Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_BANE View Post
    Also, I spoke with the folks at CJC Off-road for recommendations and they suggested the Thuren track bar. They also echoed your point here that I’m pushing into 3500 territory.

In the end, I’m happy with the results using the factory ride height and knowing that more weight in the garage = less pin weight = better ride and more margin in the truck’s capacity. I’ll probably add the track bar and possibly sway bars to tighten things up a bit. I’m also going to look into maybe replacing my heavy Pullrite slider with a sidewinder pinbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you go to the Sidewinder, you will be increasing your pin weight. The Sidewinder is about 150 lbs heavier than the regular pin box. So what you will be doing, is by going with a regular hitch, loose about 80 lbs with the hitch, but gain 150(ish) lbs on pin weight. I have a short bed RAM, and use a Sidewinder on my trailer to gain pin weight, due to the trailer having a light pin weight. Actual weight on the truck going from a slider to the Sidewinder is pretty close to the same.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip. In my research I also want a fan of not being able to get the 20k pin box with the cushion. I’ll stick with my slider for now

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_BANE View Post
    Ok, for the return trip home I filled the aux fresh water tank till it came out of the overflow and moved as much weight as I could to the garage without emptying the cabinets. For the first leg this was the only difference, redistributed weight. It was slightly better, just enough to notice. But I still got a lot of sway under the same conditions: uphill acceleration. One other change was the trailer brake was finally effective at quelling the sway.

So for the second leg I set the air ride suspension back up to the default height. This was the leg I would reach the same CAT scale I hit on the way down as well as the Tejon Pass on I5. It was almost night and day better! I could pull uphill with almost no sway at all. Usually only some of the bigger bumps would initiate the sway, and the trailer brake was still able to reign things in. The pass had a strong crosswind today too but it didn’t affect the trailer one bit. I even set the cruise control this time and only the worst bridge expansion joints caused sway (last time it would sway anytime the cruise control started to accelerate on a hill).

At the scale, my pin weight dropped 120# to 2800#. And trailer weight went up with the fresh water and my extra propane tank to 14460# front 14220#. For those keeping score that’s a 19% pin weight.

What does all this mean? I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s conclusive, but it is interesting that I did the complete opposite of conventional wisdom to reduce sway. I added weight to the back of the trailer, lightening the pin weight, and raising the trailer to an even higher nose up attitude. This suggests, as many of you already have, that the issue is more likely the truck than the trailer. I think the trailer likes to be nose high and likes a lighter pin weight.

As for the truck, my guess is that with it set at the default/level height, the air suspension gets it’s full length of travel, a stiffer ride with more air in the bags, and therefore is better able to cope with the load, which was also 120# lighter this time.

Also, I spoke with the folks at CJC Off-road for recommendations and they suggested the Thuren track bar. They also echoed your point here that I’m pushing into 3500 territory.

In the end, I’m happy with the results using the factory ride height and knowing that more weight in the garage = less pin weight = better ride and more margin in the truck’s capacity. I’ll probably add the track bar and possibly sway bars to tighten things up a bit. I’m also going to look into maybe replacing my heavy Pullrite slider with a sidewinder pinbox.

For anyone else that comes across this thread, the reason it's better in the Standard/Default position instead of "Alt Position" (Lowered) is because Alt Level Position in intended to be used when hooking up and any time you need the front lowered or softened up for a rough road or such. When you want to hook your trailer up that was taken off the truck while in the high position (squatted from weight) it won't line up so you can use the Alt Position to lower it. At least that is my understanding and what the manual tells us.

This also makes a lot of sense on why you get the sway, you don't have the extra air pressure in the bags helping support your load, especially since you are a 3/4 Ton that is overloaded.
    2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo
    2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled
    KTM 250 XC-f, KTM 300 XC, GasGas EX250f, KTM 125 XC, Kawi KLX140f

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345