User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing on snow pack

So I am at the Grand Canyon tonight (Trailer Village). Drove down from Zion today, was some threats of snow there and was thinking a couple hundred miles south would be better. Weather.com said all rain at Grand Canyon, they were very wrong. I also neglected to check the elevation, if I had known the south rim was over 7000 ft I probably would have picked a different stop.

So driving in from the east all of the sudden it is snowing. Then the next thing is it is sticking to the road. Before I knew it was running on snow pack. I knew to slow down, drop my trailer brake gain and use four wheel drive and slippery mode on the transmission.

Then I came around a bend and a Toyota 4 runner was in the middle of the road attempting to turn around. I was going maybe 25 mph and shut it down well away from him but ended up on the shoulder. He saw this and backed down the road and when he got up next to me managed to slide right into the side of my truck.

Damage to the side of the truck is mostly scratches, maybe a dent. I drove on maybe 20 miles to the RV park without incident and was probably running in at least 6 inches of snow when navigating the park. The truck does dig a little to get going but I guess the biggest thing I felt was the trailer sliding around. Truck has factory all terrains and trailer has factory Goodyear Endurance.

So my question is does anyone run tire chains on their truck and on the 5th wheel trailer? I think the best setup would be front and rear on the truck and at least one axle on the trailer. But my experience maybe 25 years ago with tire chains is they shake and vibrate the crap out of everything. I am wondering if more aggressive tires on the truck would be better and possibly a snow tire rated trailer tire?

Also thinking of just staying here until the roads are at least slush.
    Last edited by timkoenig; 12-28-2021 at 10:52 PM.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing on snow pack

Such an unfortunate set of circumstances, so sorry that happened! First, I have never towed my rig in the snow, however, grew up in that kind of weather. I feel that a more aggressive snow tire most definitely would have aided in better traction, chains even better. Would not run chains on the rig even though you have the room, just think of the damage that could be done if they came undone. Chains come undone all the time.

I agree with you if you have the ability to wait it out, definitely do so.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @timkoenig

I'd wait it out until the roads are cleared and salted... I wouldn't want to risk more damage to my truck or RV using chains. I only ever had to pull my previous TT, a 30' Keystone Passport on snow and slush once after getting a surprise 8" of wet snow tailgating at an Eagles game. It wasn't fun and I had to travel at around 15mph for about 35 miles back to where I worked to park for the night. It sure was nerve wracking to say the least.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 12-29-2021 at 04:46 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything about cold weather camping is HARD. And that includes the towing part. That is why few people do it. It is just work to survive. I have done it quite a bit, as my RV is shelter for my outdoor activities, which often are in places and dates that do not change on account of bad weather.
    I actually like the fact that most everyone else is gone.
    As for the OP, You are in AZ, snow rarely lasts long here, so waiting it out is probably best for you, if you can.
    Yes chains will work.. The more of your rigs tires you install them on the better. At a minimum do one axle on the TT, And I recommend all tires of the TV....Many only do the rears..... But I think that steering is important too. When towing with chains, keep the speed WAY down the slower the better.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I am wondering if more aggressive tires on the truck would be better and possibly a snow tire rated trailer tire?
    Also thinking of just staying here until the roads are at least slush.
    Been there done that, had to replace some fenders on my 5th wheel when a cable broke on the trailer chains. I travel to ski resorts. I put the chains on my front wheels of my 4x4, getting chains on the duallies is a real pain in the slush and snow. But that is an emergency situation for me, I do that only if I am trapped by an obligation I can't change, like picking up my grandson and the airport.

Most places I travel in the rockies the highway departments do a good job of clearing the major highways in a day, two at the most. So most of the time we just sit and wait, leave early or arrive late. Rv parks that do winter camping have been really good about adjusting our dates because of storms. They are not super packed and understand about winter travel.

I am replacing my OEM tires with a slightly more aggressive winter tire. It's trade of between tire noise and winter traction. Personal choices...

But my first reaction to driving in snow storms is to sit and wait till roads are better.

This was not a fun day for me....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200209_091740094.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	38297
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @D2Reid. Up here in Canada it's common. Packed snow is like ice. If you are going to change tires, stay away from aggressive off road tires even if they do have the snow flake symbol on them. They might be great in snow but absolutely the worse on ice or icy conditions. Might as well put dragster slicks on. If you hardly drive in snowy conditions, just get a set of really good all seasons. If you drive in snow a lot like up here in Canada, then a good extra set of winter tires would be a good investment. That's what we do. We're not aloud to have chains but I know in some province and states you are. That would be a great option if waiting it out is not an option or waiting for the roads to get salted or sanded.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have chains for both axles of our Imagine 2500, same size tire as the 2019 Ranger that we no longer have. Cables are fine for snow, but on ice you'll roll, not bite. Waiting it out is always safer.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth knowing that when chains are required they generally mean TV and one axle of trailer. As always rules vary state by state.

The corollary is that when a highway is THAT bad staying put is VERY wise!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I siped my previous motorhome tires. They supposedly wear faster, but RV tires usually go bad before they wear out.
    I liked that they helped in possibly icy road conditions that I could not avoid or expected.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using chains on the trailer, only put on one side of axle. It works as a drag chain when brakes are activated. See link https://wsdot.wa.gov/sites/default/f...quirements.pdf
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast