User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mackinaw City to Niagara Falls (Best route)

I'm currently planning an RV trip for the summer of 22 beginning in central Florida with our primary destination being the Mackinaw Island area. I'm thinking about heading over to Niagara Falls from Mackinaw City. Google maps shows I can head east from Flint, MI on I69 and it's only about 4 hours. That route goes through Canada. RV Trip Wizard routes me way down below Lake Erie and through Cleveland but that route is about 18 hours.

Question: Has anyone on this forum taken the route through Canada and is it a good route? What do I need to be concerned with? I assume we would have to take our passports but anything else to be on the alert about while traveling through Canada?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMortons View Post
    I'm currently planning an RV trip for the summer of 22 beginning in central Florida with our primary destination being the Mackinaw Island area. I'm thinking about heading over to Niagara Falls from Mackinaw City. Google maps shows I can head east from Flint, MI on I69 and it's only about 4 hours. That route goes through Canada. RV Trip Wizard routes me way down below Lake Erie and through Cleveland but that route is about 18 hours.

Question: Has anyone on this forum taken the route through Canada and is it a good route? What do I need to be concerned with? I assume we would have to take our passports but anything else to be on the alert about while traveling through Canada?

Thanks
    Went that way in 2018, good roads through Canada, check the web for border crossing requirements, ie fire arms and veggies but honestly the crossing back to US was the bigger pain, but neither an issue. These days a proof of vacs and a Covid test likely required. Gas,up,in the US

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're departing from Mackinaw , have you given any thought of crossing at the Sault Ste. Marie crossing just a little further north? There is plenty in that area to fill a few days as well. If you're not time constricted stops along the way could be fun.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mackinaw to Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Went that way in 2018, good roads through Canada, check the web for border crossing requirements, ie fire arms and veggies but honestly the crossing back to US was the bigger pain, but neither an issue. These days a proof of vacs and a Covid test likely required. Gas,up,in the US

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your response and the information. I appreciate it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that 12 hours out of Mackinaw City you stop at a Bar to have a brew.

Just don't talk to the girl...

Sorry - couldn't resist

Bob Seger - Roll Me Away...

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the covid situation, I'd pass on Niagara Falls this trip because pretty far out of the way avoiding the border crossings. Instead, I'd take extra days and go down US31 from Mackinaw City to Petosky and Traverse City. Beautiful area.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did exactly that in 2019 on our way home from Alaska. We did an overnight on the MI side of the border at Port Huron township RV Park and the next morning we went through Canada at Sarnia to NY and stayed for a couple days at Four Mile Creek state park. The 3 1/2 hour trip from MI to NY gave us time to set up and then drive in to Niagara Falls to scope things out for the next day.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH