User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Although it is available, MORryde recommends against the oil bath hubs (I have had a conversation with one of their engineers regarding this). It has to do with the smaller internal volume of the hubs compared to the hubs and axles on tractor-trailers.

Rob
    Had the same conversation except I think I befuddled him as he kept trying to draw parallel to commercial, but nowhere near those supported weights or rotating masses... I also have oil baths on my dump trailer and flat hauler and both of those trailer makers use them standard (Dexter axles) as well. Incredibly reliable IME. Right lube selection and I do not believe there would ever be concern. I hypothesize it is more an issue around them not being familiar or seen in the RV industry rather one of performance, and it's also true the owner needs to make habit of the visual check each move.
    Last edited by geotex1; 12-31-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORryde has a range of rubber sheer springs and they select the springs according to the wheel weights regardless of whether the suspension units are the 7K or 8K. Choosing the 8K suspension units will not result in a harsher ride. At the GVWR for your rig, definitely go with the 8K units.

Rob
    Thanks Rob! Are you happy with your IS? We don't plan on going full time, but we do plan on spending several months (3-8) traveling, with Alaska on our near term bucket list. Everything I've read, and video's I've seen make me believe this is almost a "must have" upgrade. Were you able to immediately tell a difference? Thanks
    -Mike
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My appointment is for October '22. I asked MorRyde what they suggested and they said for my rig 7,000 lbs is fine.

Have you asked MorRyde for their recommendation?
    Not yet. My interactions so far have been via email. I hope to decide and schedule next week.
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Thanks Rob! Are you happy with your IS? We don't plan on going full time, but we do plan on spending several months (3-8) traveling, with Alaska on our near term bucket list. Everything I've read, and video's I've seen make me believe this is almost a "must have" upgrade. Were you able to immediately tell a difference? Thanks
    -Mike
    If you've read back to my earliest posts on the topic, you'll know that we had the IS installed on our 2016 Reflection 337 (spring/summer 2015 build date) after a little over a year in, and 10,000 miles on the Reflection. We had a bent spindle on the Reflection with tire wear and tracking issues, so the resolution of those issues was immediately and obviously apparent. We also noticed an improved ride for the coach as evidenced by things staying in place on rough roads that used to be tossed around. There was zero abnormal tire wear after the IS installation. Another really noticeable difference is that the disc brakes would stop the Reflection in a little over half the distance that the drum brakes would from a given speed. That was a real eye-opener!

We had the IS (and disc brakes) installed on our Solitude prior to delivery, so we don't have an A/B comparison on this coach. We have also had no issues and good service from the IS in the 22 months and 6,100 miles since we moved into the Solitude (we've moved a lot less during the pandemic). We expected the same performance from the IS on the Solitude as we had on the Reflection and we've gotten it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Hi all, We decided to upgrade our rig to the Morryde IS w/ disk brakes hopefully mid 2022 if we can get scheduled. Everything I've seen and read about them is quite impressive, and since we plan to travel extensively and do an Alaska trip, the IS seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. I really just need to decide if I should go with the 7K or 8K? Our 376THS is triple axle rated at 20,000 lbs. Seems the 7K IS would do the job to 21K, but the cost difference is minimal between the two? I also understand the bearings and brakes are bigger? Can anyone tell me if they had the choice between the 7 and 8K and why they went with the one they chose? My gut says just go with the 8K, but there is also the additional weight to consider. Thanks
    -Mike
    I would not sweat the extra weight as it is unsprung. IOW, the extra weight is supporting the rig. So it really doesn't count except for the sticker.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I would not sweat the extra weight as it is unsprung. IOW, the extra weight is supporting the rig. So it really doesn't count except for the sticker.
    100% agree.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Another really noticeable difference is that the disc brakes would stop the Reflection in a little over half the distance that the drum brakes would from a given speed. That was a real eye-opener!...Rob
    It's really amazing that everyone thinks that their standard trailer brakes are doing just fine...until they actually pull with disk brakes...! What a difference!! People just don't understand how bad the puck drum brakes are until someone jumps right in front of them and slams on the brakes!

While heading to Florida on 12/23/21 just south of Dayton, Ohio, traffic was moving at normal speed until we came around a blind curve to see everyone stopped dead. I am convinced that if I hadn't installed disk brakes we would have had, at the least, a major crash and probable injuries, not to mention...not make it to Florida. After the panic subsided I told my wife that that exact situation is why I insisted on spending the money to install disk brakes on our Solitude! It was one of the best decisions I ever made!!!
    Last edited by fez111; 01-05-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My appointment is for October '22. I asked MorRyde what they suggested and they said for my rig 7,000 lbs is fine.

Have you asked MorRyde for their recommendation?
    I'm scheduled for November 2022. They recommended the 7K as well. She told me the disk brakes were the same and the GVWR would not change even with 8K suspension.
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12