User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll chime in here. I grew up and learned how to drive in Colorado. We rodeoed, so was almost always pulling horses. In the winter, we'd chain up the truck, on all 4 tires, due to it being a 4x4, and chain the back two tires in the trailer, one on each side. Someone posted that the rear chains act as a drag, in some cases, yes. For us, it made sure we had some kind of braking traction on either side. Chains on the trailer don't necessarily help it "grip" when driving, but do help on braking. This is what I'm be doing when we go full time. It's about $600.00 with of chains that I may never use, but I would rather have them and never need them, than need them and not have them.

Oh, a side note, we never drive over 35-40 MPH when chained, or in inclement (read snowy) weather. There were 4-5 cowboys in that truck, and always 4 horses in the trailer. We pulled both bumper pull 4 horse trailers and goosenecks. The gooseneck pulled better on ice and snow. Both trailers had brakes, albeit the gooseneck had disc brakes.

Just my experience. Oh, for me, the best rule for driving in ice and snow pack is, "take it slow and easy". Nothing is worth sliding into a ditch, or of the mountainside.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone for all of the great wealth of information on these boards!

My wife and I are about to embark on our first camping snowboard trip. We've been full-timing in our 2670MK since September but that time has been spent in temps above freezing. The plan is to hit Snowshoe, WV then Pennsylvania and up to Vermont if we can keep things feeling safe. I have absolutely zero experience towing on snow packed roads. Then again, I had nearly zero experience towing at all before we started our full-timing journey.

As for chains, I intend to have 3 sets ready for action. In a worst case scenario, we'll chain up all 4 tires of the 4x4 and the rear axle of the 2670Mk.

All of that's said, I fully expect that we'll be "snowed in" a couple of times given the fact that we're seeking mountains full of snow! When that happens, we'll just stay put at the RV park we're staying at until the roads are clear to move to the next location for snowboarding.

I'll try to come back and give an update on my findings as soon as I have some experience under my belt.

Stay safe everyone!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add. For those that dont have much experience with tire chains, you should do a test fit with all your chains before you are in a snow area. Not all chains install the same way, and it's better to know how to put them on ahead of time instead of trying to figure it out in the snow or on the side of a road in a chain up area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    One thing to add. For those that dont have much experience with tire chains, you should do a test fit with all your chains before you are in a snow area. Not all chains install the same way, and it's better to know how to put them on ahead of time instead of trying to figure it out in the snow or on the side of a road in a chain up area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    While freezing you butt and fingers off! Good point @FT4NOW!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcarrion View Post
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone for all of the great wealth of information on these boards!

My wife and I are about to embark on our first camping snowboard trip. We've been full-timing in our 2670MK since September but that time has been spent in temps above freezing. The plan is to hit Snowshoe, WV then Pennsylvania and up to Vermont if we can keep things feeling safe. I have absolutely zero experience towing on snow packed roads. Then again, I had nearly zero experience towing at all before we started our full-timing journey.

As for chains, I intend to have 3 sets ready for action. In a worst case scenario, we'll chain up all 4 tires of the 4x4 and the rear axle of the 2670Mk.

All of that's said, I fully expect that we'll be "snowed in" a couple of times given the fact that we're seeking mountains full of snow! When that happens, we'll just stay put at the RV park we're staying at until the roads are clear to move to the next location for snowboarding.

I'll try to come back and give an update on my findings as soon as I have some experience under my belt.

Stay safe everyone!
    I think your rig is a bumper pull. I would expect that to be not as good as a 5th wheel due to not as much weight on your tow vehicle. Make sure you have good tread on you tow vehicle tires. Practice stopping on snow before you have to stop hard. If no one is passing you then you are going too fast. Good luck!
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12