User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I believe that I have the same fridge in my 2021 398M. I was somewhat concerned when after ordering it, that I found all the complaints/mods about it here. But I have been quite happy with it. And I am in Phoenix AZ which is about as tough an enviroment as it gets. I do think that they might have changed the fans though, as my fridge draws a lot more than 1 amp. I have not measured it in isolation, but from what I see on the Victron monitor it draws between 3 and 5 amps. I can really hear the fans when they kick on, so they must be pretty powerful
    The other reason might be that I never run the fridge with a hot interior. I have done this on all of my coaches. The Momentum is nice in that I can monitor the temps while underway, and if they get to 80 start the generator and AC without stopping. In fact It can even be set to do this automatically. None of my RV fridges would work well with a hot interior.

As for another point. I see that they claim their 12V fridge compressors operate 64% in of the time in their tests with the door closed. This is already more than the 50% you are thinking.. AS the temp rises, and/or the door opens, that 64% figure WILL rise. How much is debatable and depends on conditions, but I do not think you will achieve anywhere near the battery life you are thinking of in actual use.
    Just curious where you saw that info about operating 64% of the time? I had not seen that. I will still very likely do (have done) the swap as I have a 2118 that just does not operate sufficiently for me. I can't deal with low to mid 40s in the fresh food compartments and 20 degrees in the freezer....and that is pretty normal for mine. There are times that those temperatures do go down a bit lower than what I stated, but it's not often enough to make me happy. My primary goals are two fold. 1. A refrigerator that provide proper temperatures in the fresh food compartments and the freezer compartments. 2. Having enough battery reserve to be able to drive 10-11 hours if needed which would equate to maybe 12 to 13 hours of not being plugged into shore power....and I believe I should be able to achieve those two goals with the 12V conversion and 304 AH of LFP battery power.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://jc-refrigeration.com/product-information/

I still think it will work for you since you do not boondock. And your temps are not extremely high. But without being able to run the AC under tow, it will run more than you think in the summer. Still, it should work.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    https://jc-refrigeration.com/product-information/

I still think it will work for you since you do not boondock. And your temps are not extremely high. But without being able to run the AC under tow, it will run more than you think in the summer. Still, it should work.
    Actually, I could run the A/C while towing, I just never do. I can use the one connect to turn the generator on, then use the phone app for my Micro-Aire thermostat and fire it up.....I just never do though. In most instances, once I'm set up at the campsite, turning on all three A/C units cools it down pretty quickly, but I understand what you are saying about the fridge operating in 85 maybe 90 degree heat vs. 70s while going down the road.

Thanks for the link to the JC refrigeration info about 64%. I wonder if that is still accurate, as the web page is dated 2017.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on efficiency should one run their RV frig on gas or electric when plugged into shore power?
    Dream, explore & endlessly discover.
    2020 Momument 376TH
    2020 Ford F-450
    2017 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveThisJourney View Post
    Based on efficiency should one run their RV frig on gas or electric when plugged into shore power?
    First of all, welcome to the forum, I see that this is your first post. We have a tremendous number of very knowledgeable folks on here, many of which have years and years of experience camping....and can provide first hand experiences along with advice based on both knowledge and experience.

Having said that, you might want to consider asking that question in it's own thread, since this thread pertains to 12V compressor type refrigerators and would likely get buried in here, since it is mostly off topic for this thread.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you want to measure efficiency?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. We were experiencing some cooling issues with our frig and a mobile repair technician recommended that we leave ours running off gas vs electricity, regardless if hooked up to shore power. He said that heat exchange with gas was more efficient than running off electricity and the unit didn’t have to run as often.
    2020 Momument 376TH
    2020 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. We were experiencing some cooling issues with our frig and a mobile repair technician recommended that we leave ours running off gas vs electricity, regardless if hooked up to shore power. He said that heat exchange with gas was more efficient than running off electricity and the unit didn’t have to run as often.
    Tammy, Welcome to the group! Many people feel that these style of refrigerators work better on gas because the burner heats up faster and allows the cycle to happen faster ( create steam to draw out heat). The electric elements take longer to heat up making the cycle take longer. Many people will choose to use electric when in full hookups to preserve propane or because it does work better on propane.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had absorption fridges I just left the button on AUTO and where ever I was the fridge would automatically switch. I never worried about efficiency because I was never anywhere in particular for weeks on end. Typical scenario would be 2-5 days dry camping then maybe a St park or RV park for a few days then back to dry, etc. Easy thing about the AUTO select was that I didn't have to remember to switch the power source when leaving or arriving. I'm not a full timer, just a retired go anytime anywhere camper.
    Since this thread is about 12V compressor fridges I'll mention that since we now have a 12V fridge and solar I never plug the TT in when at home. Batteries are always being charged by the solar 24/7. No need to worry about efficiency as power is free. Batteries are also being charged while traveling to and from campsites. No issues with propane while driving ( I was never concerned anyways though).
    Last edited by goducks14; 01-02-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Redapple.
    2020 Momument 376TH
    2020 Ford F-450

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast