User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I thought about adding the rear air suspension as well but I did a bit of research and found that I can add it after market with a lifetime warranty, including the bags for less money. It will not autolevel but I am not concerned with that but more concerned about the life of the factory airbags once the 3 year warranty is done. I sure hope that the sunroof doesn't drop payload that much as I plan to buy a 377MBS or equivalent to tow with this truck and need the payload.

Rob

Rob
    I added my own with an onboard, remote controlled compressor. This allows the truck to squat enough to be level loaded , and I can adjust pressure for best ride. Pretty sure only tire option on a dually is 17’s. My Longhorn has just north of 5300 lbs payload. Loaded with everything except sunroof. If doing much mountain towing , go .410 gears. I have .373 with HO engine. At times in Colorado I lock out 6th gear. You didn’t ask , but , 15000 miles towing with my 2020 average fuel usage is 9 mpg. Mandatory option for towing is the 50 gallon fuel tank.
    Charlie
    Last edited by cfowler55; 01-02-2022 at 08:31 AM.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The Limited is a basic construction type truck, yes it can have some big towing payload numbers, but I don't think you will like it in the long run, too basic. Ours is a 2018 Laramie Longhorn Southfork. The Southfork is an interior option that was meant for Texas trucks (GVWR 14,000#). In our signature line you can see the truck's and our rig's specs. We have the HO Cummins with the AISIN, IMO that is what you want, we would not have it any other way. Our axle ratio is 3.73. It's a good compromise gear, good for towing and good mileage when not towing. Since our rig weighs 15,500# and the pin weight is 3550# our average fuel mileage towing is 9-10 @ 65 miles per hour, not towing it will hit 20 mpg. Its max tow @ 24,770#. Yes the 4.10 is a tad better towing capable but maybe a tad worse in fuel mileage.
    We do not have the auto level (air ride) option and we have found we don't need it with our rig. The rear suspension sets 2 inches higher, and hitched up it squats 1.5 inches, the rig tows level and the ride is great. Yes since we have the Laramie Longhorn we have the enhanced lighting, camera and mirror package.

All of these 1 tons will have tow/haul mode and exhaust break, you will find towing the 380FL which also maybe pin heavier, you'll love the exhaust break. Driving through the Smoky Mountains 7-8 % grades the truck performed outstanding.
    It's true the more major options you add the lower the pay load. But some options will not change the payload, like our heated and cooled seats. Now it may sound trivial to have heated and cooled seats but it's wonderful on those long tow days. Yes the diesel and the AISIN will be a little more expensive in maintenance, but you're investing in a 380FL, you're better off investing in a truck more than capable of handling that investment.

Now we have right at 60,000 miles on our truck and 8600 miles on our rig. We love them both! Now one thing I'm going to tell you about that isn't talked about much. Make sure the truck you buy does not have the NEXGEN tires on it. Ours did and they are terrible and get belt separation, we had to replace all 6 at 20,000 miles. Now we have Michelin and have run them 38,000 miles, love them. While we are talking tires, you will find on a dually the front tires will wear faster on the tire edges. It's normal. This is caused by the steering geometry, the tires leaning in or out in a full lock turn, trying to drag the rear duals in a turn. Rotate the front tires often. Ours has the alcoa rims with the rear inner being steel. The only way to "offically" rotate the tires is to demount them all. We have never done this, but just move the outside rears to the front.

The only thing we wish we could change on our truck --- a little bigger fuel tank, ours is 32 gallons, it's ok but a little bigger stock OEM would be better. For us in how we travel we have no intentions of hauling around 80 gallons of fuel. Big stock fuel tanks or aftermarket bed big fuel tanks will lower your payload.

Our .02
    Steven,

The Limited is the "new" loaded version of Ram trucks. There is a Limited Longhorn that has the 2 color seats.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The Limited is a basic construction type truck, yes it can have some big towing payload numbers, but I don't think you will like it in the long run, too basic. Ours is a 2018 Laramie Longhorn Southfork. The Southfork is an interior option that was meant for Texas trucks (GVWR 14,000#). In our signature line you can see the truck's and our rig's specs. We have the HO Cummins with the AISIN, IMO that is what you want, we would not have it any other way. Our axle ratio is 3.73. It's a good compromise gear, good for towing and good mileage when not towing. Since our rig weighs 15,500# and the pin weight is 3550# our average fuel mileage towing is 9-10 @ 65 miles per hour, not towing it will hit 20 mpg. Its max tow @ 24,770#. Yes the 4.10 is a tad better towing capable but maybe a tad worse in fuel mileage.
    We do not have the auto level (air ride) option and we have found we don't need it with our rig. The rear suspension sets 2 inches higher, and hitched up it squats 1.5 inches, the rig tows level and the ride is great. Yes since we have the Laramie Longhorn we have the enhanced lighting, camera and mirror package.

All of these 1 tons will have tow/haul mode and exhaust break, you will find towing the 380FL which also maybe pin heavier, you'll love the exhaust break. Driving through the Smoky Mountains 7-8 % grades the truck performed outstanding.
    It's true the more major options you add the lower the pay load. But some options will not change the payload, like our heated and cooled seats. Now it may sound trivial to have heated and cooled seats but it's wonderful on those long tow days. Yes the diesel and the AISIN will be a little more expensive in maintenance, but you're investing in a 380FL, you're better off investing in a truck more than capable of handling that investment.

Now we have right at 60,000 miles on our truck and 8600 miles on our rig. We love them both! Now one thing I'm going to tell you about that isn't talked about much. Make sure the truck you buy does not have the NEXGEN tires on it. Ours did and they are terrible and get belt separation, we had to replace all 6 at 20,000 miles. Now we have Michelin and have run them 38,000 miles, love them. While we are talking tires, you will find on a dually the front tires will wear faster on the tire edges. It's normal. This is caused by the steering geometry, the tires leaning in or out in a full lock turn, trying to drag the rear duals in a turn. Rotate the front tires often. Ours has the alcoa rims with the rear inner being steel. The only way to "offically" rotate the tires is to demount them all. We have never done this, but just move the outside rears to the front.

The only thing we wish we could change on our truck --- a little bigger fuel tank, ours is 32 gallons, it's ok but a little bigger stock OEM would be better. For us in how we travel we have no intentions of hauling around 80 gallons of fuel. Big stock fuel tanks or aftermarket bed big fuel tanks will lower your payload.

Our .02

Hi Steven:
    I think when you said Limited that you meant to say Tradesman.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Hi Steven:
    I think when you said Limited that you meant to say Tradesman.
    *el Rojo

oops, gosh yes I screwed up, I changed my post.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FCA does not make this easy.

We bought our SRW Laramie off the lot - it was loaded and in retrospect, I probably would have reduced the options some had we ordered (sunroof and power rear window definitely) but I'm not sure that would have changed the placard payload number (see below) which is 4014. I had it on the CAT scales and our real payload with full tanks (32 gal fuel) was 3280 with just the two of us in the truck so there are several hundred pounds of weight that have to be factory installed options not deducted from the payload number (RAM does have a disclaimer on that).

RAM refers to a 33% option weight defined as follows: "33% option weight
    Combined weight of all production installed options that have a projected sales volume of more than 33% and comply with EPA rules." Darned if I can draw any conclusions from that but note the following caveat :"Payload and Max Trailer Weights are ESTIMATED values."

FCA's towing charts typically give you the stats for the Tradesman with a disclaimer "Payload:
    The combined maximum allowable weight of options, cargo and passengers that the truck is designed to carry." They don't define options very well - is it the 33% rule? The HO/Aisin combination costs you about 170 lbs of payload over the SO though.

They also compute base weight with full tanks : "Base Weight
    The weight of a standard equipped sales unit (vehicle line, body style, GVWR, engine, transmission & electrification) with full quantities of fuel, lubricant & coolant."
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick note that in the Big Horn trim you can get the LED headlights as an option which we just did and you don't have to pay for the leather if you prefer cloth like we do. The other thing is that you don't automatically get the 4.10 gears with the HO. 3.73 gears are standard with the HO as well. If you go with the MaxTow option then you get the 4.10 gears or you can order them seperately.

Rob

Yes, sir I agree here I haven't seen any but yes you can order one like you just mention.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just ordered out Ram 3500 but in a SRW but options wise would be much the same so here is what we ordered.
    1. HO Cummins with the Aisin Transmission - Excellent for towing
    2. power folding tow mirrors
    3. Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck package
    4. premium lighting as well as LED headlights.
    5. Trailer Tire pressure monitoring.
    6. Stayed with the 18" tires. 20s are nice but expensive to replace as I have them on my 2019.
    7. High mounted Center light with camera. Good for hitching up the 5ver.
    8. Level C or B package on the Big Horn model.
    9. You should be fine with the 3.73 axle but could go 4.10 axle but the 3.73 gives plenty of towing capacity for the trailer you have picked.

Most everything else is what you personally want. DW wanted a sunroof in this one so we also ordered that. The safety package is nice too but we didn't order that one.

Rob
    What were you told as an expected delivery date from time of order for your 3500? I am hearing some dealers are telling customers that it could be 6 mths.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    What were you told as an expected delivery date from time of order for your 3500? I am hearing some dealers are telling customers that it could be 6 mths.
    Dealer did not make a commitment yet. The Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck prep is on backorder and we want the power folding mirrors with the blind spot monitoring and cross traffice alert as well which they cannot order yet but expect to in the next month or so. Chip shortage and all. Once these are confirmed we should have a better date. He did say that one that he ordered in June is due now so 6 months sounds pretty close.

We are not in a hurry as the 2019 RAM 3500 that we have does everything we need it to do. Only did the deal because the dealer gave us what we paid for the 2019 for trade in value and still took 7K off of the new truck so now we get some of the options that we missed on the 2019 and a 3 year newer truck. Dealer also guarantees the trade in value no matter how many kilometers I put on it. Told me to go to Florida a couple of times, which I would love to but no time off at work and Covid is making travel a nightmare.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealer did not make a commitment yet. The Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck prep is on backorder and we want the power folding mirrors with the blind spot monitoring and cross traffice alert as well which they cannot order yet but expect to in the next month or so. Chip shortage and all. Once these are confirmed we should have a better date. He did say that one that he ordered in June is due now so 6 months sounds pretty close.

We are not in a hurry as the 2019 RAM 3500 that we have does everything we need it to do. Only did the deal because the dealer gave us what we paid for the 2019 for trade in value and still took 7K off of the new truck so now we get some of the options that we missed on the 2019 and a 3 year newer truck. Dealer also guarantees the trade in value no matter how many kilometers I put on it. Told me to go to Florida a couple of times, which I would love to but no time off at work and Covid is making travel a nightmare.

Rob
    I wish the dealers here were as willing to negotiate and make a deal as yours is! Perhaps I should investigate dealing in Waterloo!!! All kidding aside, I have heard of a few guys getting better deals in Manitoba then they could in Alberta so they made the trip. I have gone further than Waterloo for deals in the past!
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only got 9k miles on my truck but love it. As to payload, I would do away with the sun roof. I think it steals about 200 lbs from the payload.

Mine is the Longhorn with just about every option. Since I was replacing a 2004, the power and options are amazing. As my last truck I went hog wild.

Best options:
    exhaust brake
    active cruise control
    heated steering wheel, as well as the heat/cool seats
    interior is awesome compared to the Fords
    great stereo system
    get the aux switches just in case
    TPMS
    power and lighting in the bed
    I think I have 6 cameras, they are everywhereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Rig.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	38402
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Ram 3500 DRW.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	38403
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast