, the manufacturer provides 100% of the substantiation and the fee. Does not even require independent testing any more. For drinking water standards, it really boils down to what can leach out of the hose material and fitting material. Mold and mildew are not considerations. In food and beverage, line cleansing is required by State health standards. You home is actually up to the homeowner and not an issue with copper, PEX, PP, but the icemaker or coffeemaker line could be because they don't have to meet the other standards...

Way more than needed, and we actually do not drink water from any campground for certain health reasons. However, best life I have gotten from freshwater hoses are the Teknor Apex - stand up to sanitation too. I did replace our long one last year with a Flexzilla, because it winds easily on a reel. Unfortunately, it is no different than there garden hoses and the outer jacket will get nasty with black mold! Just two weeks in TN weather last year and it looks disgusting. Water out of it tests fine, but Nikki isn't getting over the look so it will be just another garden hose for us come Spring and back to cooking Apex into 5 gallon bucket for storage.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    ...I currently have this: https://www.camco.net/hoses/camco-ev...ter-hose-22594. Very well made ends. Very flexible, even in cold weather, and does not kink. Stores well, better then their white version, but not near as well as the Zero-G. They make no claims about NSF at all for it though. Just say it is drinking water safe. Haven't cut one open yet, to see if there is anything growing in it. They also make a version with a braided outer layer, that should be tougher - have not seen it though, so can't say what else may be different.
    We use this hose as well, for a couple years now, and have been happy with them.

Only issue I've encountered is when connecting a Camco blue water filter. They always leak. Seems the hose connectors may be a hair too short for the filters. If I use the short spring-reinforced hose that typically comes with the filter in between the hose and filter...problem solved.
    John & Susan
    2019 F-250 SuperDuty CCSB
    2022 Reflection 297RSTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the blue non-kink hoses over the white ones, a bit thicker, harder to handle, but doesn't kink as bad. I also replace my hose each year. I know, a little phobic, but they aren't very expensive. I also wrap my hose with heat tape in the winter, that tends to make them break down faster.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the PIRIT in the wintertime and the blue ones the rest of the time. I have a water softener and I put the filter on the softener and flush out the hoses when I sanitize the fresh water tanks. .I also utilize a four stage filter for our drinking water and ice maker.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using the white Camco. It does kink when cold and a PITA to put away when cold. But after reading and seeing what the other options were I decided to keep it until it breaks.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast