User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Options for new Ram 3500?

I see you have a Ram 3500 dually. How do like if ? I am looking at a 2022 Solitude 380 FL and getting a Ram 3500 (Limited ) dually for my tow vehicle!! Any suggestions on what to make sure what options to get on my Ram 3500 !!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Karfre,

A couple of tips... since you didn't use "Reply With Quote" when you posted this in the other thread, we're not sure of whom you are asking the question. You can also tag someone using the "@" symbol @Karfre) and they will get a notification.

It's best to PM (private message) someone or start a new thread rather than ask a completely unrelated question in an existing thread. (This thread is about Solitude Electronics). The thread in which you posted this is about Solitude electronics so I have moved your post to its own thread in Tow Vehicles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that we have decided on our 5th wheel (Solitude 380FL) and our Tow Vehicle 2022 Ram 3500 dually, I would greatly appreciate som suggestions on options to get on my Ram 3500. I need a payload for my truck at around 5400 lbs & 19000 tow capacity.
    1. Which diesel the HO or the Tubro.
    2 which Axel ratio combination
    3 Any options that I should make sure to add
    All help would be greatly appreciated!! Hope to be full time RVers by June 1st 2022����

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karfre View Post
    Now that we have decided on our 5th wheel (Solitude 380FL) and our Tow Vehicle 2022 Ram 3500 dually, I would greatly appreciate som suggestions on options to get on my Ram 3500. I need a payload for my truck at around 5400 lbs & 19000 tow capacity.
    All help would be greatly appreciated!! Hope to be full time RVers by June 1st 2022����
    We just ordered out Ram 3500 but in a SRW but options wise would be much the same so here is what we ordered.
    1. HO Cummins with the Aisin Transmission - Excellent for towing
    2. power folding tow mirrors
    3. Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck package
    4. premium lighting as well as LED headlights.
    5. Trailer Tire pressure monitoring.
    6. Stayed with the 18" tires. 20s are nice but expensive to replace as I have them on my 2019.
    7. High mounted Center light with camera. Good for hitching up the 5ver.
    8. Level C or B package on the Big Horn model.
    9. You should be fine with the 3.73 axle but could go 4.10 axle but the 3.73 gives plenty of towing capacity for the trailer you have picked.

Most everything else is what you personally want. DW wanted a sunroof in this one so we also ordered that. The safety package is nice too but we didn't order that one.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The H.O. Aisin will get you 25,000+ of towing with the 4.10 gears, like it was said before the 3.73 is good but since you ask I would go with the 4.10 gears. Now the more option you get the lower payload you will have, the Big Horn will do but for my old eyes I like the LED's head and fog lights so I will bump that up to the Laramie but if you don't care for that I would look at the Big Horn Package.

In the Tradesman trim will get you probably in the 5600lbs to 6100lbs in payload but that is with lower option but if you don't care about that well then the tradesman trim is worth looking at.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    The H.O. Aisin will get you 25,000+ of towing with the 4.10 gears, like it was said before the 3.73 is good but since you ask I would go with the 4.10 gears. Now the more option you get the lower payload you will have, the Big Horn will do but for my old eyes I like the LED's head and fog lights so I will bump that up to the Laramie but if you don't care for that I would look at the Big Horn Package.

In the Tradesman trim will get you probably in the 5600lbs to 6100lbs in payload but that is with lower option but if you don't care about that well then the tradesman trim is worth looking at.
    Just a quick note that in the Big Horn trim you can get the LED headlights as an option which we just did and you don't have to pay for the leather if you prefer cloth like we do. The other thing is that you don't automatically get the 4.10 gears with the HO. 3.73 gears are standard with the HO as well. If you go with the MaxTow option then you get the 4.10 gears or you can order them seperately.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I was told the 4x4 and sunroof are 2 options which reduce payload the most.
    We have both. I would also add the rear air suspension.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karfre View Post
    The Tradesman is a basic construction type truck, yes it can have some big towing payload numbers, but I don't think you will like it in the long run, too basic. Ours is a 2018 Laramie Longhorn Southfork. The Southfork is an interior option that was meant for Texas trucks (GVWR 14,000#). In our signature line you can see the truck's and our rig's specs. We have the HO Cummins with the AISIN, IMO that is what you want, we would not have it any other way. Our axle ratio is 3.73. It's a good compromise gear, good for towing and good mileage when not towing. Since our rig weighs 15,500# and the pin weight is 3550# our average fuel mileage towing is 9-10 @ 65 miles per hour, not towing it will hit 20 mpg. Its max tow @ 24,770#. Yes the 4.10 is a tad better towing capable but maybe a tad worse in fuel mileage.
    We do not have the auto level (air ride) option and we have found we don't need it with our rig. The rear suspension sets 2 inches higher, and hitched up it squats 1.5 inches, the rig tows level and the ride is great. Yes since we have the Laramie Longhorn we have the enhanced lighting, camera and mirror package.

All of these 1 tons will have tow/haul mode and exhaust break, you will find towing the 380FL which also maybe pin heavier, you'll love the exhaust break. Driving through the Smoky Mountains 7-8 % grades the truck performed outstanding.
    It's true the more major options you add the lower the payload. But some options will not change the payload much if at all, like our heated and cooled seats. Now it may sound trivial to have heated and cooled seats but it's wonderful on those long tow days. Yes the diesel and the AISIN will be a little more expensive in maintenance, but you're investing in a 380FL, you're better off investing in a truck more than capable of handling that investment.

Now we have right at 60,000 miles on our truck and 8600 miles on our rig. We love them both! Now one thing I'm going to tell you about that isn't talked about much. Make sure the truck you buy does not have the NEXGEN tires on it. Ours did and they are terrible and get belt separation, we had to replace all 6 at 20,000 miles. Now we have Michelin and have run them 38,000 miles, love them. While we are talking tires, you will find on a dually the front tires will wear faster on the tire edges. It's normal. This is caused by the steering geometry, the tires leaning in or out in a full lock turn, trying to drag the rear duals in a turn. Rotate the front tires often. Ours has the alcoa rims with the rear inner being steel. The only way to "offically" rotate the tires is to demount them all. We have never done this, but just move the outside rears to the front.

The only thing we wish we could change on our truck --- a little bigger fuel tank, ours is 32 gallons, it's ok but a little bigger stock OEM would be better. For us in how we travel we have no intentions of hauling around 80 gallons of fuel, that's great for maximizing lower fuel costs, but big stock fuel tanks or aftermarket bed big fuel tanks will lower your payload.

Our .02
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-02-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at the limited, is there anything that it doesn't have on it? I have a 3500 SRW Laramie, I bought it off the lot, and two things that I wish it did not have is the sunroof, and the remote rear window. Takes a chunk of payload, and I don't use them. If this is going to be your truck for the long run, I would get the 4.10 gears (only available on the dually), and the H.O./Aisin in a long bed. That will set you up for almost any weight trailer in the future.

If you are looking at used, stay away from the '19-20 diesel, until they actually do the recall on the fuel pump in them. That is supposed to start this month, but reality will be something else.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    From what I was told the 4x4 and sunroof are 2 options which reduce payload the most.
    We have both. I would also add the rear air suspension.
    Bob A.
    I thought about adding the rear air suspension as well but I did a bit of research and found that I can add it after market with a lifetime warranty, including the bags for less money. It will not autolevel but I am not concerned with that but more concerned about the life of the factory airbags once the 3 year warranty is done. I sure hope that the sunroof doesn't drop payload that much as I plan to buy a 377MBS or equivalent to tow with this truck and need the payload.

Rob

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast